Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 25-12-2004, 13:55   #1
Kingreno

Default Alexander. The Movie.

We went to Alexander yesterday and I must say I am very disappointed. It takes 170 minutes, in which the "charismatic" Alexander is followed from birth to death.
It begins in Macedon where Alexander and his father and mother are the main characters (the acting in general sucks). It jumps 8 years to boyhood and then 8 years again. All this time historicly important things are more or less neglected. From the citystates of Greece it goes "poof" to the main battle with Darius.
The strategic importance of some units is explained, but not detailed. The general overview of 40k Greeks VS 250k persians could have been impressive were it not for a sandstorm at the scene making everything rather vague.
The path to glory which we know of Alexander has another rather unexpected twist in the movie. Alexander is strugling with his sexual identity! He is probably gay and there are a lot of young men around him that are openly gay, though in that time hugging and kissing had different meanings then it does today (in the west, in the middle east for example men hold hands everywhere.). In this movie they try to work towards an answer for Alexanders struggle but the depth of character fails miserably in providing one. I still do not know what Alexander really wanted.
The political impact of Alexander recieves close to no attention at all. The fact that he owned such a huge empire with such new tactics on the the battlefield. Nothing. All in all the "heroic" Alexander was, according to the movie, not so heroic at all.

The good things:
- We saw 2 ancient great wonders! The great Lighthouse and the Hanging gardens!
- A LOT of things of Civ were in the movie. Immortals, War Elephants, Phalanx...
- Alexanders "Barbarian" Wife (naked).

Old 25-12-2004, 14:16   #2
ERIKK

Well, I don't expect a block buster action movie but more..., an Oliver Stone movie!

I am gonna see it soon and am pretty sure I will love it. I was pleased the Americans hated it!

Not a dumb ass popcorn movie, great!
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2004, 14:33   #3
Plux
King

NOT a dumbass popcorn movie?? Looking at the poster I would've definitely thought it was (like Troy), and also KR's report doesn't sound that promising. Maybe trying to be different, but not delivering..

But I might go see it just for the naked barberiana
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2004, 14:42   #4
Kingreno

It is definately a dumbass production movie. But remove the special effects and historical (more or less) accurate timeline of troy.

The Barbariana is worth it though.
Old 25-12-2004, 23:13   #5
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There is a single thought is this movie and delivered rather well. It is more or less the Oliver Stone's type of movie very similar to other biographic movies. I find a special similarity with "Doors". Don't expect too much from it but definitely a must see for kids and civvers. If someone expects some deep insight into politics or military, this is wrong expectation. But it is not boring and I was not even yawning while sitting in the theater (unlike "Troy").

Old 27-12-2004, 20:00   #6
Darkness

saw it today, and although KR is right and Alexander's great political impact is indeed largely ignored I still thought it was a good movie. I especially liked the fact that he wasn't displayed as a perfect man/hero, which is one of the things I dislike very much and which is usually how American movies display heroes of the past.
Old 27-12-2004, 20:08   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

Obviously it isn't a true american hero...
Old 27-12-2004, 23:41   #8
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Yeah, like Mel Gibson in the Patriot.

Mel isnt american though...
Old 28-12-2004, 10:54   #9
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Mel Gibson is gay???????

Old 28-12-2004, 18:15   #10
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Erm. Did I imply that.

Wasnt what I meant though - as I know nothing about his preferences. I meant that he was the "typical american hero"