Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 16-04-2005, 00:39   #21
Kingreno

The time of TANKS!

In theory that is.

Dutch research is massive. We monopolise a rather large ammount of techs only to sell them for huge gpt from the AI. Mass Production gave me plenty but the real cash cow was Mot Trans:

First up mister "I am very very rich":

86.94KB

fllowed by his neighbour "I am a little bit less rich but still very rich":

93.31KB

Please note I timed spices to these deals as that will make it far less likely they will declare war.

Of course there are 4 other civs, but they are on welfare at the moment as only teh Mongols gave me a measily 34 gpt for the knowledge of Tanks. I gave Egypt and America Mot Trans as well to prevent Beam getting it in a good deal.

Now what does this do for our economy my dear Minister Zalm? Well:

19.16KB

About 600 gpt will expire in 7 turns...just when the next tech comes in (though I do think someone will get it sooner...).

Domestic, we finished the FP in Rome!! This gave a solid MFG boost and made most Roman cities more productive. I bought Factories (hey, what else can I do with the money?) and most are on CH/lib/Uni now.
Also, most of the land is railroaded.
The core is "perfectionised". the 5 biggest cities have all improvements,yes that includes Cathedrals, but no colosseums. I have Police Stations too and in the event of a longer war I hope this will benefit me more then the few extra units I could have built instead. Fact remains that I need zero luxslider while Beam needs 20% last time I checked.
Small wonders include the Battlefield Med (very very good SW), Intel agency (with 10k in the vault we may be tempted) and the to be built Wall street (5th SE is not done yet).

140.97KB

Compared to:

66.74KB

I seem to have the upper hand...the only thing that could realy screw me is Beam's free tech, it could lead to all kinds of messy stuff and I don't want that. I do estimate however that I can research roughly 1.7 times his speed so any free tech can be caught up in say 25 turns (about 10 turns per tech in Modern era).

Another problem is that Byzantine Railways seem to be out of business...there must be an AI unit on that mountain. He used to get Iron from Egypt but some moron's cultural border stole that from Cleo (and Beam).

23.79KB

Also, Beam is trailing slightly at the moment but bagging either Flight or electronics will get him even easily. In the end I decided to give Beam Iron for several reasons, first, it will guarantee peace and since I am bigger the longer it takes the more powerful I will get. Second, if he lands Rocketry or fission he is one step closer to Nukes. He will be less inclined to nuke me when we trade (though this psycho factor is debatable)...

66.06KB

stay tuned.
Old 16-04-2005, 00:51   #22
Pastorius
Custard used tile

If I was Beam, I d nuke just for good measure. He is the

Quote:
quote:
First up mister "I am very very rich":
(...)
fllowed by his neighbour "I am a little bit less rich but still very rich":

PS: I notice at least 1 speeling error []
Old 16-04-2005, 05:04   #23
Rik Meleet

I would nuke you if I was in Beams position. What's there to loose for Beam ? According to your report he has been at war with most civs on and off, so the instant war-declarations don't hurt him a lot; he can't get good trade deals from Furious civs anyway.

On top of that; Beam would surely realise that nuking you is a good way to slow you down when you are so far ahead and do not have -yet- the nukes to strike back. If he doesn't; he'll be slipping further and further behind with no chance of catching up. His empire is just too small for that compared to yours.

So: be aware of strange things flying high.

Old 16-04-2005, 11:54   #24
Kingreno

Thanx for the feedback guys (Paal, you are correct, spelling could have been better but it was also late).

I don't know how Beam sees this situation. It is not that bad in a way and he has not been at war with any AI for a very long time. Also, he probably knows I have cash, meaning I could easily steal a tech of his. Add to that the construction of the Manhattan Project is still needed for Nukes...
The point is probably that this game was so carefully built up from my perpective that nukes would only see a waste to me. There are many tactical possibilities and conventional warfare is a lot more fun then nukes. With my cash I will likely beat Beam to Nukes and since I outproduce him (not to mention you can buy nukes as well) I will probably win if I go for nukes. Just not that kind'a game it is, I will keep looking at the skies though .

Old 16-04-2005, 15:36   #25
Kingreno

And so the deal was made!

Beam and I agreed on no nukes in this game. We also agreed on no UN vic allowed but that will mean we must also prevent the AI from building it. Oh well, we'll see.

What happened?

All of a sudden Iro's and America entered the MA! Abe got Flight and a turn later Iro's got Electronics! They swapped and I found myself lacking 2 techs. With only two turns from Electronics myself I bought Flight from the Iro for an easy 250 gpt and Gems, which I traded against Incan Electronics. The Dutch are in the MA!!! A turn later Beam made his move, as expected, investing heavily in gpt deals to buy AT, Elec and Flight to get his free tech, Computers, and get all the gpt back, leaving me trailing! Of course this new "secret" was obtained by the Dutch as well:

105.42KB

This did cost me a sluggish 3400 gold but selling this tech to Incans, Americans and Mongols got me 270 gpt in return making this a rather healthy robbery.
On the domestic front all builds were changed to Research Labs and those that were not complete within 2 turns were bought. Rocketry now in 7 turns, I hope to nail it as the Iro can master a massive 700 gpt I would like to see comming my way. Minister Zalm was not very pleased by all this AIVD (Dutch CIA/MI5...or they think) spending and the vault now has a mere 7000 gold left.

To make sure we all start this age on an equal basis, we're ALL on tech parity now:

58.76KB

Only one war and it is a small one. Egypt is large and my neighbour and also the first target of my forces, it will take a while though till we can attack her...

On the domestic statistics front:

18.97KB

This looks good. Former Rome is still growing, so I expect to remain 1st in MFG for some time to come now. Of course other stats seem to be rather nice as well.