Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 11-07-2005, 15:07   #1
Socrates
Emperor

Default World Cup Civ4 game !

Ahem. I'm bored as hell (<s>on holiday</s> unemployed), so I want to throw in this idea. Since I only really feel nationalistic when I drink a beer in front of a football match, I'd like this (gentle) nationalistic feeling to be part of the Civ experience. So :

What about a PBEM ala Markstar with many teams, where each team is represented by a bunch of guys from one country ? I know the nationalities aren't evenly represented at CDZ, but we could work around it (ie. have 2 or 3 Dutch teams ). Since I don't want to do it now, and since Civ 4 is nearing completion, and since there is no World Cup before next June, I propose it to start next year. That way we'll have a few months to get used to Civ 4. Only one thing : everyone would be entailed to have merguez and beer while playing (not to mention the obvious slang we throw at other people) !!

Errr... this is just an idea.
Old 11-07-2005, 15:15   #2
digger760
King

sounds like a good idea. I am almost certain they will not include an "Australian" civ but i could go for the Celt, if they are still in it, since i live in Ireland.

I read about a 3x3x3 mulitplayer game in some preview somewhere so would seem they up'd the muliplayer limit a bit. With so many people in a PBEM it might not be possible to get a decent turn rate. But perhaps peoples enthusiasam of the new version, might encourage turn rate for the 1st 6 months or so.

Then again, Civ4 has to get our general approval yet.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 15:29   #3
Rik Meleet

I am Iroquois by birth.
Old 11-07-2005, 15:54   #4
romeothemonk
King

Put me down for this. This is a good idea.
Nationalistic teams? Brilliant!
I could go for the Americans, also be German or Celts or English (heritage to way back in the day)
Old 11-07-2005, 16:58   #5
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Irish (Celts would be the appropriate civ) heritage, American currently.

America's traits suck though... on the other hand, you Dutchmen..
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 18:06   #6
Socrates
Emperor

Cool ! A little precision though : what I meant by national teams is not regarding the civs, but the team memebers' nationalities. For example, we could have a 1v1 PBEM featuring the Netherlands and England, where the Netherlands would be Kemal + Eldakkar + Matrix, and England would be anarres + DrA + Meli. But each team could use any civ they want.

But the nationality in the civ could even be better, and so an even better idea would be to mod the game so that each civ is the same (same traits and all), but only different by name (France, England, Germany...). Or even better : tweak the civs according to their respective level in football !! I'd suggest we played in year 2000 then ! This or I am Greek.

Someone to bring the merguez and the beer ?
Old 11-07-2005, 19:08   #7
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Ah, I get it...
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 19:08   #8
Matrix
Administrator

I think it's a really neat idea! Best thing to do is let people post what civ they'd like to be in, and let them shift after we see the big picture.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

I am Iroquois by birth.
Old 11-07-2005, 19:14   #9
barbu1977
Emperor

Since we do not know the traits of each civ in civ IV, why not pick the civ right away? Some will be happy, some less happy when the game will come out.

EDIT: X-posted
Old 11-07-2005, 19:20   #10
romeothemonk
King

I will happily play whatever I am given to the bitter end. I doubt that even a situation like being given portugal on a pangea next to Kemal's Sumeria and Anarres Iro's, and Akots Aztecs would suck that bad, as no one really would know what they are doing yet.
That being said, I will probably get slaughtered in my first few civ4 experiences, but will gladly learn all I can.