Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 11-12-2003, 23:34   #1
smalltalk

Default Citizenship ceremonies (bash yo nation here!)

OMG

Quote:
quote:
"I, [name], swear by Almighty God that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors according to law."
So "God save the Queen" is still more than just a song by the Sex Pistols.
Quote:
quote:
"I believe it is only right - and indeed what new citizens themselves will want - that our national flag and national anthem should be part of this important day alongside appropriate symbols of the local community and the final guidance to local authorities will reflect this.
Home Office Minister, Beverley Hughes

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/news.asp?NewsID=340

Quote:
quote:Respondents were invited to consider 8 specific questions, and gave answers as follows:

Q1: Should national symbols - the Union flag, and the national anthem - form part of the ceremony ? Should some national cultural activity [eg a piece of music, song, poem] be included at the start or end of the ceremony? Do you have any suggestions?

110 respondents said that the use of national symbols was appropriate; many ageed that these should also be augmented with local symbols and flags [including Welsh and Scottish flags and music] to give local flavour to ceremonies.

16 objected in general terms to such national symbols.

Six said such symbols were not appropriate to ceremonies taking part in Wales, and would object strongly to their presence there.

Two said they were racist and non-inclusive, and that the Union Flag was too associated with racist organisations such as the BNP.
Is this for real? Or just a bad joke?

Hypothesis #1: Sickos are distributed evenly around the world. And the ratio is 110/24 = 4.6/1
Old 12-12-2003, 16:12   #2
anarres
anarchist butcher

Wow, that's total BS!

I wouldn't swear allegiance to the Queen EVER, and I would rather go to prison than swear by God!!

A sorry state of affairs, and making people swear by God is just indefensible. The real twist of the knife is that immigrants have to pay for the extra pomp themselves.
Old 12-12-2003, 16:20   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, it'd be fun swearing by god. I doubt if I'd even consider keeping that promise []
Try to stop me god!
Old 15-12-2003, 19:56   #4
smalltalk

I have one humouresque from my country:

If you want to learn a job, you first have to undergo three years of apprenticeship.
This time you will spend to 3/4 at a company, 1/4 at school.

After you have achieved your certificate of apprenticeship, you are still not entitled to open business.

You first have to get a certificate of Mastership, which takes another three years.

Result: people spend 6 years to education, before they are allowed to open a hair cutter's salon.

Current gov't wants to reduce the number of professions where a degree is required, from 96 to about 17. Yet it faces fierce resistance from the opposition, and probably will fail to bring forth the new law.

Funny thing is, that EU-people are already allowed to work here without that certificate. It's not compliant with EU-law.
Old 15-12-2003, 22:29   #5
col
King

I'm a member of the Republic movement. The sooner the monarchy is abolished here the better.
Old 16-12-2003, 09:02   #6
Skyfish

Gotta love the French Republic
Cut all the Royals heads I say !
Old 16-12-2003, 22:15   #7
Ehecatl Atzin
Part-timer

I think Breton said it when he visited Mexico-- this is the only surreal nation in the world... anything that can be thought of as totally absurd and unreal will most likely happen here
Ehecatl Atzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2003, 07:08   #8
Sir Eric
Warlord

To be an Australian you must..
a)Love cricket.
b)Eat vegemite ( or promite).
c)Bag the crap out of the Pollie's
d)Beat all other nations(mostly the poms and Kiwi's) in all sports.
Old 17-12-2003, 14:57   #9
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by col

I'm a member of the Republic movement. The sooner the monarchy is abolished here the better.
How would it benefit the UK? I can imagien you oppose the monarchy, but joining a movement for it? What is the disadvantage of the present situation and what are the benifits of abolishing it?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2003, 15:31   #10
col
King

The disadvantage is that we have a archaic parasitical ruling family who leach the country of millions. The Queen is one of the richest people in the world. Why is that?

I believe in people working for what they get. I hate all forms of inherited wealth and privilege.