Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 13-01-2006, 00:19   #1
Matrix
Administrator

Default The Ultimate CDZ game!

Pitboss is out. I suspect there will come a version where you can minimize a Pitboss game to the tray bar and have it running continuously practically forever. That would give a wonderful opportunity for me to present: The Ultimate CDZ game!

The basic idea: to play with 18 humans (the maximum).
Why would that be possible? Because of three options:
1. You can set a timer. I'd suggest 12 hours. This means that you need two moments a day to be available to play, and most of us have that: before going to work and coming back home.
2. The AI can take over an empire. If you can't find a replacement you can let the AI play for you instead.
3. You can receive an e-mail when it's your turn.

The game will still progress very slowly. It'll be most important that you give it high priority to play a.s.a.p. once you know it's your turn. Besides that we also have the option of playing a 'quick' game instead of a normal one (or epic / marathon).

The game is running!
[u]Settings</u>
Simultaneous moves, 24h time limit
Standard size, Continents, Medium sea level, Temperate climate, Noble difficulty
IP address: 82.73.88.51 or matrix.kicks-ass.org

[u]Players</u>
1. Matrix: Gandhi (India)
2. Unclaimed: Kublai Khan (Mongolia)
3. Unclaimed: Mansa Musa (Mali)
4. Unclaimed: Catherine (Russia)
5. Unclaimed: Hatshepsut (Egypt)
6. Unclaimed: Tokugawa (Japan)
7. Unclaimed: Saladin (Arabia)
Old 13-01-2006, 01:02   #2
romeothemonk
King

hmm. I only have Dial-up so I am not sure that I could be in Pitboss all the time.

I would be intrigued!! I would need many more details on how this would work, but I'll subscribe as interested.
Old 13-01-2006, 01:20   #3
Matrix
Administrator

You don't have to be in Pitboss all the time. Just the host. A player can log in and out at any time.

This is the procedure: someone will start a Pitboss game. Then all players can at any time log on, just like joining a random MP game. You then pick the leader you reserved for yourself, you will be asked to enter a password and you're in the game. If it's not your turn - the sequence it determined by the host when starting a game, not by order of logins - you can give orders, but nothing will happen until it's your turn, similar to giving a unit an order when it has no movement left that turn.

Once logged in you can change your civ name ([u]not</u> your leader name, so make sure you log in with your own nickname at the very beginning!), and most importantly: your e-mail address! Once the game is up and running the game will send an e-mail to the next player if he has filled in his e-mail address.
Old 13-01-2006, 01:49   #4
bed_head7

I would be interested. I do not have any preference on leader at the moment. I played in a few SGs and a few solo games, but then finals came and after they were done I was more interested in other things in the first couple weeks of break and unable to play for the last week and a half or so, meaning I have not played more than a few SG turnsets since November.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 09:59   #5
Matrix
Administrator

Sure, take your time. But if this is going to work, note that the longer you wait, the less choice you have.

I thought of a better plan: simultaneous moves. Then we'll all have e.g. 24 hours to play, and we know for sure then that we'll be playing at a rate of at least one turn a day. Note that you manually can still play turn based of necessary: once you are at war you just let the player below you in the bottomright list play first.

I've started with a 'quick' game on a huge map, and am curious what age I'll be in when I have explored nearly the whole world. Otherwise, how much will be revealed by discovering Satellites.
Old 13-01-2006, 13:17   #6
Tubby Rower

I'm interested, but what happens on those inevitable days when we couldn't play? Does the AI play our turn for us?
Old 13-01-2006, 15:25   #7
Matrix
Administrator

If you ask the admin to make it so. Otherwise you just skip a turn (although research and production just continues).
Old 13-01-2006, 15:52   #8
barbu1977
Emperor

I'd like to give it a try.
Old 13-01-2006, 16:09   #9
Kemal

I'd love to play too... but I suppose you all know by now what the problem is with me playing MP civ4. Feel free to start without me if I haven't got a copy yet when this starts.
Old 13-01-2006, 18:58   #10
Whomp
King

I would be interested but maybe I could team up with Tubby so we can keep the pace moving. Romans?