Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 06-02-2005, 01:26   #21
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Are you fucking kidding me, ONE horse?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:44   #22
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Are you fucking kidding me, ONE horse?
Not kidding you, so what ? This is the beginning of the game, how do you think we can send dozens of panzers to each other ? And in my book, one horsie is enough to do damage, which I don't want. All the more when the said horsie was a free unit we got on turn 0, and when we know we're gonna use hundreds of units in the game (Kingreno's mod). So cost = nearly zero, result = huge.

If you think that I could have let him attack me, then what would have happened if he captured my nearest city ? I've been unlucky when I killed his horsie (I lost one too), and could have been unlucky in an attack against my city. All the more as we have an average military (ie. very few units). I don't want to play with my cities. And what could have happened if he had sent not one, but three or four of them ?

The rest is still in question for me.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:38   #23
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov
... Because when you play a game where you're locked at war with someone (like in RoR), you never get war weariness nor happiness ? It could be worth it, though there would be no more deal ever between humans in this kind of games. ...
War happiness you don't get but war weariness aplenty.

And why would you want to deal with humans in 1x1 game? They are cruel and sneaky and want to kick your ass asap before you kick theirs. Trade techs with them so that they can kill you faster?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:16   #24
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

War happiness you don't get but war weariness aplenty.
Hmmm, that's because in RoR you don't have governments affected by war weariness... Well, then it would still be nice to test once. I'll try it in my next game.

Quote:
quote:And why would you want to deal with humans in 1x1 game? They are cruel and sneaky and want to kick your ass asap before you kick theirs. Trade techs with them so that they can kill you faster?
Maybe because I'd think that a deal with my human opponent would benefit me more than him. There are plenty of reasons... Or you can ask the question the other way : why would the opponent trade with me ? So that I can kill him faster ? There is a problem of symetry here...

Some points still obscure...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:53   #25
cmota

Hi ppl!! I'm the new ambassador of C3B here... as I've inscribed myself at the forum, I'll try to participate here!

Krys, the war weariness between human players is calculated like a AI-human play. Nothing changes. Don't try to make a war against a human foe in Democracy!!! =P

And people... hehehe, on a game at Demi-God or Sid difficult, will be better to trade techs with human civs too... or the AI will raze you! =P

With no more empty words... Cmota! =)
Old 27-07-2005, 21:47   #26
Socrates
Emperor

I've just found an odd option in the editor, it is called "increase army's strength" (or close to that, this is a translation of mine), and it can be found at the bottom right of the 'improvements & wonders' page. It is toggled on for the Military Academy only, and basically it says that armies' attack and defense values are increased by 25%. Is this true ?

Is it also true that, to compute the armies' attack and defense real values, you add every attack and defense values of the units inside (respectively of course), divide the total by 6, and add the results to the average attack and defense values ? Do both values get down once the army is redlined ?
Old 27-07-2005, 22:05   #27
grahamiam
Emperor

army attack strength = unit strength + (sum of unit strength's/Z)

where Z = 6 normally, but becomes 4 once the Mil Academy is built.

Another weird thing about armies is the way that Civ determines the attacking unit. IIRC, if you put a tank in a 3 unit cav army (after Pentagon is built), and the tank will always be the attacking unit until the army is down below 4hp's. Makes those seemingly obsolete Army's quite useful for a long time. Arathorn wrote something about this @ CFC, I'll see if I can find it.

meanwhile, here's Theoden's article -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=99688
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 23:41   #28
Socrates
Emperor

Thanks. A worthy read, where you get to know that a 4-cav army with the Pentagon and the Military Academy built is a 16hp unit with attack 12 and defense 6 !!! And armies can be rushed... Doh.

Sid, it's not enough. Empower those beasties even more please !
Old 14-08-2005, 09:47   #29
classical_hero
Warlord

I have a question about a happiness issue. Do you have a period of grace WRT to revolt? I was wondering if a city immediately revolts once there are more unhappy citizens than happy citizens. I need to know this because I am the DP for Team MIA aver at the CFC MTDG. I have always assumed that the effect of revolt is immediate.
classical_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005, 11:43   #30
Socrates
Emperor

In SP or MP, a city revolts because of unhappiness only on the following turn. So, for instance, if you set the lux slider on turn 'n' so that a city becomes unhappy, it will revolt on turn 'n+1' (during the IT, really). Can't remember if you get the food, shields and gold during this IT, but it seems not, because at the opposite, I'm pretty sure you get them on the IT when a city stops revolting.