Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Shabbaman's Forum
Home

Old 15-11-2012, 23:59   #31
Shabbaman
Administrator

Norway and Denmark were pretty large at the start, but I let Sweden have too much fun.
Old 24-11-2012, 16:04   #32
Shabbaman
Administrator

That'll teach them.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:33   #33
Shabbaman
Administrator

As I was bored and I had a colonialism CB against Castille, I decided it was time again to make sure my southern border remains safe. My original plan was to conquer Aragon (out of spite), but I don't have a CB and they didn't honor their alliance with Baden. In other words, I decided to declare war on Castille. My specific war goal is Murcia. One of the reasons I want Murcia is that it's a coastal city, and I need docks to raise my naval forcelimits; I have many colonies, so I need a large fleet to keep the tariff efficiency up.

Castille won't give access to my vassals, so they're stuck in Granada (my loyal vassal). So, off we go. Castille has some 20k troops, and I make sure I destroy them completely. I make them release the Maya's as a sovereign state, and I keep Murcia. Castille split in half, and I have their mediterranean coastline... plus a corridor to my loyal vassal Granada. I've also kept Salamanca, as I figured that conquering manufactories is a valid tactic.

What you can see in above picture is that the vultures are already picking at Castille's body. The Papal State decided it needs some provinces in Hiberia, apparently.

Three things happen:
-my king dies, and his successor is a moron;
-upon death of Charles the umpteenth and because of excommunication, Baden decides it wants freedom
-I get a random event that makes me lose 6 infamy

Of course my new king gets excommunicated again. This is getting tiresome... anyway, I declare war on Baden with the restore union CB. Somehow I can't restore the union in the peace declaration, so I annex them instead. And that was the last time the world has heard anything of Baden.

Unfortunately Baden gets aided by... the papal states. This way I'll never be able to get some papal influence... oh well. I get Modena out of it, because of the valid "your manufactory is now mine" tactic. Of course, when you're down the vultures are sure to get you, so Naples and Siena take over the pope's lands.

Luckily the moron king didn't live long, and the new king is gifted. My goals for the near future:
-build level 5 improvements: I can build colleges now, and I want 20 of them so I'll get 1 additional spy and magistrate each year. I'm building mints in the few top grossing provinces (those that have CoT's) and post offices in the others. Undecided about naval arsenals.
-settle the west coast of North America: I can do this because I'll soon get a core on mexican west-coast provinces.
-annex some vassals: I have a mission that'll grant me a level 4 artist, so I can take the stability hit
-see if I can be papal controller

I've added the world map and the vassal map for 1598. Funny thing about the world map: Sweden and Moscow are huge, but they have poor provinces. Bohemia is stomping Austria, but Austria doesn't care and just expands into the Balkan. Bohemia is cut in half by Ukraine (thankfully).
Attached Images
File Type: png EU3_MAP_FRA_1598.6.17_1.png (494.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png EU3_MAP_FRA_1598.6.17_2.png (420.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 21-12-2012, 19:55   #34
Shabbaman
Administrator

So I got this mission:

Seems fun, right? It's even better, one of the rewards is the loss of 3 infamy One of the benefits of good relations with the Pope. The game isn't completely transparent in what you can expect of a mission. From what the message says you'd expect to get an infamy discount on capturing Napeolitan land, but that's not the case. Unfortunately, because I would've liked to get the university in Ancona. I liberated Urbino instead (for the umpteenth time), let's see if I can convince them to be my vassal.

I did get Ferrara's university though. It was conquered by the Ottomans, and with the cheap holy war CB I couldn't resist annexing it.
Old 31-12-2012, 12:59   #35
Shabbaman
Administrator

Okay, just a heads up. After I researched government tech 27 I switched to absolute monarchy (one of the things that could make this game better would be a tech tree instead of tech branches, and less generic names than "government tech 27"... why not just Absolute Monarchy instead? Paradox... ). I hesitated, because Empire sounds more fun, but after comparing the two government forms I decided it was a strict upgrade.

And suddenly:

That's pretty sweet, as the game was getting boring. So, when Tirol decides to troll me with spies, I declare war at once. I could go with the discovered spy CB, but I go with imperialism instead. I could annex Tirol's three provinces (for only 6 infamy), but I'm not sure yet if I want to expand into central Europe. OTOH, why not? The few provinces in Italy are worth it (some have universities), but half of Italy is my vassal already anyway. One of the benefits of expanding east is easy access to Austria. Austria is getting too big, they're even grabbing north african provinces now. Luckily everyone and their mothers are coming to Tirol's aid (must be the hubschen maedel).

So, short term goals: make Austria release some nations. I wish I could give provinces to my vassals (although I noticed that I am now able to demand unoccupied provinces that have a vassal core... but not with discounted infamy (and I get the infamy, not the vassal) I really wish there'd be missions for this).

Long term goals: own Italy and the Hiberian peninsula. Or just Europe.
Attached Images
File Type: png EU3_MAP_FRA_1608.1.27_1.png (422.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59   #36
Shabbaman
Administrator

Minor update. Something isn't quite right with my net connection at home. It might keep me from spamming, but it doesn't keep me from playing EU3. Lack of time does though

The fifth Tirolean Attempt To Annoy France has come to an end. I annexed Tirol (reduced infamy from the imperialism CB YEAH BABY), I completed a mission by forcing Catholicism on Bavaria, freed the Bavarian vassals, and made sure Austria will have a hard time getting back on it's feet:

Released nations always are your ally automatically, so I should have a decent ally with Bosnia cutting Austria in half. I have a Purging of Heresy CB against Styria (because of Unam Sanctum, if I knew Colonialism CB was coming up I wouldn't have picked that national idea) which consists of Linz, Lienz and Karnten. I think I'll take those provinces quickly, then I can station troops close to the Austrian and Bohemian capitals.

After completing the forced religion mission against Bavaria, I got the same mission against Hainaut. Hainaut is my vassal though, I'm not sure if it's worth the infamy points to release them and declare war on them. I doubt I can finish the mission successfully if I annex them. The mission against Bavaria made me lose two infamy, I assume this mission has the same benefit.