Old 05-09-2006, 03:24   #21
BCLG100
Deity

what are your military stengths now?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:44   #22
WackenOpenAir

Obviously, i am strong now compared to him.
This should be a pretty devastating blow to KC.

I already had a stronger empire with my pyramids and commercial trade, now he is suffering heavy WW. The WW makes 9 citizens uphappy in each of his size 12 cities. This is unaffordable for sure. His only real option is to swich for Monarchy right now and hope he can someday catch up. If he does not swicht to monarchy, he will be unable to do any significant research, it will even be difficult for him to research communism.

So let's assume he does swich to Monarchy, he loses another 6 or so turns on anarchy, together with the 8 turns he spent on optional techs, that makes a 14 turn loss. I was behind 3 and am gonna research an optional mysef, so that leaves me with a 7 turn tech lead.

Now unit support will be less of a problem for him. But still, my republic, certainly with stronger empire, should outresearch him quite a bit. He then has the option to invite me to attack him, trying to get the WW on me as well. ("If you attack me now and take 2 cities, it's game over") Since he is then monarch and i still republic, efficiency is not so important for him anymore as it is to me, if he just gets the WW on me, or at least has enough units to force me to have those as well, so that i pay heavy unit support.

I will simply follow my path to research MT and upgrade my mounties to cavalry. I am not yet sure how weakened he is and what he will do. If i feel he is really very weak, i may research navigation and attack him with cavalry. However, that will take about 10 turns to research both and if the attack fails, i dug myself the same hole he just did. So i will only attack if i feel rather sure the game is gonna end right there. If i do not decide to attack, i will just keep some cavs around to keep him at bay and race for Industrial age. I guess he who gets flight first with more than very few turns difference wins the game.

Hopefully i will be able to combine first to bombers with getting ToE and hooverdam. If he is gonna send me more boats, i may also see if i can take ironclads.
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 18:20   #23
WackenOpenAir

I will finish it now. I now have 3000gold and 58 mounties. My rough plans are:
-join or disband most workers to reduce upkeep cost within few turns.
-stop research after Navigation (10 turns to go) after that, make 400 gpt. (7k gold in 20 turns)
-disconnect salpeter
-produce 60 pikes and 20 caravels in about 16 turns
-upgrade 60 pikes to muskets(2700gold) and 40 mouts to cavs(3600gold)
-board and attack with 60 muskets and 30 cavs about 17 turns from now.
Old 06-09-2006, 18:28   #24
Rik Meleet

50 muskets + 30 cavs Vs 1 nuke. Gotta see that
Old 06-09-2006, 19:50   #25
grs
The Nameless One

Why do you so heavily rely on defensive units?
Old 06-09-2006, 20:23   #26
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grs

Why do you so heavily rely on defensive units?
Hi grs old teammate, nice to see you among the readers

I think i explained that in one of my former posts in this thread.

When invading an island, the defender gets first strike. Most likely, he will have his boats out in sea to spot me comming, so ALL his units will attack the landing party. Just like i did to him. Obviously, not attacking isn't an option for him as i would then simply take 3 cities and reload the rest of my units to land again elsewhere. The defender basically has to kill all units that land on his island in a single turn.

Therefore, key is to survive that first strike. 60 muskets should be able to survive trough the attacks of about 90 cavalry/120 knights.
My cavalry just gets to kill the units that attacked my muskets and use their movement for taking cities. I figure i should be able to hit 3 cities from 1 landing spot with them.

In D-Day games like these, defending units are the best to attack and offending units are best to defend.

When i look at back at this game, i have learned some things. I now know this game could have been over very easilly had KC put more effort in his attack. He could have simply build 100 of his cheap enkidus and i would have had no chance to kill them all in 1 turn.

I have also learned how the tech tree in civ3 is pretty interesting for multiplayer. You have to make real choises to research an optional tech or not. And it is exactly the right tactical techs that are made optional (navigation for Magelans could be a strong wonder for IA naval warfare, MT and Chivalry of course and Ironclads. The ToE-Hooverdam path is also kind of optional as it does not lead towards flight but it is pretty darn powerfull. Lots of tactical choises with the tech tree. Good design job.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37   #27
WackenOpenAir

Just a little picture in between after 10 turns of producing. Navigation is just finished now, but as planned i will keep producing a little more

42.8KB
Old 11-09-2006, 06:11   #28
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I assume you have some agreement about blocking all coastal tiles against landing? Since this is the only sure way to stop invasion and continue the game.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38   #29
WackenOpenAir

Yes we agreed blocking is not legal.
Old 13-09-2006, 14:07   #30
WackenOpenAir

turn 137:

35.77*KB

It will unfortunately take a few more turns to gather and board them all.
Meanwhile, i keep building mounties at a rate of 4 per turn or so that i will upgrade to cavalry, incase KC decides to make a counter attack so i can defend myself.