Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 03-10-2012, 11:42   #21
Melifluous
Administrator

Cos I bought the Complete Pack to start with, then bought the upgrade the HttT.

Is it worth the upgrade again to DW?

It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01   #22
Shabbaman
Administrator

I don't know actually. Maybe when it's on a discount. See the differences, unless you want to play Japan or China it seems like minor tweaks. It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of costs and benefits are different between HTTT and DW though.

Funny, one of the changes concerns Personal Unions. Getting a PU isn't that difficult, but getting something out of it is. I got into a PU with three province Brabant, and because I was bored I integrated it (which is a feature of DW) into the evil french empire. Now I read that I should've waited until I inherited that lousy part of Europe, because then I'd have gotten cores on those provinces. Now all I have are rebels (good for army tradition).
Old 03-10-2012, 14:53   #23
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melifluous View Post
I've done some reading around, watched some Youtube vids (best quote I found was "This game has a learning curve so steep it should be described as a wall") and finally read this An Empire Under the Sun on the Paradox forums (damn that forum makes me never want to buy their software ever again).

Apparently Paradox doesn't believe in manuals or smoothing over install procedures for their customers. Highly frustrating indeed.

Quote:
OK,

Starting a new game, England, 1399.

Stability slider full right and troops started in overseas states. Merchants sent to core and some stability advisors hired.
Keep in mind that stability rises fairly quickly by itself and good advisors can be scarce. I prefer to pick up really good 'homebred' advisors in other fields during the 1st year, and in okt 1400 quickly rehire when the foreign advisors are on the market.

Quote:
I beat all forts and then wonder if I really need to wait 50 years to gain the province... More scratching of heads.
50 years of ownership is needed to gain a core on a province. Provinces you have a core on have benefits (can give you a casus belli that will let you conquer the province without taking an infamy hit for example.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
What difficulty level? Also, infamy 7 is peanuts, I'm over 40. Tends to screw with merchant compete chances though...
Getting over your infamy limit is really, really bad. You'll end up with everybody and their dog declaring war on you. Also infamy stifles your papal influence which can get you excommunicated. Excommunication is also a sure fire way to receive DoW's from all over the known world.

Keep your infamy as low as possible and look for casi belli that provide good infamy bonuses when you wanna incorporate foreign territory.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 15:27   #24
Melifluous
Administrator

OK well,

Part 2 I guess. One lunchtime later

Finished crushing Scotland and annex the lot. Another Mission completed!

I decide to try one of them National Decisions and CREATE GREAT BRITAIN. Founded 21st August 1403 only 200 years before the real GB was formed...

Now my national flag is something I recognise!

Not sure what to do here and I get given some mission to take Artois. Now Burgundy is not someone I want to piss off, so I cancel that Mission.

Next Mission, make friends with Burgundy! Somehow my rep with Burgundy is down to -85 and I need it over 100. Time to save some cash and gift the crap out of them I guess :/

In other news I see that Denmark has no heir and I quickly make a marriage with them and am pleased to announce that if he drops dead today, I will be king of Denmark (which also has claims to Sweden and Norway!). I am disappointed not to find a spy mission to assassinate their king

And again, had to stop.

Still No.1 in Prestige (around 80)
Infamy is 17 and falling.

Do I hang around and wait for some techs to pop now?

Old 03-10-2012, 15:32   #25
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
Getting over your infamy limit is really, really bad. You'll end up with everybody and their dog declaring war on you. Also infamy stifles your papal influence which can get you excommunicated. Excommunication is also a sure fire way to receive DoW's from all over the known world.
I'm not over the infamy limit, but I get excommunicated all the time. That's one of the reasons my infamy is so high, because I vassalize all the tiny nations that think they should declare war on me.

Quote:
Now my national flag is something I recognise!
Apparently if you form GB as Scotland the british flag is different. Quite funny.
Old 03-10-2012, 15:53   #26
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
Apparently if you form GB as Scotland the british flag is different. Quite funny.
Those sort of comments start wars you know.

Maybe my next game will be as Belgium, perhaps I could take over Holland?

Old 03-10-2012, 17:28   #27
Shabbaman
Administrator

Actually, you could form the Netherlands if you have a predominantly dutch or flemish culture. It's pretty useful if you're playing one of the dutch minors, because the event grants a core on Antwerp and Vlaanderen. And having cores on your neighbours provinces is A Good Thing (tm).

I see no reason why the Netherlands would use the flag of the princes of Holland when either Vlaanderen or Frisia would form the Netherlands though. Neither have a particular love for the house of orange.
Old 04-10-2012, 00:34   #28
ProPain

Quote:
Those sort of comments start wars you know.

Maybe my next game will be as Belgium, perhaps I could take over Holland?

Taking over Holland is always a fine idea. No belgium in the game though, so you need to take Burgundy or Hainaut. Or best: Brabant. Nothing beats taking holland as brabant
Old 08-10-2012, 17:48   #29
ProPain

I have taken up Mel's challenge and started playing Brabant with the goal of forming the Netherlands. This is hard. Brabant is supposed to be medium difficulty level, I'll steer clear from hard for a long while then.

After a few test games I quickly learned you can't just conquer and annex your way into supremacy like you can with Castille. The game i played for 75 years now started with Burgundy declaring war on me right from the get go. I had to scramble allies whereever I could and play ring around the rosie for quite a while to avoid having my army annihilated. Eventually I made my way to Burgundy and bordering provinces while my allies entertained Burgundies main army. Even after I conquered all provinces burgundy refused any decent peace and they where to large to annex. FInally ended up with Flanders, 2 other useless provinces near burgundies capital, 5 loans and a ruined economy. Great.

After a few years the emperor starts demanding I liberate my newly acquired provinces. Even better. I'm now in a PU with HOlland, have flanders and Cleve vassalised and Zeeland annexed. Utrecht is gonna be a pain, they have allies and independence garantuees coming out of their ears.
Old 16-10-2012, 17:42   #30
Melifluous
Administrator

OK EU3 is officially my most favourite game ever

I decided to try some games on Very Easy. Lame but true.

Currently enjoying a fantastic romp as the Scottish, just about managed to completely take over the English and remove them from the game.

Managed to get my Infamy to 90 I think it was (when my Inf Cap was around 55!).

Everyone really really hates me Rebellions and revolts popping up all over the place. Stability up and down like a yo-yo and magistrates and generals defecting.

Managed to repel a mass invasion of France, Castille and Portugal Allied with the revolts popping up all over England and Ireland.

Have released everyone (Wales, Cornwall and the Irish states) as Vassals to try and reduce the Infamy and have had my country collapse once (which seems to do nothing much? Might have screwed my Legitimacy but that was screwed anyway)

Oh and at my worst point and highest infamy I suddenly got made the Papal Controller, that made me laugh

Yee-haw 40 years until I core central England and make Great Britain as the Scots (thanks for the idea Shabba!).

Just have to see if I can survive that long as revolts of 24,000 men are not funny...

PS. Fun fact, declare war on the English and you often get an event happen called The Highlanders Arrive an extra 12,000 troops you say? Yummy. Also Resist the English Double Forcelimit modifier and Double the manpower? Someone really didn't like England in the 15th Century