Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Site Feedback
Home

Old 21-09-2008, 21:38   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default Volunteers wanted for new forum testing

As you all can see the new forum is up but a lot of testing is still needed before we can convert definately. I'd like to finalise the whole new software/domainname thing this week but I need your help for that to make quick progress.

The following tasks need to be done

test user import
Not all users made it into the new forum: 159 users out of 614 failed. If someone above loves us those 159 users are just spambots, but if someone down below is screwing around with us things might not be that simple and convenient. The import script claimed the users couldnt be imported because they didnt provide an email addy but that seems strange cause afaik Snitz requires one as well.

So I need someone to
- crossreference the VB and Snitzusers to identify the 159 MIA
- figure out what caused them to fail

Solved: banned users do not import, which is a nice suprise. Emperor Amirsan's double account is the only one we need to unlock/lock to prevent his posts from reverting to guest. A lot of thanks to Digger and Shabbaman for figuring this all out.

test threads/posts
The first 2 attempts to import posts failed because the check on duplicate posts took ages and took up too much server capacity. I had the server crash after a few hours of conversion So I turned of the 'duplicate check' and low and behold: all posts were imported in 13 mins flat. But strangely were the duplicate check failed around 2% of imported posts, the 'non duplicate' import didnt fail any!!

I suspect that the duplicate check fails post that look the same after it ignored coe VB can;t comprehend. That would make posts with just smilies in them look the same for example. Still we need to be sure nothing seriously wrong has been imported and also we need to know that what is claimed to be correct appears correct as well.

So I need a few people who:
- will compare several threads in different fora to see if they're a 100% match in both fora.

test polls
The conversion failed 6 polls out of 204 polls. I;d like to know which ones. This will be a tedious taks cause no clues are gives which 6 failed.

I need someone who:
- Will crossreference polls in both fora and find as much of those 6 failures as possible.
- Try to find out why they failed

clean up
Moving shop is a great opportunity to clean up our forum a bit.I;d like to remove all spambot users and associated threads before we do the final conversion.

A need people who:
- will compose a list of users and threads to be removed
- will delete those threads when all testing is done.
note to all with deletion power: please do not start with this now cause that would interfere with our other integrity checks!!

other stuff
Apart from these defined tasks I would like to invite everybody to activate their user account on the new forum and fiddle around with the forum a bit so we run into the most bugs/weird stuff as possible.

Please do keep your thread making/replying/general posting confined to the test forum so you don't interfere with the other checks!!
general remark
The VB setup we have now will be deleted in its entirerity when we do the final move. So please keep your normal posting in the 'old/current' Snitz forum.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 21:51   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

Do I have a choice? Anyway, my guess is that it's the N/A members that have a thread in the spambot trashcan. I couldn't delete those members, since they had a valid postcount.
Old 21-09-2008, 22:45   #3
ProPain

You cant delete em?? Weird. We can do that in VB, their posts will then revert to user 'guest'
Old 21-09-2008, 23:14   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

I've checked, I think the number about adds up to 159...
Old 22-09-2008, 01:21   #5
Furiey
King

You may have to check the rights on the threads, some forums appear to be visible when it looks like they should not be. Although it's very interesting, this one for example: http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/for...c&daysprune=-1
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 01:47   #6
ProPain

thanks, missed that but all very old gossip anyway so maybe it should all be disclosed anyway
Old 22-09-2008, 09:55   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:- will compose a list of users and threads to be removed
- will delete those threads when all testing is done.
I just read this part, but like I said in my earlier post: I'm confident that the only spambots left are the N/A accounts. Almost all spam is located in the spambot trashcan. Most threads and spambot accounts have been deleted.

Deleting accounts is tedious; can you delete all the N/A accouts from the database at once?
Old 22-09-2008, 11:37   #8
BCLG100
Deity

just to confirm, to get my password to this i need to go through the lost password button thing?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 13:03   #9
digger760
King

my password did not seem to work either, i had to request mine to be reset.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 15:32   #10
ProPain

All passwords need to be reset, has to do with the fact that they're put thru a coding mechanism before they are stored in the database. Snitz and VB use different coding algorithms, thus the passwords dont work anymore and you have to do the lost password routine.

@shabba, deleting accounts using the database is quite dangerous. If we're pretty sure the missed accounts are the spambot accounts and they dont get ported in anyway we might as well let the problem solve itself during the database conversion.