Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 02-11-2005, 14:12   #1
ERIKK

Default What do you like about Civ 4

I wonder what you most like about it. At CFC the GD is a mess with loads of people naming loads of cool things about the game. Lets sums things up!

I myself like the languague the units speak. It realy adds something to your game-experience. Also, the animated resources (like the pigs) are great!

I heard the ingame music is great but I havent realy listened yet.
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 17:09   #2
grahamiam
Emperor

i like that, in the options, you can choose to display a clock in the playscreen helps me get to bed at a reasonable hour!

actually, i like almost all of it, but most of all, I like that it's not Civ3.5, but a completely different game.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 17:24   #3
Kemal

I like the fact that you definitely need to make a lot more strategic considerations in a single game to get your empire into a healthy state. There does not seem to be an easy single strategy to overpower the opposition, and the amount of viable choices available in both SP and MP seems to have increased tenfold compared to civ3.

(Hmm, that sounds like some piece of marketing talk to sell more games , however it actually really is how I see it)
Old 02-11-2005, 18:28   #4
Whomp
King

I like it too.

It seems the cards you are dealt with traits and terrain dictate a lot of your research path. Chopping forest are pretty huge to get a settler out early and use for wonders. I think the best to chop are along rivers since they give health and will be developed into farms for food. Attacking cities is difficult and even when you do defeat them the culture pressure is enormous from the surrounding established cities. Pillaging cottages, gold, resources etc. becomes a more important strategy to me.

A couple more things...when you do a close up on the crabs it looks like they are arguing with each other and I think it's funny that Al Gore's picture is next to the internet tech.
Old 02-11-2005, 19:13   #5
Mistfit
King

I like the fact that playing different tribes will force you to play a different style game. I did not like the fact that for almost everyone in C3C getting the philo jump was the way to go. The traits seem to make as big a difference in how you play as to the cards you are dealt in surrounding terrain...

One little bitch though... I've played 3 games so far and never had iron/marble/stone in my territory. At least without clobbering someone for it
Old 03-11-2005, 00:49   #6
Matrix
Administrator

The graphics, the concept of religion, and, like Kemal said, the amount of possibilities. Although I'm convinced that people like Cartouche Bee and SirPleb will find exploits in the future.

I don't like the new combat situation: the upgrading stuff and no difference between attack and defense value. But the advantages outweigh that by far.

Oh, and what I also dislike: units movement is slooww.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27   #7
Kemal

You do realize that for long distance movement such as ships, you should be able to almost instantly move them by right clicking on the destination tile?

As for exploits, maybe they already have been found, but people are reluctant to release them?

On a more serious note, against AI opponents there will always be exploits, but fortunately, Civ4 is primarily a MP game now, and humans at least always start on equal footing in this regard.

Oh and Matrix mentions another thing I like about civ4: the combat system. Finally, no longer will you be losing 7 swordsmen on 2 mercs, or other bizarre fights, as easily as happened in civ4, even though indeed each unit only has one strength=hits value.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:04   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Finally, no longer will you be losing 7 swordsmen on 2 mercs, or other bizarre fights, as easily as happened in civ4, even though indeed each unit only has one strength=hits value.
Instead, you loose all your units on a single longbowman
Old 03-11-2005, 10:06   #9
Kemal

Okay, heavy losses can still happen.... but you can't blame the RNG on these battles anymore, there must be some other reason then... []
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26   #10
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal
even though indeed each unit only has one strength=hits value.
That's not very true. A praetorian, for example can have a strength of 7.2/8, or 1.0/8. That's 9/10 and 1/8, thus 2.7 and 0.375 men.

And I agree it's fairer, but still that has nothing to do with the fact that attack and defense values are gone, and that all these experience bonusses exist.