Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 30-09-2009, 01:22   #111
Matrix
Administrator

I think it's sufficient to disallow razing after an amphibious attack, as barbu1977 suggested. Attacking from sea gives you so many targets at the same time, that's the only problem I have with city razing. You just can't defend yourself against that (as I have proven in the last pitboss on Earth, against Darkness and IanDC).
Old 30-09-2009, 03:41   #112
Robi D
King

If we don't have barbs on then their isn't an issue with their city placement.

As Stapel said earlier in the previous game with city razing off it added a bit more strategy to warfare since you could not just raze a city and move on to the next one.

Also Stapel took out three of us in the last game, if city placement had been an issue i'm sure he would be against city razing being off. Since he isn't i'm assuming he was happy with the cities he got.

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 08:20   #113
Azza
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I think it's sufficient to disallow razing after an amphibious attack, as barbu1977 suggested. Attacking from sea gives you so many targets at the same time, that's the only problem I have with city razing. You just can't defend yourself against that (as I have proven in the last pitboss on Earth, against Darkness and IanDC).
I think that's definitely the most important reason for having a rule against city razing.
Azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:52   #114
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
And then what? Allow Amphibious attacks until one unit is left? People will find ways to work around any rules. I think we should keep things simple: either allow, or don't allow it.

The way I see it, disallowing city razing gives some very good extra options to the strategies we pick.
However, if this is going to be a 16 player map, not being able to burn cities might be a bit daft. That's, imho, the choice we have to make.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:48   #115
NHJ
Chieftain

I think I like the extra deterrent of people not exterminating me because they have to pay for my cities

And naval attacks can probably be countered by a navy of your own, can it not? Or, at least by having enough ships that you can at least spot the invasion fleet and move additional troops to the city where it is going, before it gets there. Naval invasions appear to be the price you pay for not having a sufficient navy of your own.

But then again, I don't have much experience with late-game multiplayer. But I would rather have a clear rule of razing either on or off, none of this in-between stuff like a maximum city level where razing is allowed, because that complicates things way too much.
Old 30-09-2009, 11:50   #116
Azza
Chieftain

It's almost impossible to stop a foreign navy transporting enough troops to raze a coastal city.

EG, I build 20 galleons. Lets say that you've invested considerably in your navy, and have 30 frigates. However, it's likely that you have multiple sea routes to your civ, so only half of your frigates can stop the galleons before they reach their destination. That's 15 units on the 5 remaining galleons that can still be used to raze a key city.
Azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:01   #117
Matrix
Administrator

Well, I'm fine with no city razing at all. I just wanted to extend a hand to those opposed to it.
Old 30-09-2009, 17:36   #118
NHJ
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post
It's almost impossible to stop a foreign navy transporting enough troops to raze a coastal city.

EG, I build 20 galleons. Lets say that you've invested considerably in your navy, and have 30 frigates. However, it's likely that you have multiple sea routes to your civ, so only half of your frigates can stop the galleons before they reach their destination. That's 15 units on the 5 remaining galleons that can still be used to raze a key city.
But the hammers needed to build 20 galleons full of units is probably enough for a very sizeable land war as well. If someone is investing that much production to a single strategy, isn't it kind of normal that they would accomplish their goal? It doesn't seem to be worse than an opponent building a large cavalry army when you share a long land border with him.

Anyway, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here; I'm fine with either option.
Old 30-09-2009, 17:53   #119
Wosret
Chieftain

@Shabba: thanks for the explanation ^^

About city razing:

I prefer razing cities as a simple option, but it could be cool to have an off game agreement about it. At least I wouldn`t mind if its off.

One asked some posts ago... will civs be random? O_o.
Wosret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 19:24   #120
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosret View Post
One asked some posts ago... will civs be random? O_o.
Well, why not? Or possibly all play with the same treats?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote