Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Site Feedback
Home

Old 18-09-2007, 00:33   #31
Beorn
Disabled Vet

One way I'd find a spoiler extremely useful is if it went into a very frequent decisionnal walkthrough. This way you cover those things that make you go from beating Deity to beating people who beat Deity, without going too theoretical or staying in the "war with X, trade with Y, win in 570AD" pattern. Or even better, on a socio-constructivism note, if I could've been there when they were written and crashed into the discussion to raise issues about those little idea tidbits. A bit like an exhaustive, PvP-league level form of Succession Game discussion.

But I seem to be the only guy playing Civ3 anymore and Civ3 SG's at CFC are plagued by their mix of new blood of intempestive, irrelevant lurkers and the mute player syndrome that play SG's like they would a single player game by not following team objectives.

Anyways, While I wouldn't participate actively in a CIV version of that, I'd encourage everyone interested to do so. You learn a lot more by getting involved than by watching, even if it only means getting involved in the talks.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 08:17   #32
Shabbaman
Administrator

Krys, your walkthrough has been read 2000 times. Hard to say that it was unnoticed.
Old 18-09-2007, 20:13   #33
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Krys, your walkthrough has been read 2000 times. Hard to say that it was unnoticed.
I wonder how many of those views were from bots/spiders
Old 18-09-2007, 21:15   #34
Shabbaman
Administrator

A valid point, yet if I look at other threads of similar age I see that those threads have far less views. Perhaps views of visitors with unknown OS/browsers don't count? Still, I think that krys' walkthroughs are a good example of good content. It'd be good to have a way to feature such walkthroughs or spoilers. That'd show what we have to offer, plus attract more attention to those threads.

I know what krys meant about the lack of attention. My own spoilers don't attract too much comments as well, even if I ask for advice.
Old 18-09-2007, 22:15   #35
Pastorius
Custard used tile

I try to divide my spam amongst the many (fewer these days though) spoilers around the forum.

I agree with you on your comment about Krys' writeup as an example of good content.

IPB has a portal page that to some extent can be configured to display active threads/topics, with more detail than the snitz active topics page.
Old 18-09-2007, 23:16   #36
Socrates
Emperor

Hey, thanks to both of you. This shit takes so much time, that's why you always wonder about who reads stuff. But I do remember this game was well followed, especially by our Norwegian spammer. But don't worry, that's not the reason I quit playing.
Old 19-09-2007, 19:31   #37
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Your sig gives a hint...
Old 22-09-2007, 21:06   #38
socralynnek

I have deleted several threads of the user boxsiki (spambot) in the Hattrick subforum today...

Some new way to prevent spam bots would be nice!
Old 22-09-2007, 21:16   #39
mauer
King

I can't remember, but isn't there some kind of filter when creating an account? Like the "Enter these letters below" or something?
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 19:24   #40
IglooDude

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mauer (with some snippage)

CDZ own Pitposs server/featured MP games
That would be good.

- Tournaments
I think ID is working on this already, but mostly for CFC I believe. Sounds like a good idea anyways.

The reason I come here is the reason I sent Klammi and failedreality here. A small group of guys....er people, no offense Furiey , that are easy going (for the most part) and quite dependable. I like SPAM as well. CFC might be prettier, but you have to deal with goobers over there en masse. To be honest, I might go to CFC like once a week or less.
I have a spare box that could be used for general CDZ Pitboss use, but how many people would I be giving desktop login rights to, for them to fire up individual Pitboss games? I do have a certain amount of corporate security to worry about, and a boss that probably wouldn't be thrilled.

As to the tournament, it was sorta temporarily binned. Frankly I've never gotten the idea that there'd be enough participation purely within CDZ to warrant it, which is why I was figuring it'd be a joint CDZ/OT one, like most of my pitboss ventures to date.

And ditto what Mauer said about the differences between CDZ and CFC (OT aside, anyway).