Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > grahamiam's forum
Home

Old 27-02-2006, 21:07   #11
grahamiam
Emperor

I can tell you that he likes to drop off cavalry on your rear in quantities of 30, but I guess that doesn't really help in the beginning
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 21:09   #12
Tubby Rower

There are a few ground rules that are there so that you can't take advantage of the game engine at the expense of your opponent. One is to don't give units a go-to move. This is because the units that already have a move order more than one turn will move their next turns moves at the end of the current turn. It's a little odd, but it would allow re-enforcements to cover a wounded unit 1-turn earlier than it would have otherwise. Some of the other players here can let you in on the other rules.

I'm very interested in your spoiler. I've always wondered how your team has skyrocketed in SGOTM, but have never had enough effort to go peruse your threads.

I've never played gozpel and haven't played many PBEM's myself until recently. So no advice on that front. Good luck
Old 27-02-2006, 21:16   #13
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

I can tell you that he likes to drop off cavalry on your rear in quantities of 30, but I guess that doesn't really help in the beginning
No, and i am not expecting that to be the biggest problem. I already know for sure that i will need to keep a lookout to what is comming and as long as it isn't amphibious, it should be solvable

This brings me to a first specific question though:
-If i place units out to scout like boats on the coast and spears on mountains, do i get to see his moves when his units do not end their turn inside my sight radius but only move trough my radius instead?

-Reading some spoilers, i also saw something about building the pyramids. I understand that multiplayer will be a race for wonders like Hoover Dam and maybe Leo's workshop, but is building early wonders like pyramids common practice in PBEM ?

Goz also told me that all the common exploits are forbidden, but that scrolling trough cities to double use tiles is common and allowed.
-Is this something we can only do when you actually have a city build completing in one of your cities, or is there a way to do this every turn, also in the beginning when we only have 2 cities?
-How does the AI decide the order in wich it will cycle trough the cities ?
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 21:19   #14
bed_head7

Well, gozpel just finished kicking my ass in our game. Part of it was due to general lack of interest/attentiveness to the game on my part. When he suggested the game, I probably only accepted because it was gozpel. But the majority was just due to gozpel's ability to grow. On that front, you two are very similar, which is why I said that the match should be fairly even. If you are on the same continent though, or within galley range, don't count on being able to do an all out farmer's gambit for more than 30-40 turns, and even that is stretching it on some maps. And don't forgot that you aren't playingn against stupid predictable exploitable computer opponents. In my first game, against grahamiam, I was out expanding and producing grahamiam, but only had the sort of defense that would beat back the pathetic AI landings, not one constructed by a human.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 21:23   #15
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

Well, gozpel just finished kicking my ass in our game. Part of it was due to general lack of interest/attentiveness to the game on my part. When he suggested the game, I probably only accepted because it was gozpel. But the majority was just due to gozpel's ability to grow. On that front, you two are very similar, which is why I said that the match should be fairly even. If you are on the same continent though, or within galley range, don't count on being able to do an all out farmer's gambit for more than 30-40 turns, and even that is stretching it on some maps. And don't forgot that you aren't playingn against stupid predictable exploitable computer opponents. In my first game, against grahamiam, I was out expanding and producing grahamiam, but only had the sort of defense that would beat back the pathetic AI landings, not one constructed by a human.
Well, that is kinda the part that i regret about this game. (not really in a bad way that i don't like the game, i just have to rethink my plans and addept to the current situation) I have pretty good experience in multiplayer starcraft and C&C, so i know how to be agressive in multiplayer. This game will however not be suitable for that. I am in one corner of a standard size map with 6 deity AI. It is only logical to expect Gozpel is on the other end of the map, meaning it will be 110 tiles to walk or slightly more to sail. I don't really expect to see anything within 80 turns.
Old 27-02-2006, 21:28   #16
WackenOpenAir

For those landings i also have a plan already.
I think I will build a large amount of vessels, if he is gonna be sending me a fleet with units to land, i will sink his fleet with units included.

If he does not send me a fleet, i might send some myself, or i might just move my fleet in his direction in order to divert his main force that should be conquering AI ground back home for defence and thus waste valuable time and maybe allow the AI to punish him back a little.

An empty but scary fleet might also be nice to draw his units when i am gonna attack him over land

I still need to decide if i think the lighthouse is worthy to hide my fleet in open sea (and prevent him from building it and doing so)

I can't find any forums with Civ multiplayer strategies, is there none anywhere?
Old 27-02-2006, 21:35   #17
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WackenOpenAir
This brings me to a first specific question though:
-If i place units out to scout like boats on the coast and spears on mountains, do i get to see his moves when his units do not end their turn inside my sight radius but only move trough my radius instead?
Since you are 2nd, you will be able to see the AI's movement that go after you. However, you will not see the human's movement. I used this fact to beat bedhead and killer

Quote:
quote:-Reading some spoilers, i also saw something about building the pyramids. I understand that multiplayer will be a race for wonders like Hoover Dam and maybe Leo's workshop, but is building early wonders like pyramids common practice in PBEM ?
You are playing with diety AI's, so don't expect to build early wonders. If it was just a 1x1, no AI game (more interesting imho), then yes, you should think about those things.

Quote:
quote:Goz also told me that all the common exploits are forbidden, but that scrolling trough cities to double use tiles is common and allowed.
-Is this something we can only do when you actually have a city build completing in one of your cities, or is there a way to do this every turn, also in the beginning when we only have 2 cities?
-How does the AI decide the order in wich it will cycle trough the cities ?
I suggest you and goz agree on a ruleset, as best you can. It will avoid unnecessary disagreements later. The scroll ahead in pbem, as far as I know, works the same as single player in order to prevent riots. I doubt that scrolling ahead to fiddle with scientist/taxman will be allowed, but again, you guys need to decide before playing too far into the game. I have no idea what the AI does, but it's probably pretty stupid
Old 27-02-2006, 21:41   #18
WackenOpenAir

Since you are 2nd, you will be able to see the AI's movement that go after you. However, you will not see the human's movement. I used this fact to beat bedhead and killer

I don't understand how being second influences that.?
Old 27-02-2006, 21:45   #19
grahamiam
Emperor

because after you're done, the AI moves and you will see it. You never see the human move in a pbem. And if you're 1st, you never see the AI move either.
Old 27-02-2006, 21:48   #20
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

because after you're done, the AI moves and you will see it. You never see the human move in a pbem. And if you're 1st, you never see the AI move either.
Wow thats some bad game design
I guess that means i will need multiple boats then later on in the game when movement is longer than the area of sight.

Does anyone know a method of pushing a nearby AI into building the pyramids? I am guessing this is gonna be a kind of game breaker