Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Aggie's forum
Home

Old 10-06-2004, 10:27   #21
anarres
anarchist butcher

Nice - the AI is helping!
Old 10-06-2004, 13:46   #22
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Look at the position of Carthage: resource denial for dummies.
Old 10-06-2004, 13:51   #23
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 173: I get Theology and Engineering from the Library and Krys still has NO MA tech.

Turn 174: Well, Krys got Hadrumetum back...

Turn 177: I get Chivalry for free, but no horses yet!

Scandinavia gives me 19 gpt and 14 gold fro an Aliance vs Carthage. My neighbours Korea and Spain agree to allie for Theology and 19 gpt.

8 MDI's landed near Hippo and Leptis Minor. 24 others are ready to land next to Carthage next turn.
Old 10-06-2004, 14:30   #24
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 178:

I get Invention from the Great Library

I need two MDI's for Hippo and three for Leptis Minor. Both had one NumMerc. I now landed near Leptis Magna and Carthage. 14 MDI's near the capital and 6 near empty Leptis. Other troops sail north and south:

Krys tells me that I made him brake a trade deal after razing Hippo.

Old 10-06-2004, 14:57   #25
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Sounds like:

Turn 18n:

Game over.

Well played Aggie!
Old 10-06-2004, 15:15   #26
Aggie
Emperor

Krys conceded.

This was a very nice map and I loved playing it. I especially like the fact that an AI sneak attack can be killing. You simply can't neglect your defenses. The other good thing about it (imho) is the fact the the AI cities are almost impossible to take. A LOT of units in there, especially the capitals, making things tougher and make the AI more powerful vs the human here.

But there are also things I found less appealing about such a game. The AI produces too many units, because they run out of things to build in the beginning (before galleys). That means that they go bankrupt and slow the tech pace to turtle speed. We were at turn 180 and only at the start of the MA!

Another issue is the strength of the Lighthouse. My 5 movement galleys, able to sail the seas were uber units on this map.
Old 10-06-2004, 15:42   #27
Aggie
Emperor

Only now do I notice that Krys did a 100% science run on Republic! How stupid to think that he did min science []
Old 10-06-2004, 16:11   #28
Socrates
Emperor

I don't understand why you stole Republic to me ? (BTW, I didn't know you did such a thing !) Couldn't you have waited for next turn, with the Great Library ? I can't see why you wanted it that turn ? Since I said I wouldn't sell it around... Didn't you lose a lot of money just for 1 or 2 turns ?

BTW, I really think you were able to settle that fast because you went for 4 cities on the starting island. I didn't want to do that ; hadn't I gone for the Lighthouse, I would have built all the available improvement in Carthage instead, and then would have been able to produce settlers a little sooner, and maybe have a shot at those wonders.

I'm sorry for those who waited so long to eventually see no action from my side. As already said, I was struggling with the Vikings, and they had many, many units. This is Deity, and even India (who was stucked with 2 cities for the whole game, due to a state of war with Aggie) had an average army compared to mine (and I have numidian mercenaries : 2/3/1 !!!). It would have taken dozens of units to capture the Viking homeland, and they were not far from their berserkers... Even with 20 more turns for me to prepare, I think Aggie would have won with the same stack.
Old 10-06-2004, 16:22   #29
Aggie
Emperor

Krys, I stole Republic (a prefectly normal action in civ - and I would only tell if I had failed) because I was afraid that you wouldn't sell and that would mean 12 turns of waiting for it. And I did get a nice bonus from the AI, so in fact I only payed 500 gold. I had a lot of money that I couldn't use in despotism anyway. It was a hasty and maybe stupid move, but I made more. Luckily they were minor.
Old 10-06-2004, 16:28   #30
Socrates
Emperor

Oh yes of course. I don't know why, but I just forgot that I was the 1st (yes) to get Republic. I understand now : no AI to give it to you freely. And yes, I went at maximum science, and used and built libraries for that purpose (that and gaining some tiles).