Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Ladder section
Home

Old 27-01-2005, 16:05   #11
anarres
anarchist butcher

Contact me on my CDZ email. I may not be on msm all the time but I am usually near my email and I always answer it.

SQL is like any code language, in that you can build it up bit by bit.
Old 27-01-2005, 18:05   #12
Markstar
King

I wish I could have played more ladder games but I tried (with limited success) to focus on my university.

But now my girlfriend is leaving me for six months (to work in Australia) which should give me a decent amount of free time so I plan on picking up Civ again (I have yet to start my first C3C single player game).

I love the ladder and I hope there will always be people willing to play because once I'm done with my studies and in a job where I can play computer during work (like not so few of the best Civ players seem to be able to) I would love to get into PBEMs again.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 21:57   #13
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There might be sort of short games for the cup like scenarios (WWII for example). Or winner can be determined by turn 150 (good timing for 2 months) just by having higher score. Or it can be a tiny Pangea no-AI 1x1 game which should normally end around turn 150 as well but if started with 2-3 settlers can end substantially earilier.

IMO, ladder or cup is not something really important and the only thing to keep CDZ functional and live. It is Ok without it. But it is of more interest to play PBEM games with some sort of competition. It just adds spice to the game (unless it is a match between Beam and Erikk). Same like playing GOTM or HOF game since I cannot make myself just sit and play a single-player game (unless it is some beautiful and exciting mod like TAM or Kingreno's). Still would be nice to have a few tested maps for Kingreno's mod suitable for a Deity game.

Edited: Actually, I would say either update the ladder at least on a 3-month-based intervals or remove it completely. (Suddenly remembers abour the recently neglected chess forum and rushes to update it as well).
Old 27-01-2005, 22:45   #14
Socrates
Emperor

Right akots, thanks to propose some stuff. I'm answering you now...

Conquests for PBEMS ? As you once said, they're not that good for PBEM on the whole, they could get boring to play again and again, and they're buggier than normal games (based on RoR for me).

Games ending by score ? No way. Well, you won't have me playing in a tourney game with civ score as the deciding factor. How frustrating it can be to try to catch up in score for weeks, and you eventually see the other guy just winning ahead of you, just because he founded a few more cities or connected one more lux...

Tiny Pangea 1v1 games could be much interesting, as they would be played quickly, and it would be better to set up a good map like this, since there would be less tiles to draw. The only drawback would be the civ-time played : players would rarely see the Middle Ages... But you can't win on everything.

Agree on chess forum to resume. We should think of it together, you know where to find me.

Any other suggestion for such a competition ? Or any deeper thought on akots's ones ?
Old 19-03-2005, 20:48   #15
Shabbaman
Administrator

The ladder seems to be down atm. Propain?
Old 20-03-2005, 00:30   #16
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Well the site seems to work, but the actual ladder is dead as a doornail atm.

If people are interested in reviving it that's ok with me but I really don't have the time to keep it up-to-date so someone else should take over that task. Of course I'm willing to help getting it actualised and to explain how everything works

Any volunteers?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 18:12   #17
Shabbaman
Administrator

No: if I click a link to, for example, player ladder or civ ranking I get an "internal server error". So not only the ladder is dead, but the site as well.