Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Ladder section
Home

Old 27-01-2005, 02:30   #1
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Default Future of the Ladder?

It seems the ladder is sort of...nonexsistant these days. What are the future plans for this? Continue it or not? Just curious.
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 02:44   #2
Socrates
Emperor

Good question. Though I don't find it important to find a solution to something that didn't receive much attention last year, I hope we can state on this by the time Civ4 is out (like many other things, I'd like Civ4 to refresh everything and everyone).

My opinion is that I now personally don't care about CDZ's ladder. I find it a bit odd because you get points based on your current position (like in chess tourneys), but PBEMs take months to complete, so there is a flaw here that I've already pointed out to ProPain. Speaking of him, he told me that the ladder wasn't going to receive any further attention, at least in the near future, but that was months ago...

As for me, I'm keeping track of my PBEMs in my forum, and that's much better like this. I guess we play too few games to have a real exciting ladder, and so that suits online gaming much, much more.

If we come to a very simple system where you can easily look at all games that were played in one place, without the scoring stuff, just wins and losses, then I'm for it. My wish is just to keep track, not to evaluate how I play.
Old 27-01-2005, 04:04   #3
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It would be of interest to see how the ladder looks with all the updates. But not more than that. Guess, the impact of the Skyfish story on these issues is still alive, fresh, and kicking.
Old 27-01-2005, 10:15   #4
digger760
King

I had promised ProPain i would fix it by Christmas...but the SQL queries are kind of complex and I do not have the concerntration capacity these days (too tired) to fix it with SQL like i hoped. I am therefore exporting the tables to text and they will be fixed by good ole C++ and re-imported back in. I hope to have them upto date in the next couple of weeks, then PP just has to upload the database back in
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 11:47   #5
Kingreno

I'd like to see some kind of tournament on CDZ. The ladder, as Akots pointed out, has lost a lot of its glory since the incident. What could be done is to have some sort of cup, where players play eachother within a certain timeframe (2 months?) and the winner going to the next round for the semi's, while the loser will play some other loser to determine places (e.g.) 5 to 8. This works with other even numbers as well, though 8 or 16 is best. There are ways to work around the difficulties like players not being able to play their turns ect. Also, CDZ is relaxed enough not to make it too important.
So anyone up for (something like) this?
Old 27-01-2005, 12:00   #6
Socrates
Emperor

Some here are eager to compete ! Why not ? Though CDZ will always be something else than just a ladder site (despite its initial purpose, or so I think it was).

I'd certainly take part in such a thing, Kingreno, if it wasn't for what I pointed out : a tourney is very difficult to set up for PBEMs. They take a lot of time, people go on holiday, lose Internet connection for a while, have RL problems, etc... A tourney would take a lot of time to end, so we would need to set up a time limit for games or number of turns per week. Quite tricky, when you know that many players here like to play without time restrictions.

Something else : Civ4 will kick in in less than one year. Maybe we should think of a really solid project like this for Civ4, for 2006 ? The good thing is that everyone will be newbies again (not entirely, but in a way, yes), whereas now we already know the strong players and the very strong players (yes, CDZ only has strong players at least ). I'd fear to play guys like Kemal, Markstar or akots in the 1st round...

A good idea would be to propose many different projects of all kinds, to eventually pick up the best one. But the ladder as it is isn't satisfactory for me.
Old 27-01-2005, 13:42   #7
anarres
anarchist butcher

digger - I am a database programmer, amongst other things! Please contact me and I can write your SQL in seconds for you.
Old 27-01-2005, 15:44   #8
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

I think the ladder must have been one of the main attractions for people to join CDZ when it started but the past months very well have shown that CDZ is alive and kicking without a ladder.

We started to organize competitions like the GOTM and the Tournament on CFC when Civ3 still was multiplayer and it really was the only way to compete with other players. With multiplayer PBEM there is actual and much more interactive competition between human players. Although not driven by hard numbers most of us pretty well know how skilled the frequent players are.

Personally I play for the fun and PBEM gives me enough satisfaction for competitive needs. I also think that kind of competition is mucho better than the somewhat artificial rank in a ladder.

My 2 cents.

Old 27-01-2005, 16:12   #9
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

when Civ3 still was single player
I really don't care about being in/on the ladder, though I think it's a nice addition. I like that my sparse games are on it.
Old 27-01-2005, 16:52   #10
digger760
King

I know SQL and i dont think it is that easy...maybe i made it to complicated in the first place. How do i contact you. your never on MSN these days.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote