Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Front Page News
Home

Old 17-09-2016, 21:02   #21
Matrix
Administrator

Default Alright, let's continue here then

Blimey, completely forgot about this thread.

Yes, the amount of information you get from the videos isn't that much, but I do observe a trend: Civ3 only had unique units, Civ4 added unique buildings to this, Civ5 I don't know, but with Civ6 it seems the civilization will be given multiple traits that sometimes even pre-determine the type of victory one should aim for. That makes the game a lot more diverse and removes the generic gameplay that all the previous versions had.

Is that good or bad?
Old 18-09-2016, 20:48   #22
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
... Check out this YouTube playlist to see what different civilizations are capable of. ...
I understand this is some kind of new marketing strategy. But if you watch all the videos, you don't actually need to buy the game or play it yourself. These things kill the feeling of excitement when trying things by yourself for the first time. For me, it is a huge put down.
Old 19-09-2016, 20:24   #23
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
multiple traits that sometimes even pre-determine the type of victory one should aim for. That makes the game a lot more diverse
No, it doesn't. It locks players into a predetermined playstyle. This leads to predictable games and dumbs down the game.
Old 21-09-2016, 05:02   #24
barbu1977
Emperor

Quote:
Blimey, completely forgot about this thread.

Yes, the amount of information you get from the videos isn't that much, but I do observe a trend: Civ3 only had unique units, Civ4 added unique buildings to this, Civ5 I don't know, but with Civ6 it seems the civilization will be given multiple traits that sometimes even pre-determine the type of victory one should aim for. That makes the game a lot more diverse and removes the generic gameplay that all the previous versions had.

Is that good or bad?
Are we talking about Sid Meier's Alpha Century?
Old 21-09-2016, 11:43   #25
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

If it is not better than Civ IV BtS with Buffy mod, I ain't even going to take a longer look at Civ VI
Old 21-09-2016, 11:48   #26
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
If it is not better than Civ IV BtS with Buffy mod, I ain't even going to take a longer look at Civ VI
But how would you know without playing?
Old 22-09-2016, 12:59   #27
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
Is Battlefield III better than Civ IV BtS?

I already suspect Civ VI is going to be a different game altogether. You might enjoy both.
Old 24-09-2016, 10:55   #28
Shabbaman
Administrator

While civ5 is in some way enjoyable, it feels like the raped body of civ3. It looks like it (if you're blind), feels like it (unless you bought a new mouse in the mean time) but doesn't play like it. No, actually I really liked civ5, but there was little challenge playing it. In that aspect, it was unlike any previous civ. Playing civ5 at the highest difficulty was about as challenging to me as playing Cities Skylines is. Civ3 otoh was actually quite difficult.

Maybe civ5 is fun in multiplayer, I don't know. But while the mere existence of this site shows that multiplayer in civ is actually a thing, to it's core it has always been a single player game to me. Even in multiplayer you play the AI, and with it's city states (a concept completely unsuited for multiplayer) that's even true for civ5 in all-human games.

But Cities Skylines is an enjoyable game, so why not civ6? It might not be the game, it might be me that has changed. Playing civ5 continuously reminded me of what civ5 isn't. Finding exploits in civ3 was fun, but in civ5 it only felt as finding another design flaw.

The funny thing is that writing this rant actually makes me want to play civ5 right now. Heh.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:36   #29
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

@Shabba: My feelings are somewhat on the similar side. I played a lot of TBS and RTS when I was younger. Now, I'm more into RPGs and maybe even shooters. It should be the opposite. But I don't like the clicking, it is too intense and really, really stupid. In RPGs, the clicking load is much less intense and in shooters, you have to use the keyboard. It is as simple as that.

Civ3 is actually the only game that was enjoyable to play against the AI. Also, it had very friendly modding interface. Civ4 was less challenging but more time consuming especially troop movement. For me, Civ5 is tedious and not fun. Civ5 is also unruly and things on autopilot are not really controllable. And diplomacy and AI makes even less sense that in Civ3. Actually, Civ4 had a reasonable diplomacy system.

Civ1 and Civ2 were also good games, just sort of somewhat on the primitive side.

I've watched a few Civ6 videos, maybe 20 minutes all together. I'm not excited and I'm not going to preoder or buy. I'll wait for reviews and bug fixes for a few months. If it goes well, I may buy it. If it does not, which is quite possible, I won't.

tldr: We'll see how it goes.
Old 26-09-2016, 10:18   #30
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
But how would you know without playing?
I will take a short look. Just not a long one.