Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Skyfish's Fish in the Sky
Home

Old 26-01-2004, 11:58   #21
Skyfish

Thanks Erik, well the idea is to capitalize on my traits of course. Also I intend to grow quickly and I have not wars planeed for a looooooooong time : all cities not needing acqueducts need to grow as fast as possible thus the granaries.
I know its not your preferred course of action in your PBEMs (early grannies) but it works perfect for me
Old 05-02-2004, 11:23   #22
Skyfish

The empire is growing very rapidly, its a bit too much of a farmers gambit of course but thats the risk I need to take. Things are going really well though.
I have loads of Luxes which is going to help no end in this game.
At the moment it plays like a No-AI game since I only have 1 contact and any deal is impossible.
I am blocking the Koreans and my whole paln is based on them not forcing me out of the isthmus.

I finally researched (at max) Writing in 1200BC (after a min sci on Alpha) and went for CoL to go ASAP for Republic.
On the turn I got Writing I bought RoP from Korea in order to hopefully find somebody else ! I need to get my tech costs down, I have 3 curragh actively looking

Here are some screenies to show you more of the situation...
They have been taken sporadically and not on same turn so there is no logic in them sorry.

Wow ! The Koreans have neither Philo *or* CoL : this is great news, we are not that far behind
Notice how the nasty Mayan Warrior is so feared by our neighbor

Please be aware that I have neither IW or the Wheel so I dont know what they have...

The "BS screen"(TM) gives refreshing news that we are doing good.

The only big disappointment atm is my FP site : I had counted on at least 2 or 3 shields of production but it is already desperately corrupt...
I should have know better than to follow anarres' advice

Old 05-02-2004, 11:40   #23
Skyfish

Some more great news from year 1075BC :

Eaastern part of my FP lands with a 5th native lux in abundance !

...and finally a second AI in sight

And a view of my forces in 1025BC :

Old 05-02-2004, 12:22   #24
anarres
anarchist butcher

Hey, your FP has rank 14!!!! I seem to remember saying not to go over the OCN for your FP,
and until you build it your OCN is a sucky 20*SidMultiplier (is that 60%?).

If Sid is 60% OCN (Deity is 70%) your effective OCN is currently 12. Building the FP city at rank 14 is a sure way to keep it totally corrupt until the FP is built...

Anyway, you need a leader to build that FP!
Old 05-02-2004, 12:31   #25
Kemal

Excellent BS-data Sky!

Any idea on your longterm approach of this game? I don't know whether you have made any agreements on MA's in this game, but with the amount of lands and luxes you have it might be you won't have to go and conquer one of the AI at all and just continue with the farmer's gambit strategy for now.

Maybe you can build the FP in Tikal? Or are you indeed going to try and get a leader to rush it with? Tackling the Sid-AI armies shouldn't be a great probem to you of course with all the practice I provided you with in the Sid-Sg...
Old 05-02-2004, 12:39   #26
Skyfish

Well at least thats one way to get some reaction on my shitty spoilers

What am curious about anarres is how do you know that the FP city has rank 14 ?
It was founded in 5th place and is at distance 13, is there a way to calculate ? How did you do it since you did not know when I founded it ? I have 17 cities right now...

Anyway I got a surprise for you, take a look what happened last turn

Old 05-02-2004, 12:59   #27
Skyfish

Thanks Kemal!

Well I have no real idea about the plan...we have agreed to no-MAs or at least never more than 1 at a time.
Definitely a totally *defensive* strategy, just dig in until Industrial Age when I can start outproducing the AI.
That FP in Bonampak might indeed be a dream, except if I can get a third shield from it... But I am patient.
I get CoL in 8 turns and I could swap the prebuild to Courthouse to get up to 3 (or maybe even 4!) shields and then
go on to FP ...who knows? I would love to use those good lands over there...
But the alternative is indeed Tikal well seen. However I ahve a long term view to this game atm so I prefer Bonampak
Old 05-02-2004, 13:31   #28
Skyfish

Here is finally the next civ !

Note the very small amount of cities, they must be terribly cramped,
I hope war is soon on order for them vs Korea

We are now in turn 80 = 1000BC and KingReno says the AI is just in Middle Age. It s not a blistering pace,
we ahve some chance. KR seems pretty down though, he is already talking about giving up...or its just bluff.
I am sure it is.
Old 07-02-2004, 21:27   #29
Skyfish

Hey nobody's paying attention here because even though I dont have the Wheel and IW I should still be able to see the resources available to Korea
SO...they have neither Iron nor Horses !?!?!?! This is what can allow us to win a Sid game, counting on the AIs missing some essential ressources so you can trade your way back in techs !
This is great news.

And I have even better ones

My curragh survived a crossing and I met the Indians
Unbelievably, they were down Code of Laws which I had just researched this turn
Also Korea did not have CoL yet so I had a great trading round of course(for Ancient Age Sid level) I could only get Philosophy and CB from Korea for CoL : I want to go for Republic ASAP so I went for Philo instead of another more useful tech.
With the Indians I could trade quite a lot for CoL and Philo : get this they have Construction but lack all post-writing techs
They must be isolated on their island and had to self research everything. I actually think that the Koreans met them just before me and traded them Writing for Construction

I am now at 100% research (thanks to my 4 luxes) towards Republic and I have dropped the crazy plan to go for an FP in Bonampak
As soon as I went over the OCN the city lost a shield of course, also I want to use the corrupt cities for Scientists : those babies are my favourite ever !
I am only 25 turns from Rep and no AI has it, Ottos and Korea are in Middle Age now, hoping they are going for Feudalism and Monarchy

So India is *only* up Construction on me and Korea and Otto are up MapMaking, Currency, Polytheism and Construction !

This game is going great, I just need to see how much cities I can plot before galleys with settlers start arriving
Old 08-02-2004, 03:02   #30
anarres
anarchist butcher

Sorry Sky, but you can't see AI resources in the diplo screen if you don't have the required tech!

On another note - why haven't you got Sn00py's installed!