Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 16-05-2006, 12:59   #31
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, I must say, I think I'm officially hooked. I have a day off, and I couldn't get away from civ4 to get me a cup of coffee... for two and a half hours!

It's hard to say what did it, though. While I'm playing, I can't even recall what civ3 played like differently. And that must be a good thing, considering the time I've spent at civ3. My current game was interesting from start to, well, finish, though I haven't finished yet. I just found out I can't build the space elevator in my capitol, because of the large latitude... who thought of that?
Old 16-05-2006, 15:53   #32
digger760
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman
I just found out I can't build the space elevator in my capitol, because of the large latitude... who thought of that?
Yeh...just discovered that myself..but have you got any other wins other than space race or Time win.

I tried to go for Diplomatic win, but with 18 civs on the map i can seem to get the votes needed to be secretary general, there just way to many civs to suck up to.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 16:45   #33
Matrix
Administrator

I actually wanted to start a thread stating I am now officially hooked too, for the first time since Civ1! The last days if I played in the evening, I just went on till about 3 to 5 AM. (The record is 5:45 or so...) And the weird thing is: I still have a very boring game to finish, which made me stop playing Civ4 for about two months. Then I thought let me just start a a new game: huge map, 18 civs. Now that's a kick! I did have to buy extra memory (I had just half a GB, now 1.5GB.) in order to let it work decently.

I said "if", because I have no problem leaving Civ4 alone when I am home. Plently of other things to do. But once I'm on the roll...
Old 16-05-2006, 17:42   #34
BCLG100
Deity

well if your loving it so much come join me against romeo in my PBEM!

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:04   #35
Socrates
Emperor

There's a voice in my head that keeps telling me not to play anymore. Dunno if it's a rational or an irrational voice down there...
Old 16-05-2006, 18:51   #36
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Must..resist. AHHH

A rational or irrational voice down there? Sounds dirty

Anyway. I dont think I am addicted. I hardly miss playing, and I dont work hard to fix the computer that runs civ4 smoothly...
Old 16-05-2006, 21:21   #37
BCLG100
Deity

im not really addicted tbh, i enjoy it but with exams coming up im going to have to stop playing as much.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 16-05-2006, 22:49   #38
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

I'm very much with Matrix, for some reason 1.61 got me hooked. But similar to being hooked to other Civ versions. There always is another day to play another turn (most of the time }
Old 17-05-2006, 02:02   #39
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Yes, indeed 1.61 is a completely different game with somewhat improved balance. It is a big step forward. Still there are very many very odd things happening and imho, really bad is the initial phase of the game including horrendous costs of the first early units. It just does not sum up to acceptable level and this is one of the major drawbacks of the game imho. What I mean is that there is no multiplayer (and slightly better in single player) balance in barbarians, city growth, unit cost is hammers, worker and settler costs and civic and unit maintenance costs. This whole thing has to be re-balanced significantly so that the game is more enjoyable. There are means to counter this but these means are weird especially in single-player games, type of farmer's gambit that were in Civ3. Now it is science gambit (specifically Civil Service and Academy gambit).
Old 17-05-2006, 02:05   #40
BCLG100
Deity

whats the academy gambit?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!