Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 10-02-2005, 21:54   #11
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Good luck with the struggle! Seems like an adventurous affair you are having with ntl!

This kind of situation will not be possible in US (Texas) because most of the service agreements do not generally allow for these things. Usually, the ISP will record the call with customer permission and support people get fired if they are rude or if they lie openly.
Old 10-02-2005, 22:15   #12
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

This sucks and I thought I was a sore ass whem there were probs with my ADSL last month. Those people at least spoke Dutch and switched to 2nd level support (the people that really know things) pretty soon.

Penny wise, pound stupid.
Old 10-02-2005, 22:49   #13
Dell19
King

NTL just don't seem to get customer service right, I know lots of people who signed up with them and its fine when it works but if there is a problem there is a lot of hassle. However people keep on signing up with them since they are generally the cheapest ISP.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33   #14
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grs

Quote:
quote:TELEKOM (German one)
Sorry, but this is completely wrong. I know many people who say this, but most aren't even regular customers. The Dt. Telekom offers a support for privatemen that compares to nothing I have yet seen. Their business support is also extremly good - only drawback: they are very expensive.

I have used their internet services for about 10 years and their phone services for even longer and the downtime doesen't add to a day in total. I have been their business customer for 3 years and if their was a problem with a phone or data line, they were extremely fast to fix it.
I was not talking about downtime excusively, but about generally bad service.

What else would you call the Telekom policy of misinforming the customer (I later got my money back AND 2 months free phone so i wouldn't go to the police...)?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:29   #15
Melifluous
Administrator

Time to add my tuppence.

I am an NTL customer.

I get broadband and Cable TV through the same cable line and have rarely had down times of more than a few hours.

Support when I have needed it (about 2 years ago) was perfect, quickly went through possible problems, understood that I knew what a mouse was and adjusted their expectations of me accordingly and the engineer turned up when they said he would 2 days later and replaced my set top box which fixed my problem immediately.

Sorry is this isn't any help whatsoever, but I'd just like to say that NTL gets things right sometimes

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:39   #16
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Quote:
quote...)understood that I knew what a mouse was(...)
Your knowledge is overwhelming...

Seriously though - those engineers are terribly arrogant. I had to talk to a Telenor engineer on the web when their supportline for adsl was "down". Which was peculiar, because the supportline was down because they were fixing a general problem with people not being able to connect with their dsl modems. Anyway - I was setting up my father's G4 for wireless access. Having never done wireless before, and never touched a mac - I asked him a bit about what to configure. He treated me like I didnt know up and down on a computer. Terribly annoying.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:48   #17
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Quote:
quote...)understood that I knew what a mouse was(...)
Your knowledge is overwhelming...
Why you little...

Quote:

I asked him a bit about what to configure. He treated me like I didnt know up and down on a computer. Terribly annoying
I am a computer literate kinda guy, I program, I configure network equipment and I do support.

Tech Support *should* start the conversation treating you stupid and then gravitate towards your level of competency as the call progresses.

Quote:

Having never done wireless before, and never touched a mac
Also this line implies that indeed you didnt know up or down on a MAC

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:01   #18
anarres
anarchist butcher

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Time to add my tuppence.

I am an NTL customer.

I get broadband and Cable TV through the same cable line and have rarely had down times of more than a few hours.

Support when I have needed it (about 2 years ago) was perfect, quickly went through possible problems, understood that I knew what a mouse was and adjusted their expectations of me accordingly and the engineer turned up when they said he would 2 days later and replaced my set top box which fixed my problem immediately.

Sorry is this isn't any help whatsoever, but I'd just like to say that NTL gets things right sometimes

Melifluous
Good to know you had a nice service, but if you have a fault now I can promise you your service will be appauling.

Tech Support of all things is now in India, staffed by people with poor english skills, no technical skills, and lame ass crib sheets that don't have the info on. Oh, and they don't have full account details there (no records of my appointments, etc), and they don't let you escallate issues.

And finally, if you do need an engineer they require a security password on your account. I've had an ntl account for 4 years and never needed one!!!!

The one saving grace is that about 5% of calls goes to the one remaining tech support call center in the UK (in Swansea with a Customer Services (CS) call center). Note however some times of day it NEVER puts you to Swansea, and even CS can't transfer you to the Swansea faults department (only way to get there is the tech suppoer phone line lottery). If you do get there however they don't require a password to book an engineer.
Old 11-02-2005, 14:39   #19
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Mel: I had to set up both an airport and the damn network settings for the mac. I thought I had done everything right with the airport settings,but apparently there was an entirely different panel to open to configure general internet and network settings.

Those fools @ Telenor use PPPoE setup, whileas my own setup (using Nextgentel) needed little more but configuring my router and plugging in the network cable between the modem-router and pc. I do economics, not network configuration []
Old 11-02-2005, 22:13   #20
Grille

What an annoying story. Hope the new service is better!

Quote:

I do economics, not network configuration []
Hmmm, I smell there's a networking between the realm of economics and the quality of customer support...
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote