Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Grille's forum
Home

Old 17-07-2004, 01:49   #1
Grille

Default ***Spolier*** Tour de France avec Beam

Alors, I picked France and Beam took China.
Chef du map is Aggie (standart continents, no SGLs, apparently equal looking starting postions).

I hope the tour will NOT end in Paris this time...

I started in the south. Plopped the settler right away, 1 cow will be in radius after the first expansion. Pottery at max, warrior under construction.

Old 01-11-2004, 16:45   #2
Grille

huh, the Beam game is going for quite a while, yet the spoiler is rather thin and needs some stuffing.

The Tour de France started here with a hilly leg:

50.8 KB

Quote:
quote:
Plopped the settler right away...

Don't drink and civ!

Otherwise, this happens when opening the second save:

63.08 KB

Here's the start on the world map:

6.76 KB

Beam moved his settler, which was certainly a good approach.
Because of my miserable opening and due to possible barb thread, I didn't build early military. That would surly delay contacts, but since I live near the south pole, exploration could not be done into all directions anyways.
Second city was founded at the coast next to the cow and built a granny. The cow gets micro-milked (), dependent on what town's cuisine needs the trimmings.

Btw, Later, the cow might be used as cat ammo in good old French tradition...

Research put on writing as second aim.

Logically, Beam took over the score lead pretty fast. IIRC he was ~35 points ahead around turn 45. At that time, I finally sent out exploring warriors which were killed by barbs. Surprisingly, one warrior detected a barb camp in a -for me- unexplored close-by area! I haven't had contacts so far. mmh, ivory:

79 KB

A bit later, my first neighbour was met: the Babylonians. The founding of Marseilles revealed 25g from the mountain barb camp: my treasury was just big enough for an embassy in Babylon (turn 57). Free investigation showed they were building the Pyramids. They didn't know philo, my actual research aim.
Here's a map overview (57):

116.64 KB

... and some meek demograph data (60) :

139.41 KB

In turn 65, I detected a blue border in the north.
Babs still didn't know philo. I could hire some scientists, philo officially due in one turn... set research to lit in 66 and got it for free!

Set to CoL as next goal.
IBT 66:
Greeks built Oracle
Hittite built the SoZ!

Ok, my (not-so-serious) palace pre-build could not be used for SoZ anymore. Beam showed some kind of reaction on my info message about the wonder completion, so chances are the Hittites live near Beam. Hehe. Unless he steals it in time...

68:
Blue border=Germany, so I arranged a bazar:
Babs get philo for wheel, WC, 81g
embassy in Berlin
Germany gets philo for BW, 14g
Babs get lit for CB, maths, 37g
Germans get lit for myst

IBT 69:
Babylon built Pyramids!

IBT 72:
Babylon built TGL!!
I checked their techs in 73, they have CoL. Apparently, SGL off doesn't work as expected. Agreed with Beam to disband SGLs, just in case we would get one.

73:
Scrapped CoL research, switched to currency.

IBT 73:
Berlin built Colossus.

-to be continued soon-
Old 01-11-2004, 18:47   #3
Plux
King

That's a nasty starting flaw. Good luck on the ketchup!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56   #4
Grille

Yup, French cooks are actually working on a new recipe for that delicious sauce. The plan is to make ketchup out of Babylonian ingredients! The F3-chef argues these are still very stodgy, though.

Turn 82, the situation is getting better. I could keep up in score.
At this point, though, I *thought* somebody beamed the Chinese up into the #1 positions (although France has even been ranked top-pop every other turn or so):

9.04KB

Aggie certainly composed an interesting playground for our game.
Scientific frenzy and the nasty Hittites have ACs from early on.

About the strategic resources: tour-de-horse starts at... Tours.
As for the happy stuff, I have two native luxs, but only one source of each; so there's just the masochist's trade-away option.

