Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 24-11-2003, 15:15   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default Age of Discovery spoiler & discussion thread

I was wondering, the civ conquests are per definition SP challenges... so they'll go in this subforum right?

I'll not bore you with where you can build your cities, but cut right into the exploitive stuff.

1. Get magellan's voyage. Free frigates equal good times. Unfortunately, it looks like only the portugese have a productive capital...
2. Kill the aztecs. Somehow, the aztecs are weaker than the other indians. The iroquis are weak as well, but they'll expand really fast.

One thing: what does "flavor" mean in the editor? Does "flavor" meso-american mean that the European civs can't build meso-american improvements? Probably so... otherwise this scenario has a major flaw: research the ancient meso-american techs and build their wonders...

I'll get some maps and stories more later on, if anyone is interested...
Old 24-11-2003, 15:35   #2
anarres
anarchist butcher

I reckon this is the place for Conquests too Shabba. I haven't played AoD yet because I have a thing about Victory Points (they seem very easy to manipulate).
Old 24-11-2003, 16:12   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

How do you mean 'manipulate'? The reverse capture the flag is strange, I doubt if the AI really knows how to maximize that. You get massive points for treasury, compared to the victory point locations...

Two things that just came up:
1. Treasures: the resources (like furs) needed in the city box (!) to build a 'treasure factory' that produces the treasure are worthless for other cities. But, since they're strategic resources, the AI will buy them from you. Now, that IS a bug: it's not buggy, but it is exploitive.
2. Palace jumps: I don't do palace jumps (personally I don't think it's in the spirit of the game to disband your palace, but I see how you can maximize your score with it) and I don't really know how it works, but it must be possible to make your palace jump to the new world (esp. for the dutch, they only got 3 cities, and Brussels is tiny...). Combined with the reverse CTF this can be exploitive as well (esp. v.s. a human opponent who's pirating your transports).

What I forgot to mention: this scenario is almost as much fun as Colonization. I'm sure this one will get many hours of play in the future!
Old 24-11-2003, 16:26   #4
Skyfish

I think you should put the word SPOILER in your title : you are giving away surprise factors here

Also where is the Challenge in your thread ? I dont get it...
Old 24-11-2003, 16:32   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

The conquests are single player challenges right? Finish them with a high score, that's the challenge...
Old 24-11-2003, 16:51   #6
Skyfish

Oh OK sorry !

However as anarres says the points can be manipulated just like in Civ3/PTW score : welcome to the Milking Challenge
Old 24-11-2003, 23:11   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, unlike the histograph you can get a victory point victory (sounds strange). Which is achievable.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:14   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

“achievable”, means there’s a cap on the number of victory points. So you could milk for histograph points, but you’d have to keep the indians from a cultural victory and the AI from a victory poins victory. Hospitals come very late in the game, and there’s not that much space to settle either (sounds strange, but everyone builds colonies (or for the indians just cities ) everywhere. And then corruption becomes a problem (if you build your FP in southern US, the south of south america and africa are too far away to become productive). Milking for points isn’t that helpful I think.

Besides that, it’s boring.

But what I wanted to mention: the FP in this scenario works just like a FP in vanilla. So I still don’t get what that FP bug does. I mean, it works in this scenario…
Old 10-12-2003, 12:06   #9
Plux
King

I am playing this one too, because I really liked colonization (although back then it wasn't too exciting for a game), but I just like the idea of the new world, I guess. Playing at emperor now. Had one go before (also as the dutch), but then I refused to pay the French tribute, which resulted in a quick loss of Antwerp (because I had put almost all my units immediately in the ships and I thought I had heard somewhere that there could be no war in Europa. Guess I was wrong ).

Anyway, I have been thoroughly colonizing the east of the US (pushing back the Iroquois with a war), and some places in South America and Africa. It seems AI is not really capable of keeping up with settling in the new world at this rate. The indigenous tribes have most of the land! I like the idea of the treasures, but the other European powers seem to have trouble to grasp the concept. Now I have too much treasures and too little units to transport them all. Spain has a lot of VP because of a war with Portugal (they took Oporto), but my treasures will beat that easily now that they are at peace again. Summarizing, I like the scenario, but the AI seems to be too dumb to play it competitively, alas.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:14   #10
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

PLayed it once on emp level as the dutch. Build a few more med.inf. and attacked the french. I immediately ran em over. very weird. Please be carefull Med.Inf have amphibious assault in this scenario. Stupid french captured Amsterdam from a boat. Retook it, but it was embarresing anyway
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote