Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 27-09-2010, 09:00   #11
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
It included disabling all sounds, which seemed to fix my crashing
Hmmm, you have onboard sound? Try updating your motherboard drivers.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:52   #12
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I have been going through all kind of options menus looking for the 'disable combat animation' option, but I have been unsuccesfull so far.

Anybody who can help me with this?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:45   #13
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Much obliged, PP.

For combat, there's quick combat animations and disable combat system in that same ini. I enabled quick combat but it didn't seem to change much.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:40   #14
grahamiam
Emperor

Beorn, would you mind telling us what components are in the system you are running? I see you starting CivV 14 times everynight, and I cringe at the thought of so many problems when my experience as been so smooth.

If you can, please put them in the "I'm not sure to buy civ 5..." thread.

Also, I've read in the 2k forum that animations are disabled in MP, so there has to be a way to do it for SP.

Last edited by grahamiam; 27-09-2010 at 18:46.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:53   #15
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamiam View Post
I see you starting CivV 14 times everynight, and I cringe at the thought of so many problems when my experience as been so smooth.
Yeah, I see Beorn's Steam pop up quite a few times as well. Although my experience isn't exactl smooth (end games slows quite a bit and I have occasional units that appear out of nowhere/boats that won't move to ocean tiles although there's no other unit around). So I have the occasional restart as well just to get the game in check again.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:11   #16
grahamiam
Emperor

This guy found the line to disable combat animations (the Combat system one you also saw)

Quote:
Under the heading [Disable Systems] change the value of the Combat element from 0 to 1 (which is backwards by industry standards - more evidence that however talented these guys are at making strategy games, they are inept software engineers)
There is another ini element in that file or another with a name to the effect of "Force quick combat." As far as I can tell, that one does nothing.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...ns#post9674052
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:54   #17
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I concur with the quick combat.

Also, I reset everything in my system including audio: crashing again. I disabled audio back: smooth sailing. However, and again on the point of software engineering, audio seems to be tied in with promotions as I cannot give any unit any promotion and they don't even get the automatic "embark", meaning if I want to send forces overseas I need to quit, re-enable sounds, play a turn, quit again before it crashes, re-disable sounds and proceed.

I'll definitely look into motherboard drivers, I wasn't aware those even existed.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:12   #18
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

This is all complete waste IMO. It needs a lot of patching and it is reasonable to expect frequent updates. Don't know who tested it and how but the game is essentially unplayable both from the point of balance and from the point of massive glitches. Same were with Civ3 for about 6 months after release. Hopefully, Steam will make them fix it faster. There is at least some semblance of standard to uphold there.

I think I'm not playing it until there is a sensible patch which eradicates most of bugs. However, this does not change my view on this game as being very good overall.
Old 28-09-2010, 16:48   #19
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I'm running the game in windowed mode, because that increases alt-tabbing speed dramatically. In TF2 there's a -noborder command to get rid of the "window", which basically eliminates the difference between windowed and full screen modes (that is, as long as you have the same resolution in-game as your desktop). Anyone knows how to do this in civ5?

Also, did anyone figure out how unit upkeep works?
Old 28-09-2010, 17:04   #20
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I noticed that sometimes when I disable a unit it changes nothing to my gpt, other times it changes a lot. It's just an uneducated first guess but I'd guess it's some sort of step function.