Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Eldakkar's forum
Home

Old 30-09-2003, 18:07   #1
Eldakkar

Default Eldakkar vs Stapel Deity (2 settlers) *spoiler*

I am playing Stapel at the moment in a deity game in which we both have started with 2 settlers. These are the map specs:

Size: standard
Type: continents, we both have our own continent. The continents are not too far apart.
Eldakkar:Egyptians
Stapel:French
No barbs, the rest is random.

We are at turn 59. My empire is just small enough to fit in an unzoomed-screen grab:

131.86*KB

As you see I built my capital on a horrible position. West is ocean, North is crappy plains and forest, south is crappy plains and forest, and east is somewhat better. On the bright side, I have a lot of room and a few tiles to the south is a real nice patch of land.

So my build strategy has become:

- build my FP as soon as possible
- Use my capital for settlering
- Use one of the somewhat corrupt, but fast growing cities in the south for a worker factory
- Develop a strong small core
- Let the ai settler the rest of the land
- Beat up the ai and take their cities.

Things are going ok now. I'll finish my FP in 1325 after which I have 8 good producing cities. I plan to have 10 workers active. This guarantees enough mfg goods, to build an army.

It was Stapels request to have the human opponents separated not too far from eachother so I'll have to bo on the lookout for an early naval invasion. Mapmaking had not been invented yet, though on my continent which is amazing. I am doing a polytheism gambit which should be succesful in 1125 bc.

I have 3 ai on the continent. the koreans, japanese and carthaginians. Only the korean seem to thrive, and luckily they are closest to me
Eldakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2003, 19:27   #2
Skyfish

You indeed have quite a lot of money from your min science gamble : didn't you ever come across slaves to buy ?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:52   #3
Eldakkar

Yes, but just one korean worker. I think that when ai have a lot of room to expand, and when they do not have war, they are not inclined to have workers in their capital
Old 07-10-2003, 18:15   #4
Eldakkar

Turn 68:

A new personal record for fast FP :

86.52KB

MFG Goods increased from 25 to 39 which puts me into a shared no1 position. I now make 30 gold per turn. The Egyptian empire is prospering
Old 07-10-2003, 18:46   #5
Skyfish

Wow
That must be a build order like : Temple for 10 turns, whip and then Forbidden Palace.
No ?
Did you merge workers to speed up production ?

ps : the record is somewhat overshadowed by the fact that you got 2 settlers at teh start
Old 07-10-2003, 19:16   #6
Eldakkar

It is true. In a straight deity this would never have happened, unless i popped a settler. The build order was granary, FP. maybe a warrior too, i cannot remember. But it's still nice to have your fp so early
Old 15-10-2003, 18:13   #7
Eldakkar

Turn 75: The egyptians invent polytheism. trading with the Ai gives me:
Horseback riding
Code of laws
Mapmaking
Mathematics
200+ gold
World map

This is the minimap of my continent.

5.34KB

The koreans are quite powerful. It will take some preparation to eliminate them. They have access to horses (2) and to iron. The medieval age is close and they will have pikemen fast. My war chariots are no match against those guys, so i think i will need knights.

The main demographics in the current turn (78)

3.06KB

I think i will contact the other continent the next turn, if I have contacts and stapel doesn't he will have a hard time

Those are the arab borders. This also means that stapel is not nearby, which is great because I won't have to fear a naval assault from him.

24.17KB
Old 15-10-2003, 19:11   #8
anarres
anarchist butcher

Getting to trade with Polytheism is a real bonus, I can never get to research it and trade.

I presume you will be sending galleys out soon to find Stapel? My biggest mistake playing PBEM's so far was not sending galleys out to meet Kemal in our game. His few turns of contacts ahead of me really gave him a good edge in signing MA's against me.
Old 15-10-2003, 19:32   #9
Eldakkar

turn 79

I found Stapel and got to trade around polytheism on the other continent as well. The spoils this time:

philosophy
220 gold
17 (!) per turn
world map

on my own continent i traded philosophy around for 130 gold.

I made embassies with all ai on stapels continent. Stapel is at war with both the greeks and the romans . The arabs are at war with the romans. Stapel and the Arabs have a MA for which stapel is paying at least 17 gold p/t, which flows directly into my treasury!!

Stapel is really behind on techs:

42.23KB

He is doing a tech gambit:

189.92KB

which miserably fails because all ai are at tech par with me.

he is behind:
mysticism
polytheism
iron working
mathematics
horseback riding

It will be difficult to keep up for him!!

The minimap:

7.57KB

Old 01-11-2003, 07:35   #10
Eldakkar

Turn 94:

I have maximized science output to get to republic first. I hoped to bag a medieval tech with a monopoly republic. It didn't work out. The greeks invented republic 5 turns before me .

What is worse, I think i was a little early in enjoying stapels backward position in technology. It is very probable that he will build the GL himself!! From scratch. An impressive feat on deity. In his game against aggie he did the same and got it in turn 105. Assuming he will do the same here he will get it, as I do not think the ai will get it before that. All their Great Lighthouse prebuilds are in horrible cities.

11.85KB

Rheims has at least 11 shields.
If he gets to the GL, we will be back at square one again.

My cities have little possibility of growing any further due to luxury problems, so the strategy is to go to war as soon as possible and see if I can clobber Wang Kon. Too bad the koreans have developed significant power

8.53KB