Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 27-11-2004, 21:43   #21
Justus II

We have hit another milestone, as we pass Turn #100.

Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2004, 21:59   #22
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Well, it looks like I may have to learn a bit of Dutch myself! My UU is called the Watergeus, which appears to be Dutch for.... something? I did a Google search for it, and came up with several ships named that, but no explanation of what the word means, so I will have to keep searching!
Sorry for the late reply Justus and giving you some explanation.

The Watergeuzen (multiple of Watergeus) were privateers in the 16th century who helped the Dutch provinces with their revolt vs. the Spanish in return for the right to ransack cities occupied by the Spanish. As such they mean much more to the Dutch in gaining independence compared to the Swiss Mercenary and therefore the SM was renamed.

The word "geus" comes from the French word "geueze" which stands for beggar and was adopted as a honorary name by the privateers. (The Spanish governor was warned about those privateers and said "Il sont des geuezes" which translates to "They are just beggars"). A range of Belgian beers nowadays is also called geueze. Not my taste as most of them are a little acid.
Old 27-11-2004, 22:05   #23
Justus II

Thanks, Beam! Always good to learn something new. I was a History major, but not much time spent on the Dutch, the only parts I really remember were from WWII, the German attacks and the Dutch flooding the lowlands and such. Let's hope I can use that same spirit in ransacking Roman cities!!
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote