Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Nightfa11's Forum
Home

Old 01-08-2003, 13:43   #1
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

Default Nightfa11-OPD Spoiler

Well, this game is already in turn 170 but I'll see how well I can recap in this thread. The level is deity light (one extra settler). That may very well become my favorite level to play, as it's not quite the struggle against the AI that Deity is, which makes it more fun, but the AI actually manages to produce some units, which doesn't happen as well on lower levels.

Here's my starting position

16.52KB

Lots of plains. OPD didn't move his settler because his score was 60 while mine was still 0.

My initial plan was to rush to pottery and build a granary. Irrigate some plains and pump settlers. We'll come back in 20 turns or so and see how things are going.
Email: mike@nospam.dickey.cc
Nightfa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 14:17   #2
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

Not much to show in turn 20. I was five turns from a granary. Then, to give my pop time to build up, I built a barracks and a few units as well.

My strategy was to attempt RCP at 3.5 and 7

At turn 50, I had a tidy little area of four cities and was churning out a settler every six turns, plus maybe a bonus settler or two from my non-capital cities

71.31KB

Sometime between turn 50 and 80, the Chinese decided to declare war. Bad idea. Legions are fairly nasty when they get to your borders. I decided to war until I got a great leader and begin researching literature. Here is the situation at turn 80

140.11KB

Sometime between turn 80 and when I finished Literature, I got my first Great Leader. I rushed Great Library as pyramids were already finished (on the other continent)

Then I made peace with the Chinese.
Old 01-08-2003, 14:44   #3
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

War with England-Leader Farming:

The english had some nice territory, the Great Lighthouse and Colossus. I decided to go to war with them in turn 109. I had finished Monarchy in turn 108 and the Greeks were already at war with the English so I decided this would be a good time to strike. I sent a stack of 26 legions into english territory. Oh and one archer.

Here's the stack at Turn 109, after declaring war:

141.68KB

Here's the world map at turn 109:

7.91KB
Old 01-08-2003, 15:10   #4
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

England Eliminated:

Turn 158 saw the end of the English "Empire" when their final city was eliminated. During the war with England I generated five leaders and built the following:

Leader 1: Sun Tzu
Leader 2: Leonardo's
Leader 3: Sistine Chapel
Leader 4: Killed in culture flip
Leader 5: Forbidden Palace

OPD and I had a sort of weird peace agreement: I would give him all the techs from the Great Library if he and I would alternate research on the Military Tradition path. I would wait to give him education, and then when the AI's entered the industrial age, I would give him the city with the Great Library (for one turn only)and he would in turn give me all the techs he received past education. In addition we have peace until the industrial age.

Now that we're doing this, I'm not so sure it's a great idea. I'm going to miss out on Copernicus and Newton most likely because I'm waiting on the techs. I'm thinking about honoring my end of the deal but researching these techs myself.

Here's the world map at the end of the war with England

8.44KB
Old 01-08-2003, 15:54   #5
anarres
anarchist butcher

Impressive stuff, can we have a screenshot of the demographics?
Old 01-08-2003, 16:09   #6
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

Here are the demographics at the end of the war with England

17.05KB

I have since moved into #2 in GNP. I am a monarchy (because of constant war). I'm not sure what all this stuff means so I need to do some research to figure it out.

Anarres, since you are reading this and you are the one who recommended deskscan...do you know how to take a screenie with deskscan of a stack? When you right click to get the stack it tries to take the picture.
Old 01-08-2003, 16:13   #7
Aggie
Emperor

Good game Nightfa11! But I never would have agreed with that peace deal. Especially because you are at two continents. He can't harm you and you would have the upperhand.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 16:25   #8
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

War with the Chinese Turn 168

Here's how stupid the AI is. What do you do when you have a settler and one spear in foreign territory. When you are told to get out, what do you do? You declare war????

I guess so. Here was the situation:

My stack was a combination of 27 knights and med inf. His stack was 4 longbowmen and 3 spear. The other assorted stuff within range of my stack was all killed. AFAIK, this was the majority of the Chinese army. This series of battles generated a leader (my seventh) which built Bachs. As of turn 172 no more leaders but the Chinese are hurting.

23.8KB
Old 05-08-2003, 23:01   #9
Nightfa11
Part-Timer

Well, I am at turn 190 now (or thereabouts). I have just about finished off the chinese (will post screenies when I get my comp back. I have a leader on the shelf. Not sure what to use him for. Probably Newtons or Smiths. I'm sure I can get at least one more while attacking the greeks. I have switched to Republic from Monarchy (hard to think all that was worth it after 7 turns of anarchy, but I have been at war for 75 turns or thereabouts. The greeks are next on my shopping list.

I'm generating 300 gold per turn w/ research turned off because OPD owes me metallurgy when he's done researchign it. Then the research gets turned on full force for Mil Trad and I have some Greek for dinner.

I think OPD has all he can handle in the French. He's been at war with them for a while and hasn't made much headway. That's good news. Other good news. The french have evidently discovered Navigation and desperately (to the tune of 36gpt) want saltpeter. So that's a nice income and they can build musketeers to hold off OPD.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:25   #10
Aggie
Emperor

Indeed, musketeers will give them a Golden Age as well! Making it even more difficult for OPD

I would rush Smith by the way. You are pretty sure to get another leader huh? Well, you may get one. But in my game vs ERIKK (the first) I was at war for almost the entire game. Still I didn't get more than two leaders. Both at the end when it was too late! You had a lot of them, but that isn't goig to garantue new ones...

Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote