Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 20-10-2006, 19:53   #111
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robboo
... Nothing more ticks me off more than discussing rules after we start playing.
Well, agree here completely with you Robboo. I just do not understand the point here. Not that we are discussing some new explot or bug or glitch, no. It is a feature and if somebody does not like it, do not play that kind of game. For slow movers like me there is some time lag on the server rumored to be 6 seconds but actually is somewhat less than that.
Old 20-10-2006, 20:03   #112
IglooDude

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

[sigh] I obviously have a lot more easy going wife.

It probably won't matter as I'll play as soon as the turn begins. But just a slight bit of organisation is way easier than switching to PBEM, where all the players not involved in this war also play in turn. You're making it much more of a problem than it actually is, and you obviously underestimate the negative effects of double moves. I mean, I could've destroyed IglooDude's city!
Just to be clear here - I'm not DMing Matrix only because he noted at the beginning of the war that he wasn't DMing. My agreement with him does not extend to or necessarily affect others fighting me, or others fighting Matrix. I fully expect to DM BCLG in this game sooner or later. And the game rules do not prohibit DMing, there is no discussion of "the rules" in this thread as far as I can see, just tactics and agreements.
Old 20-10-2006, 20:35   #113
Matrix
Administrator

Akots, do you realise that such tactics for playing simultaneous turns actually takes far more time than playing in turn? You and Tubby are contradicting each other.
Old 20-10-2006, 20:40   #114
Tubby Rower

I'm so confused Games aren't supposed to be this mentally taxing
Old 20-10-2006, 20:53   #115
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Akots, do you realise that such tactics for playing simultaneous turns actually takes far more time than playing in turn? You and Tubby are contradicting each other.
Well, it does take less time because you've got to move your stuff in a Pitboss game only during a single timespan over a period of 2 turns. Just to make sure to login at the end of turn and wait for a few minutes. And then can move again and forget all together about the game for 48 hours to come.

And I'm not arguining with anyone here. You play like you want and let others play like they want and find it convenient for themselves as well.
Old 22-10-2006, 20:15   #116
DaveShack
Chieftain

Discussions of DM are going on several places...

My opinion is that this game was set up as "no rules" so there is nothing enforceable. Particular pairs or groups of players may agree to follow a certain convention.

Giving advance warning of a DM to invert the move order and make it easy on everyone is very honorable. Matrix improved his rep in my eyes by doing that.

On a purely academic basis...
A DM in a two-player context is swapping "move order" by either the player who "normally" plays second to arrage to move first in a turn, or the one who "normally" plays first to arrange to play last. This supposes that "move order" is a valid concept for simultaneous turns, which several people have asserted that it is, and several say that it is not.

If you think of simultaneous turns as being just a faster PBEM with an implied move order, then a DM is inherently self-correcting if the players resume their normal play order, and it's a one-time inversion of the play order if they don't.

A B | A B | B A | B A | B A the players have swapped order

A B | A B | B A | A B | A B both players did a DM and back to normal

Clearly, the 2nd player is the only one who can actually do a DM. The 1st player can force the 2nd player to DM in order to get a DM opportunity on the next turn, by delaying his turn until the 2nd player is forced to DM.
Old 23-10-2006, 00:41   #117
BCLG100
Deity

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

Just to be clear here - I'm not DMing Matrix only because he noted at the beginning of the war that he wasn't DMing. My agreement with him does not extend to or necessarily affect others fighting me, or others fighting Matrix. I fully expect to DM BCLG in this game sooner or later. And the game rules do not prohibit DMing, there is no discussion of "the rules" in this thread as far as I can see, just tactics and agreements.
on right are we not friends then? i havnt done anything in the way of not friendlyness....

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 01:56   #118
IglooDude

We're friends, you were just a convenient name to put in there.
Old 23-10-2006, 02:47   #119
BCLG100
Deity

so wait a minute are we allowing DM'ing then? just a little confused i assume we are and ill play like that until someone tells me we're not

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 12:38   #120
Matrix
Administrator

DM's are allowed here. I just don't like that, so I...avoid it and they help along.