Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 15-01-2011, 22:13   #11
Furiey
King

Civ 4 runs fine on my Win 7 x64, installed from all the discs and patched. It is installed on an admin account in the default location, all installs and patches done by right clicking and run as administrator. I also had to install the latest directx 9c from microsoft.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 22:18   #12
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiey View Post
Civ 4 runs fine on my Win 7 x64, installed from all the discs and patched. It is installed on an admin account in the default location, all installs and patches done by right clicking and run as administrator. I also had to install the latest directx 9c from microsoft.
that's all there, and it runs, but I have no sound options (the tab is empty) and no "other" options either
Old 16-01-2011, 04:18   #13
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Instead of Buffy, you might try to install HOF mod (which includes most of Buffy and is essentially glitch-free in its latest version) and certainly BtS since if you don't have BtS, there might be problems. I've installed it in the roaming profile as admin so that it is not installed for other users (children must study and not play addictive games) under W7 64 bit. You need admin priviledges to install and to run, just turn annoying UAC off completely and everything starts running with admin priviledges. Also, if your version is not German but the folder with MyDocuments contains special symbols, there might be more problems or not, hard to tell. Also, mods have to be in the appropriate Mod directory of Civ4, not in the MyDocuments subdirectory which should optimally be empty apart from save files and config files. Otherwise, it should work with proper DirectX and video drivers. DirectX which comes with the BtS disk is fine, no problems. Or, as Furey noted, you can download latest version at any time. W7 will keep all versions of all drivers and all system files for you and will execute them as needed.

Finally, it might be worth trying to run in WinXP sp2 compatibility mode again strictly as admin. Or if full screen does not work, try windowed mode and vice versa.

In my case with the laptop, it did not want to run with NVidia processor but instead tried to repeatedly utilize Intel video under which it cannot even start properly (most of the screen is black) due to some problems with resolution since it needs to have at least 800 vertical whereas the laptop has 768 vertical. But under NVidia, it somehow scales up to full screen mode. Windowed mode is still crooked and needs virtual desktop expansion to be able to scroll.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:35   #14
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

akots, that's a bunch of tip I'll try Thank you very much!
Old 31-01-2011, 23:47   #15
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

it took some playing around, but I found a way to get what I wanted. Apparently, the auto patch install for CIV included on the BtS CD failed to make a proper install. Once I installed CIV, patched manually, then installed BtS, all was fine.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:41   #16
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

nice one
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19   #17
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

I'll keep that in mind, might reinstall Civ 4 as long as Civ 5 is piss poor.
Old 01-02-2011, 23:50   #18
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

remember to fully patch BtS as well before adding any mods (and I must say, once I played a BUFFY game I can't go back to playing without BUFFY).