The ivory near Rheims has been hooked up for quite a while, but Chartres' dyes were denied by barbs. There was once a barb camp on that resource tile, I plopped it away, but two barbarian buggers refused to attack until their hair got hydrogen-blond. Eventually, dyeing one's hair was completly! out-fashioned.[]
Instead of getting a hip hair-cut in "Ken's hot barber shop", the barbies just moved 1 tile (NE of Chartres) and took another break there.
Ok, ok, next time I'll just attack'em in game and spam less here. Perhaps[]. So here's the recent lines of spam and more compressed in a pic (82):

173.64KB

IBT 82:
Babylon builts MoM

Babylon now has Pyr, TGL and MoM, rather spicy ketchup!
Or the Babs take Beam and me for a 20k-ride...

IBT 83:
Korean spear/settler combo spotted by an exploring warrior in German territory.
I didn't recognize this at first sight (>colour issues), but got them on the contact menue in the next turn.
84:
Wow, Korea has (at least from my perspective) a monopoly on currency, but lacks some techs. Embassy established; all 3 known AI civs share contacts.
New bazar arranged:
Korea receives lit, philo, 8gpt for currency
Babylonians don't care for TGL and receive currency, 7gpt for CoL, IW, 12g
Germany receives currency, 1gpt for map-making, 5g
Korea receives map-making for HBR, 113g

Research set to republic @min rate.
I'm tech-pari with Germans and Babs, ahead of Korea. Poly and construction are still missing for ma, yet the tech pace seems rather fast for demi-god.

There's one source of iron within my borders (near Marseilles), which is, of course, occupied by 2 barbs from the former camp on that mountain tile. The Marseilles barbs are quite funny, too. They keep on moving 1 tile SW and then back onto the mountain since their camp has gone. I'm not going to share the story behind this phenomenon. I would like to, but it's because there just isn't any.[]

IBT84:
a promising curragh (located near Zariqum in the above pic) was sunk by barb galleys

88:
In recent turns, France was constantly #1 in pop and #2 in MFG and GNP; the score ketchup stagnated, though (Beam was between 20 to 23 points ahead during the past turns).
In this actual turn, France is #1 in pop, MFG and GNP. Checked diplo and F3, Babs know republic and just switched from despotism! This means I'm ahead of Beam in those areas (unless, well you know).

Quite a while ago, Beam reported about serious barb shit. He said he lost 2 workers to a barb horse when I didn't even know what a horse looks like.
Later he reported something a long the lines that barbs occupy his territory/the surroundings (same for me) and that there'd be trouble plopping his 3 settlers he completed that turn (3 settlers in one turn! oh yeah, I've raised my lower jaw again by now).

It seems like a really tough game; the AIs will surely keep us busy.
To be honest, I avoided -gpt most of the time because I was scared of a tribute demand. Now I fear a SoD showing up at the gates.
Anyways, I'm preparing to build military units; I'm stock-piling some cash for possible tech stealing.

Old 18-11-2004, 04:12   #5
Grille

108:
Accumultating the gold for stealing was hard business. I was finally *be able* to pay for the immediate option in this turn.
After decreasing for a while, the score gap to Beam has recently increased again. Same with F11; stagnation all over the place, to be blamed on despotism (dropped to #4 in GNP this turn!). Babs avoided trading of republic to Korea or Germany, thus it was way too expensive to buy it (research it on my own, maybe just partly, was nearly impossible in considerable time - due to gpt spendings/ lack of native luxs).
So since I have at least built some units to defend myself, I decided to risk a war and spent nearly all my gold (600g) on the immediate steal option:

(almost missed to hit print-screen...)

82.07 KB

<s>Vive la Republique!</s>

Ok, not now. In the meantime, we have:

Vive l'Anarchie!

And that will last for 7 turns. Probably the worst I could get. But I should be happy enough about the succesful steal attempt.

An issue, though. 2 Babylonian galleys entered my waters. I pointed to their position in this godzilla-minimap:

62.01 KB

Got no idea what they want; no space left on the continent to settle for which they'd need a galley. Maybe they're going to drop a unit or two next to an undefended city which would be good for ww-reasons but obviously pretty much fatal while in anarchy.
Or they are indeed carrying settlers and cruising to an island.

