Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14   #11
bed_head7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

Kemal was a beta tester for cIV? Wow. was that cool?
Where did that come from?
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 14:34   #12
Ginger_Ale
Prince

I asked for a list of beta testers @ CFC and Civrules posted: [url=http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3235123&postcount=12]

Congrats Kemal.

Anyways, any of you can answer this question: WHEN WILL AMAZON SHIP WHAT I PREORDERED 2 WEEKS AGO??
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 14:56   #13
Melifluous
Administrator

I have the games now on DVD.

However its asking me to insert the correct CD to run??!?!?!

Tech Support says to insert Disk 1

Will their stuff ever work? ITS ON 1 FUCKIN DVD YOU IDIOTS!!

Deodorant anyone?

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 18:23   #14
Matrix
Administrator

I have a question: is the only advantage of spawning a religion that you don't have fog of war in the cities with that religion? The advantage of that is strategic/military, which is rather opposite to that AI being nicer to you when you have the same religion, isn't it?

Secondly, the more religions you have in a city, the more temples, monastries and cathedrals you can build. So isn't it a good thing to have as many religions in as many cities as possible?

Thirdly, you don't have to pay maintenance for buildings?!
Old 05-11-2005, 18:25   #15
Matrix
Administrator

Fourthly, why would you want another civ to take over your civic? What's the tactic in that?
Old 05-11-2005, 18:36   #16
killercane
Prince

1. Once you have the shrine built, every city in the world that has your religion contributes gold to your economy. I think its 1 gpt per city but not sure.

2. I think so, especially when you can change to the Free Religion civic later on.

3. Maintenance is calculated by distance from the capitol, and number of cities you possess. Buildings are essentially free.

4. Better relationships is the only thing I know.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 18:45   #17
Kemal

Don't forget that if you possess the holy city and have the shrine for that religion built, every city with that religion in the entire world will get you +1 gold to your income via the shrine. Also, the AI will sooner convert to the religion you have been spreading in its cities because it has more cities with that religion that way, giving you the friendship bonus and thus better trading options.

True, except that if an AI has a shrine, it will get money from your cities as well with that religion. On the other hand, in free religion, with a lot of religions present in a city, the happiness bonus can get quite big. Plus, there are the religious buildings, as you pointed out.

You don't pay maintenance for buildings, only for cities and units.

Having a civ take on other civics can be quite potent, it could for example destroy a large relationship bonus it has with another 3rd party civ because of "you have chosen your civics wisely" bonus, thus weakening relations between those 2 civs. But also, some empires are profiting more from certain civics than others, having the AI change civics can seriously hamper or encourage their development (and even your own). A good example would be having a civ adopt mercantilism, which (iirc) prevents all foreign trade routes, meaning every other civ gets hit commercially because it loses trade routes with that civ.
Old 05-11-2005, 21:52   #18
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Anybody have a clue how to disband a city??? (my manual is still at the office )
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:52   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Thanks for the answers on my questions. It does make me wonder how the difference will be between AI and humans in tactics, since humans don't care whether they have the same religion or civic as you. It still matters of course, but differently.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:15   #20
Markstar
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Anybody have a clue how to disband a city??? (my manual is still at the office )
Yep, I was wondering about that, too, and I even had the manual right in front of me (I stopped playing after a couple of hours because, well, it sucks. Constant crashes and slooooow game with a 3800+ PC is just not appealing to me).

I already ranted at CFC http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136983 so I'll spare you this time except this: How this game could have been released (after internal testing, feedback from betatesters) is beyond me. Some nice ideas but SO many things just simply screwed up it is unbelievable, even for a pessimist like me (if you remember my pessimistic expectations before cIV was released). Worst of all it all the gaming sites that hailed the game. I will henceforth NEVER trust in a magazine again and play a demo/copy (you can rent computer games here for 1.25€/day) before even thinking of buying it. Sad world, really.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote