Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 05-11-2004, 13:41   #121
romeothemonk
King

This year was a bad year for the persians. We traded galleys with the greeks, killed a hoplite at Marathon, but lost 2 immortals and 2 HC's to a swordsman. That was really weird. Also a HC army and 9 HC's are driving for my core. I wasn't expecting a Hey diddle diddle straight up the middle attack. Nice work.
Old 05-11-2004, 13:58   #122
Arghis

hey diddle diddle ?? what does this mean ?

you were talking of double trap, that's a bit what i was planning with my HC. As for Marathon, i understand your disapointment; civ is definitly made for making serious war. personnaly i had already considered Marathon lost even with walls on a hill, and was just expecting it to divert you now.
Old 05-11-2004, 15:31   #123
digger760
King

Hey Diddle Diddle
The cat and the fiddle
The cow jumped over the moon
..forget the next few lines
And the dish ran away with the spoon

Now that i'm a dad..i'll have to learn these versed properly
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 15:34   #124
digger760
King

I guess it describes how well you pulled the wool over his eyes and attack him with ease?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:02   #125
romeothemonk
King

Hey diddle diddle straight up the middle is an American term. In football the simplest run is right up the middle, as is the easiest attack. You really never expect it as it is so simple, but when you get beat by it, it really sucks. The term is often used to describe simple minded attacks, or French Army offensives. Think of this as an education in American Plains vocabulary.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:21   #126
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Yeah, I suppose that would be the unexpected trick in a pbem, since humans obviously are better than the AI when it comes to tactics and strategic positioning of troops
Old 07-11-2004, 09:14   #127
Arghis

"simple minded attacks, or French Army offensives". hmmm, could you be more explicit - give me an example.
Old 07-11-2004, 14:54   #128
romeothemonk
King

In the first counteroffensives of the Great War, France sent over half a million troops in a grand counteroffensive in Northern France. (I forget the exact name of the place). They went strait over the top, and right into the center of the german lines. It caught the Germans by surprise temporarily, but it killed 117,000 Frenchmen in like 2 weeks. Eventual German Casaulties were much lower. And mirroring real life, you lost a Heavy Cav and a Heavy Cav Army. I lost 2 immortals and 2 heavy cavs.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49   #129
romeothemonk
King

In the past turn I was dissapointed to find one of my major cities razed. I thought we were not razing. Oh well. I killed a galley, and I believe 6 HC's for the low low cost of 1 immortal and 1 HC. Plus I will rebuild Arblea, and Arghis is down 1 net city. It also looks like our war might not matter in the long run as akots can win in about 20 turns. (domination) I think he would have trouble with either of our armies.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:01   #130
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

IIRC, we are allowed to raze the cities, we are not allowed to abandon them.

Persia is certainly always wellcome to test our readiness for war, anytime. Though Carthage would prefer to remain a peaceful state, many war elephants are being built and cash-rushed and might be in proper time and place for a battle if there is need. The F3 advisor might be a bit misleading in this case and relying solely on his conclusions about military strength can yield some unclear results.