Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 15-09-2008, 20:19   #91
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I'm only up to 1000BC playing as Catherine (just took Civil Service from Oracle) but it seems that Domination can be achieved with Cuirassiers or may be still Cavalry is required. Both are pretty good against longbowmen and even pikemen with anti-melee promotion and musketmen or riflemen might still be ages away from AI. The problem is of course huge distance and might be that researching railroad will speed the things up (10 movement against 6 movement). Another high priority for score is Biology which can be apparently taken by Liberalism. But this is all wishful thinking of course. So, tech path will be to Education then Nationalism, Gunpowder, Chemistry, and Scientific Method. I'm thinking of ignoring Feudalism-Guilds part of tech tree and the only upper tech needed is Music to get Military Tradition and Artist for second Golden Age.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:42   #92
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Just finished my first attempt, 34515 points as China No surprise - I did e.g. not know that tech trading is off, so I played a LOT of nonsense early on.

Old 16-09-2008, 09:20   #93
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I'm sure Darkness can top me if he plays Egypt or China.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. Yours is a pretty good score, so I'm not sure I could beat it if I tried.

I'll probably not try though: I've playing the original Colonization yesterday, and I think it's a fair assessment to say that I'm hooked again.
That should give me something to do until the new Colonization comes out next week.
Old 20-09-2008, 20:34   #94
IanDC
Chieftain

Vikings - Domination - 1832AD - 69732

92.75KB
IanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 20:39   #95
IanDC
Chieftain

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

I'll probably not try though: I've playing the original Colonization yesterday, and I think it's a fair assessment to say that I'm hooked again.
That should give me something to do until the new Colonization comes out next week.
I liked the old Colonization - only flaw was you couldn't stay loyal, or switch to the crown forces when the time came. Would be fun to build up a powerful colony & then defeat them with weak Crown forces
IanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 17:36   #96
Matrix
Administrator

So much for my top score. It lasted for five days.

But nice result! Only five opponents left. [] And I haven't seen such a strong Khmer previously.
Old 27-09-2008, 09:24   #97
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I've finally finished my Russian game with Catherine. Must admit, it would have been OK with a non-imperialistic leader since I've build not more than 10 cities myself. Result is not best but quite OK, considering I'm out of single-player practice for about a year in BTS. IMO, a score of about 200,000 might be possible on this map.

A few notes. It seems, that going all-out conquest before State Property is quite a bad idea since income from pillaging cities is barely enough to cover the maintenance. In the end, tanks were not needed but were nice to have since a couple of AIs had grenadiers and cossacks could not handle grenadiers well unless at a numerical advantage of 2.5 : 1. Cuirassiers are very much OK against longbowmen but not of protective leaders. In this case, cossacks are required. Railroad greatly helped to speed the things up during the later stages of the game but not required IMO.

AIs were actually quite OK for a noble level.

The big help was Great Wall and a great spy and because of this I was able to steal about a dozen low level techs from Vikings including Monarchy and iirc Feudalism. Then, I captured all Ragnar's continental cities and he quietly lived to the end of game in Britain-Ireland. That stealing saved me about 20-25 turns of essential research in the beginning.

Pyramids are a must have and completely eliminate any need for cottages while everything can just me farmed. I spent all game since they were built in Representation. Biology was extremely helpful and was taken with Liberalism. Mausoleum is also an important wonder and I had 4 Golden Ages for a total of 48 turn which greatly help with initial conquests.

109.72*KB

11.4*KB
Old 27-09-2008, 14:38   #98
Robi D
King

Wow.

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 12:37   #99
Darkness

Very impressive, akots!
Old 28-09-2008, 17:03   #100
Matrix
Administrator

Quite so. []

The score list has been updated. Beam is strongly disadvantaged now because he and akots only played as Russia. That's the flaw in this system: they actually can't really be put in the ranking, because there's no link between them and the rest of us. I'll see if I can find a scoring system that will give them automatically the rightful seperate status.

In any case, I've been changed it so already that I'm not calculating with the real scores, but with the square roots of the scores for better comparison.