Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 18-05-2012, 08:53   #11
grs
The Nameless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
That is a very clear statement. I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop and completely second this line of thinking when it comes to movies. These are expected to be a one-shot thing, you watch and forget that thing existed ever forever. But that would be 7-9 dollars.

I still expect something better for 60 bucks.
This belongs into the "I would like it to be a different game" category I mentioned above. People like different things. D3 delivers to be a Diablo game, which always was a low skill, low strategy, lots of casual hack and slash type. I like it
Old 18-05-2012, 10:16   #12
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Uh-oh, I think you severely underestimate the popularity of WC3. That is a very popular game even now.
I didnt say it wasn't popular, I just said

- D3 is a different genre than WC3, so imo they dont compare well
- WC3 never reached the popularity SC did.
- I think some WC3 mods will be more remembered than the game itself.

Still all true imo

Quote:
That is a very clear statement. I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop and completely second this line of thinking when it comes to movies. These are expected to be a one-shot thing, you watch and forget that thing existed ever forever. But that would be 7-9 dollars.

I still expect something better for 60 bucks.
Totally agree with GRS here. So you don't like it, that's fine but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just caters to another public. It's the same with WC3. I didn't like it that much but I'm not claiming it's a bad game. And I'm not ROFL'ing cause other people do like it.

Apart from the fact that I think 60 dollars for a game is ridiculous in general, I dont think complexity is the determining factor here. At least not for me, I feel a game needs to warrant it's price in total playtime and replayablilty. In the past Blizzard hasn't disappointed in that respect, apart from WC3, I got a lot of mileage out of my Bliz games. Civ V has been a great disappointment in this regard. Spent 70 euro's on that in total, rarely gets played.

The general price tag of games has dropped a lot when digital distribution made it easier to get your game published. The iPhone & appstore have also contributed to a different perception of fair pricing of games. For me a 40-50$ price was normal up to a few years ago, now I'm way more critical. The games I had most fun with recently all were a lot cheaper than $50/60 but weren't less fun. SC2 being the exception here, worth every dime I paid for it.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 22:45   #13
Shabbaman
Administrator

Just played civ5, still worth every penny.
Old 19-05-2012, 06:26   #14
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
... Totally agree with GRS here. So you don't like it, that's fine but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just caters to another public. It's the same with WC3. I didn't like it that much but I'm not claiming it's a bad game. And I'm not ROFL'ing cause other people do like it. ...
I hear you both, PP and grs. And still contemplating but unless children want it specifically, I'm not going to get it since they showed little interest towards SC3, which I did not buy either. Also, I don't like buying stuff in-game with real money.
Old 19-05-2012, 09:02   #15
ProPain

Quote:
Also, I don't like buying stuff in-game with real money.
This worries me as well. I for one will not pay real money for ingame items as a matter of principal, but I'm not so sure about the effeect it will have on the game in general. The real money AH isnt open yet but I fear once it does it will be the starting sign for the farmer industry to start spamming the game.
Old 19-05-2012, 10:28   #16
grs
The Nameless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
This worries me as well. I for one will not pay real money for ingame items as a matter of principal, but I'm not so sure about the effeect it will have on the game in general. The real money AH isnt open yet but I fear once it does it will be the starting sign for the farmer industry to start spamming the game.
Garee, especilly for a full price product. I spent about 10,- € on ingame stuff (mostly rune pages) for LoL, but that is a free to play game and now I have what I want, so I essentially payed 10,- € on the game.

I am not really worried though, because I plan to play the game with people I know and if others want to spend their money buying stuff, it will have zero impact on me I assume.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:37   #17
Kingreno

I got to play D3 for quite a few hours last days. As always there some plusses and some minusses but in the end I think it is a good game, that mat become a great game.

As for the Auction House. Not too worried about that either. I don't like PvP anyways and if someone is in a game with obvious Übergear I just quit and join an other.
Old 23-05-2012, 12:24   #18
ProPain

it's not so much the ubergear that worries me,it's the farmers and farmer spam this is gonna incite. In WoW this was rampant. Farmers messaging you constantly to buy their gold. The new real money AH makes selling legal which will increase the farming I suspect.

The one good thing is that items in D3 generally arent Bind on Equip as they are in WoW. As a consequence items will become less and less scarce as time progresses and thus less interesting to sell. That should disencourage the farmers I guess. Also positive, you cannot message spam an entire server with a bot in D3 as you can in WoW. If you make games private you're sure you'll be left alone.

My thoughts: if you plan on selling anything for real money on the AH: do it asap to benefit of the relative scarcity of all items. Play with friends in private games as much as you can to avoid the spammers.

Personally I;m already so far behind on the leveling curve that I don't have anything decent to sell, I guess I cant quit the day job to become a pro D3 player