Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Romeo's Random Ramblings
Home

Old 01-04-2006, 00:15   #1
romeothemonk
King

Default Romeo's Reading list

As some of you may know, I am a fairly avid fan of literature.
Due to my job, I have a lot of time to kill. I used to perfer to kill it with KoC and CDZ, but both of them have been up and down a lot recently.
In a pinch, I have resorted to reading books which I will catalog here.
Suggestions of books are recommended, with my preference being to "classics" of American or World lit. As you can see, I get enough sci fi junk on my own.
My recent readings include
The Sound and the Fury
Outbound Flight
Assignment in Eternity
Job
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
The Man who sold the moon
The complete works of Lewis Carrol
etc
Old 01-04-2006, 00:39   #2
bed_head7

I have been meaning to get to The Moon is Harsh Mistress, as well as some other classic Heinlein. What did you think of it?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:26   #3
romeothemonk
King

I have read probably 10 Heinlein books in the past month.
I recommend Job and PuppetMasters the most.
The Moon is a harsh mistress is a decent book, the style takes a while to get used to, and it doesn't have quite the flow of a Fualkner. Both TMISAHM and The sound and the fury are written in interesting styling and both are decent books, but TSATF has more "Beauty" to it.
My favorite Heinlein books are "Starship Troopers" and Job.
Old 01-05-2006, 18:49   #4
romeothemonk
King

Hmm, Time to update this page.

I just read Pickwick Papers and Oliver Twist. I loved them both. Is it too late to change my name to Mr. Winkle?

I checked out 2 new books today: Joseph Conrads collected sailing works ( I want Heart of Darkness, Secret Sharer and maybe The Nigger from the Narcisuss) and Wicked (A take on the Wicked witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz).

Other recommendations are welcome.
Old 01-05-2006, 19:03   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

Did you read Stranger in a strange land as well? I think it's Heinlein's best. BTW, there's a book thread somewhere in the OT section.
Old 28-08-2006, 01:04   #6
romeothemonk
King

Anyway, I am bored here as my wife is severly limiting what I can do around the house, and I already packed all my books.

I read some more stuff, most notably some Chuck Palahniuk (Sp?), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Portrait of Dorian Gray, and another slug of Heinlein books.

Recommendations for good classic or semi-classic books are appreciated.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:43   #7
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

Chuck Palahniuk (Sp?)
Being a big fan of the movie, do you recommend me reading "Fight Club" ? What I like in particular in the movie is [can't find the word in English nor in French] the way the sentences are built (words, rythm, etc...). Of course I'm only interested in the English version.
Old 28-08-2006, 03:13   #8
romeothemonk
King

I can highly recommend his writings. I have not read fight club, I read lullaby, and found it to be one of the best on sentance building. i.e. no wasted words, alliteration in key spots etc.
Old 29-08-2006, 03:32   #9
sz_matyas

As far as semi-classic, I jsut finished "The Name of the Rose" for interesting mystery surrounding 14th century monastic (think Sherlock Holmes as a monk) and will be moving on to A Brief History of Time and Candide, though I can't recommend them yet as I haven't personally read them through. (I have read most of candide, just not in order in a sitting)
Old 29-08-2006, 10:50   #10
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sz_matyas

As far as semi-classic, I jsut finished "The Name of the Rose" for interesting mystery surrounding 14th century monastic (think Sherlock Holmes as a monk)
Umberto Eco right?
I saw the movie a few years back, and I've been thinking about reading it, but I've been told that it is really long-winded and it has quite boring long passages on descriptions of the monastary...