Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Site Feedback
Home

Old 11-09-2007, 21:48   #11
Socrates
Emperor

The frontpage. IMHO we don't need one ! Do we need to attract new players through the frontpage ? Do we need to forever expand ? I don't think so. Having only the forum to care about should be good enough.

The ladder. When I joined here, I quickly found out a ladder wasn't that fun anyway, and that this wasn't the purpose of the site. I'd rather come here, have a cookie, engage in one game now and then, have a chat with people, etc... (like in CDZ meetings ) rather than trying to beat everyone at the ladder. But then, if enough people really want it...

CDZ own Pitboss server. Why not ? PitBoss is not my cup of tea anyway.

Tournaments. Too time-consuming for me.

IRC chat server. Why not if enough people are interested ? Could be an alternative, since I'll end up leaving MSN (and everything related to M$) quite soon.

Featured articles. Why not.

This was just my half a cent. I haven't played Civ for a few months and don't plan on resuming anytime soon. But I like it here. Besides, I've always been for a forum change, but these days I don't mind if we make the move or not (I waited too long). Nevertheless, I've studied computing recently and I'm now working in IT, which means I could be helpful (ahem). Even if I'm not a top dog like Meli eg., dealing with PHP sounds appealing.
Old 11-09-2007, 21:57   #12
Pastorius
Custard used tile

<html>
Krys is a poopy head
</html>

Edit: I don't think we need any frontpage, unless someone makes a nice application to add text to with little effort.

Pitboss server - good idea
Tournaments - probably also a good idea
Ladder - meh
new forum language - good idea

Good discussion so far.

BTW - does the future of CDZ come as snitz, phpbb or IPB?
Old 11-09-2007, 22:05   #13
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

When is Paal going to play Civ again?
Old 11-09-2007, 22:10   #14
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Paal plays civ. But my current computer is not very good at it though (placement of keys on a laptop being a big hindrance). I do play c3c single player, but I ve had quite a pause, so I am not very good at it at the moment (playing regent, about to move back up on to monarch)

When we move, I ve got green light for a new desktop, and optimizing for civ play is on my todo list.

On the other hand, baby will probably take up mucho time (I ve seen from others on here)
Old 12-09-2007, 09:08   #15
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

<
BTW - does the future of CDZ come as snitz, phpbb or IPB?
Propain bought a vB license. We need someone to convert the database. Where's dr. A when you need him? [cookie]
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36   #16
Markstar
King

Hmm, what is the advantage of vB?

phpBB is free and if you google for it, there seem to be plenty of converters out there.

Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 13:49   #17
mauer
King

Redesign of the page
Doesn't bother me any, but when I first came here I thought it was a hole in the wall operation. Who knew I'd be right

Bring back the ladder!
I'd probably participate if it were active, but....

CDZ own Pitposs server/featured MP games
That would be good.

- Tournaments
I think ID is working on this already, but mostly for CFC I believe. Sounds like a good idea anyways.

- IRC chat server
I wouldn't use it. Besides there's only 2 or 3 of you that will talk to me anyways...lol

Featured articles
meh

The reason I come here is the reason I sent Klammi and failedreality here. A small group of guys....er people, no offense Furiey , that are easy going (for the most part) and quite dependable. I like SPAM as well. CFC might be prettier, but you have to deal with goobers over there en masse. To be honest, I might go to CFC like once a week or less.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 13:54   #18
socralynnek

Some fresh people could be nice ( but I don't know if we'll get enough to make a ladder, but it might be worth a try)
OTOH, I like that it is not too crowded here and I guess that most people here are reliable for PBEMs.

I don't think that IRC is needed but I do agree that some special events would be nice like having a pitboss server with short games.

And I think that a forum transition should include having access to old content (i.e. spoilers). But a new software could be nice...although the spambots have become less....
Old 12-09-2007, 14:09   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Propain bought a vB license.
He did? Wasn't that a bit premature?

Simple Machines is free and has a converter from Snitz to SMF. I've converted from IPB to SMF and converting was quite simple.

But I'd find it hard to believe vB doesn't have a battery of converters too...
Old 14-09-2007, 01:04   #20
Furiey
King

The spoilers are great, I don't have much time for Civ3 at the moment and my PC is useless for 4 so the spoilers allow me to get my civ fix. They are what brought me to this site. Plus it's great not having to worry about what I say in case I offend a young child. So mostly I just occasionally spam.

The front page wasn't what brought me here, if there is one it needs to be updated and nicely laid out, but if the forums are the focus why not just go straight there?
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote