Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Site Feedback
Home

Old 30-09-2008, 23:30   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default CDZ will be moving today

Ok people, the time to leave our old Snitz hovel and move to a new and shiny VB forum has arrived.

I've got one more issue that I need answered but otherwise I think we're safe to move over to the VB environment on the long await civduelzone.com domain name. There are some minor issues to be taken care of but most of them can be done best after we have moved.

I've planned to move the site tomorrow everning, unless the last remaining major issue turns out to be more important than thought (waiting on an answer from the VB pro's here)

What will happen
In order for the move to go as smoothly as possible it's best that the server load is low. So I'll be temporarily closing down both civduelzone.com and cvi3duelzone.com. My estimate is that we'll be offline for about 3 hours because especially the MS Access to MySQL conversion took quite some time. I;m hoping to start when the kids are in bed, which is around 8pm my time (GMT +1). If all goes well, we'll be up at 11pm my time, of all goes extremely well maybe even a bit sooner.

What can you do to help
Quite a lot actually

1) Make sure you change your email address to an accesible one before we move to VB. That will save me and Shabba quite some time dealing out passwords manually.

2) Try to avoid surfing to the old and new forum especially between 8pm and 10pm. The less load on the server the better.

3) If you have any tech skills, it's very much appreciated if you can be online on MSN during the move so I consult you in case stuff goes wrong.

4) If you don't have any tech skills it would still be very much appreciated if you could be online from 10pm or so. There might be some tasks that need to be done manually after the move and many hans make light work.

after the move
After the move I'll reopen both sites. It will be possible to post here on the old forum so you have a place to go should you have trouble logging in on the new forum. Posts made on the Snitz forum after the conversion won't be ported to new VB one obviously.

I'm not sure yet how long we'll need to keep up the old forum as well. I'd say it will depend mostly on the number of people running into trouble on the new site. Once the problems die out, I'm in favor of closing down this forum or maybe closing posting options and leaving it as some sort of archive/trip down memory lane (wow, look at that old layout!)

That's sort of it I think. Should you have any remaining questions just gimme a nudge in this thread/with a pm/on MSN.

EDIT: Thursday 2nd of octobre we'll move to VB. My estimate start time is 20:30 Amsterdam time, I still reckon we'll need up to 3 hours to get the job done. All other stuff said earlier still applies

<s></s>
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 23:35   #2
Matrix
Administrator

I'll be online. I've converted a forum myself once as well and have got a bit of knowledge of php, should you need help.

I think it's important that people visiting this forum after the move will notice immediately that it's an old one. Perhaps you can move all subforums here into the archive, except for one. Or close all except one. That is, if that is not too much trouble.

Good luck, and it can't be said enough: thanks for all the effort!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:38   #3
grahamiam
Emperor

8 to 10PM when?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51   #4
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

8 to 10PM when?
I'm guessing CET, 'cause that's where PP is...
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07   #5
socralynnek

I'd rather say, he is at CEST...although the summer has gone...

I am not available today. Maybe I can help a little tomorrow or in the next few days.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18   #6
Shabbaman
Administrator

Nitpicker Anyway, he means in 11 to 12 hours from now.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20   #7
Furiey
King

Yes, I think that's GMT+2 as PP is Europe which is 1 hour ahead of UK which is 1 hour ahead of GMT. EDT is GMT-4 so 8-11PM PP time will be 2-5PM EDT. Daylight saving makes time conversions all the more fun...

Furiey, rapidly becoming a time nerd.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38   #8
ProPain

Quote:
quote:What will happen
In order for the move to go as smoothly as possible it's best that the server load is low. So I'll be temporarily closing down both civduelzone.com and cvi3duelzone.com. My estimate is that we'll be offline for about 3 hours because especially the MS Access to MySQL conversion took quite some time. I;m hoping to start when the kids are in bed, which is around 8pm my time (GMT +1).If all goes well, we'll be up at 11pm my time, of all goes extremely well maybe even a bit sooner.
It's there but admittedly I mentioned it only once. So to be clear:

all times are mentioned are my time which is GMT+1 (Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris zone)
Old 01-10-2008, 11:19   #9
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

I'll try to be there.
Old 01-10-2008, 19:02   #10
ProPain

I finally got some answers from VB and they came up with a possible solution to the double posts. I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

THIS MEANS WE'RE NOT GONNA MOVE TONIGHT BUT MOST LIKELY TOMORROW!

Sorry about the late call, just got the info so couldnt do this earlier