Edit: I forgot: before revolting, I traded republic and 2gpt to Germany for poly, construction, 8g. Korea only had a mere 15g in their bank (and are even still in ancient times), nothing achieved here.
Old 18-11-2004, 10:07   #6
Plux
King

Nice stealing. What are the odds that such a thing will fail? I think I've never stole anything in civ before (well, not civ3 that is). I don't do it because I'd hate to see 600gp go down the drain and even get war with it!
Old 18-11-2004, 22:58   #7
Grille

AFAIK the odds for a succes are just 32% for the immediate steal option. The price was ~450g about 25 turns ago when I shut down research. Could not research republic at acceptable speed then, so I used my spare gpt to fill the treasury. The steal-price went up by time (depends on # techs the other civ has and if their capital is town/city/metro), so I was fearing not to be able to pay for the steal soon enough (Bab's seem to advance fast, they're in rep anyways). OTOH the Babs wouldn't trade rep around in the meantime, thus it stayed too damn expensive to buy. In turn 108, I wasn't even expecting to have enough money for the steal and I went happy-go-lucky assigning worker jobs and moving some horsies around... (&gt;preparing/blocking tiles for a possible sneak sea-invasion by Bab's).
At the end of that turn, I checked espionage to get an actual cost overview and found the immediate-steal button eventually enabled; despite of lots of my units having moved already and since the Bab's could not threaten towns or units in a first strike (they have no roads at the border, nor units sitting there), I risked the stealing (&gt;must push things due to shocking F11 data). Some war on my continent would have to take place sooner or later. I should have been able to bribe Korea/Germany and to hold (at least) my grounds.

Since Aggie (and recently Oystein) published the espionage probabilities, I got quite used to tech stealing in SP. I favour a shot at republic and at nationalism, when the civ in question has a monopoly and may be 'worth' a war anyways (in case of a fail).
The odds seem not so good, though, but 'on avarage' diplo steal is still MUCH cheaper than buying, especially if the rival's capital is a (nearby!) 'city' at the most (plays a condiderable role with respect to cost for an early steal). Plus, chances are trading the stuff around while the inventor of the tech doesn't get a portion of any gold.
(btw: if anyone is quite familiar with the expose mission: I wonder if succes chances are always 80% in case there's someting to expose)

Now in this game, 600g sounds much, but it *is* cheap.
Bab's would no way accept 600g and ~35gpt for a republic trade (and even if they would, Hammurabi could gold-plate his nose). Researching would take money and time.
Assuming worst case scenario, i.e. war broke out:
600g lost, but 35gpt should have been enough to bribe Korea/Germany. Granted, I wouldn't have had the republic (would leave it to lone scientist during war, originally assigned in turn 84), yet the score leading Babs would have been in trouble which is good for me (capturing Babylon w/ TGL, Pyr, MoM would have been totally out of question atm, though).

In consequence, I just couldn't resist to steal at 32% succes chance.

Just played 109, Germans smell anarchy and get a 20g tribute.
Old 20-11-2004, 21:30   #8
Grille

interesting (110):

12.78KB

The 3 civs I know are not revolting: Korea in despotism, Germany stayed in monarchy despite of republic knowledge and Babylonians are in republic.

Ottos completed ToA IBT110. Should pretty much reduce it to Hittite, Greeks and Chinese.

Old 20-11-2004, 21:38   #9
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Wow Grille, nice steal in the ancient age. That is something I dont see often (in fact I think it is the first time I ve seen anyone do it)

Congrats man.
Old 22-11-2004, 00:14   #10
Grille

A suicide galley of Beam met my curragh in German waters, we have contact now:

74.3 KB

hehe...

72.55 KB

...alas, I should have 'gifted' republic to Korea before.
(I even forgot to check F4/Korea's knowledge at all.)
Beam *could* possibly catch up easily in techs by trading rep.
Plus, with further contacts, he could get ahead on the long run
since techs would get much cheaper for him.

As almost expected, Beam also seeks his fortune in anarchy:

37.56 KB

Who will get out of anarchy first and open an embassy?
edit(in 109, I was #8 in MFG IIRC)
/edit

And here's the power bar:

131.43 KB

edit:
Babylon cascaded to HG-completion. I *hoped* for SunTzu's