Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 18-11-2004, 16:46   #21
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

last time I was indus was in PTW
Just a big : LOL. Ah, the good old days of being industrious... This trait is even mediocre now, really. Agricultural is better anytime, commercial is just powerful too, seafearing rules apart on pangea, militaristic was beefed up with the new armies but toned down with the SGLs "replacing" the MGLs for wonders but is nice on pangea, scientific was beefed up and could even be really good with working SGLs, religious is not so strong, and expansionnist is just expansionnist.

All in all, the industrious trait belongs to the 4 weakest traits in any given game. Mayans, great Mayans, you are C3C's utter contradiction...
Old 18-11-2004, 17:06   #22
anarres
anarchist butcher

Just replace the BWT with "WorkerSpeed" then diggger - the post is correct about anarchy slaves, and I think is also correct about industrial workers (I'm almost certain that's how it was in PTW).
Old 18-11-2004, 22:12   #23
Grille

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal
Btw, shouldn't there also be a clear jungle in the worker actions, for 24 turns?
Clear Jungle and Clear wetlands has the same BWT..the difference in clearing them comes down to the tile movement cost

marsh MoveCost = 2
jungle MoveCost = 3
BWT for jungle and wetlands = 16
That equations again: Turns = (TileMoveCost x BWT)/ WorkerSpeed

Example - non-indus -&gt; WorkerSpeed = 2
Clear Marsh Turns = (2x16)/2 = 16 turns
Clear Jungle Turms = (3x16)/2 = 24 turns

Example - Indus -&gt; WorkerSpeed = 3
Clear Marsh Turns = (2x16)/3 = 10.6 -&gt; 11 turns
Clear Jungle Turms = (3x16)/3 = 16 turns

EDIT: no gov or tech bonuse taken into consideration. I'll get to that later
you made my day.
d'oh, I thought marshes consume 3MPs as well!
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 23:44   #24
Justus II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Slave workers do NOT work slower in anarchy!!! (110% sure about this)

Also, IIRC indus workers do NOT get the bonus in anarchy! I could be wrong here - last time I was indus was in PTW.

Crazy shit, but I think they've hardcoded the BWT for workers to 1 in anarchy, regardless of anything else.
Yes, there is something bugged (I believe it's acutally some parentheses in the wrong place in a formula somewhere, or a rounding error), but when the Worker Speed setting for a given government is set to 1, ALL workers (slave, normal, industrious, non-Ind) all work at the same base speed. In a regular game, that is only functional during anarchy, but in mods (such as The Ancient Mediterranean, which I've done testing with) if more advanced gov'ts use a worker setting of 1, they have the same effect. So there, the Industrious civs get no benefit during those governments. (Another reason to get out of Despotism in that Mod!).
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 11:30   #25
anarres
anarchist butcher

I think it's more likely that they deliberatly hard coded it because it was only used in anarchy, and they wanted all workers to work at slave speed for that.
Old 10-12-2004, 20:26   #26
Grille

Save (me from) the rainforests?

Look at this jungle paradise:

143.28KB

Wouldn't it be more efficient to plop/abandon cities at some point there rather than clearing it by workers? (at least to get 2 or so cleared tiles per city?)
Old 10-12-2004, 21:10   #27
grahamiam
Emperor

wow, that's a lot of jungle! you may consider utilizing the bannana's with your settler clearing idea (2fpt as jungle, 3fpt each when on grass and despot), too bad bonapak can't take advantage of them or it could build it's own workers. imho, i'd only do the settler clearing trick after the iron is secured to the NE (done!), horses are secured, and the choke is sealed to the SW and you have the "corner" secured (sugar area W of jungle)thanks to the bannana's, that jungle land will be quite nice once it's cleared.

edit: thinking about this some more, that's 6 jungle tiles out there needing to be cleared (6 bannana's), or 24 turns, in addition to the 4 (rough estimate) towns that can be placed in there. so, the question is, do you want 6 throw-away settlers or 12 workers. imho, i'd go for the workers as you'll get more than a 1T use out of them, unless your done expanding and can afford the throw-away settlers (180 shields, can't come to grips with it!)
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 17:45   #28
Grille

Agreed, I think I rather build/use the workers. Might be different for non-industrious.
Since it's a large map, there's tons of space left to expand to; would hurt to waste settlers (at least in the near furure). Maybe my Japanese neighbour (AI) 'clears' one or another tile.
Old 13-12-2004, 12:57   #29
digger760
King

I never heard anybody using the Fascist Government..but this maybe a good one for it (2x worker speed bonus)

EDIT - dont you get the settler back when abandoning a city?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 21:35   #30
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

I never heard anybody using the Fascist Government..but this maybe a good one for it (2x worker speed bonus)
i have played facist gov't in an sg and can say for sure that i don't like it. i'd rather research towards RP than waste time on this tech. also, usually, by that point in the game (IA), your economy is so good that cash rushing is easier.

with 6 non-industrious workers, total turns to clear each jungle should be = 3x16/(2x6) = 4 turns.

Quote:
quote:EDIT - dont you get the settler back when abandoning a city?
i just get a pile of rocks
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote