Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Shabbaman's Forum
Home

Old 03-03-2009, 16:12   #51
Shabbaman
Administrator

My sister used to play Age of Empires in sandbox mode, without opponent.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:14   #52
Socrates
Emperor

It seems that some people (read : girls) take video games a little too seriously...

A nice way to explain the goal of the game :
"You collect as much resource as you can, then you build military men (yes, I said you build them), and then you smash your ex-friends to pieces... but with cards."
Nah, I think the card thing may confuse some.
Old 06-03-2009, 18:09   #53
Shabbaman
Administrator

I'm on holiday next week, so you'll have to spam without me.
Old 30-03-2009, 11:22   #54
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
The last days I've been ill, so I had the time to play Beyond the sword. My second game. A good start, fast expansion: I couldn't do much else because my capital was unproductive, yet surrounded with floodplains, corn and fish. Miracle gro. So I got 5 very good cities, blocking the Celts. Founded confucianism in a city that was 1 tile next to the celtic border (tbh, it's on prince or something, lame). So. Good.

Obviously no copper. 15 hills, no copper. The hills I've scouted? No copper (although the celts have axes, so there must be some in their territory). Beeline for iron working, already got horseback so I was churning out horsemen. Guess what? No iron. Not even close! I found iron 15 tiles away to the NW, grabbed by Carthage, and 15 tiles to the E... 2 tiles south from the southern celtic border. I miss colonies! When I settled there, the celts attacked in 5 turns.

Blegh.

I like a challenge, but when you have to work really hard to get either bronze, iron or horses, why bother? I've ranted about it before, but I'll just do it again. It was the same thing that turned me off in civ3, and I fixed that by playing GOTM maps. Perhaps I'll have to give the scenario's a try. What I don't like about scenario's is that you don't play "civ", but "col" or something. It lacks the epic feel of civilization. I want to beat tanks with spearmen, and then win with a spaceship. Or something like that. I fear I'm done with civ.

The last few days it's been giving me a headache anyway
Hmm. Once again I'm pretty ill. It started with a soar throat for a week, which I soundly ignored. By saturday afternoon I completely collapsed, and apparently I have the flew. Or some other annoying biological infection. The symptoms are: fever, snot, headaches, snot, coughing, snot, sneezing, snot. The downside of a 4 story house is showing now, by the time I'm halfway up I'm completely exhausted. Thought processes have slowed down to a crawl, writing english is, well, challenging.

Between the snot and the coughing the main problem is that I'm utterly bored. So, by tradition, I started to play civ again. This time it's col2. An hour into the game I noticed that once again all my opponents seem to be building all their colonies around me, while most of the map is empty. I haven't completed many games in col2, but I've started a lot of games. It appears to be (at least, it appears to me) that the AI is doing some stupid Infinite Colony Sprawl, while I'm still setting up my initial colony (well, two of them). I have little workers, next to no income (shipping unprocessed cotton and tobacco, as Stapel has shown in Row The Boat) and no military. The English to the north have four, maybe even five colonies (while I have 5 colonists in total...), the Spanish to the south have 3 colonies and a lot of scouts, and they keep hoarding in treasures that seem to come from nowhere.

This game is dumb.
Old 14-05-2009, 14:45   #55
Shabbaman
Administrator

Somewhere along the line I missed the opportunity to pass this along, but today a year ago my gf and I got a registered partnership. Which is (apparently) exactly the same as a marriage, with exactly the same ceremony. I'm not a ceremony guy, and the only reason (for me, that is) to our relationship "officially acknowledged" was a legal one. Here in the netherlands there are three options to arrange this, with the third option a legal contract. Marriage and registered partnership are legally the same, with the only difference being that you'd have to register your kid before birth (probably some christian reasoning behind this). We were quite surprised that this registered partnership required witnesses and whatnot as well, but in the end it was a nice day together with our parents, brothers and sisters and their "mates".

The weather was a lot better a year ago btw.
Old 14-05-2009, 14:59   #56
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Well, happy registered partnership anniversary.

When are the kids coming?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 15:00   #57
Shabbaman
Administrator

They're not here yet, but we have a cat to practice our parenting skills on.
Old 14-05-2009, 15:09   #58
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
They're not here yet, but we have a cat to practice our parenting skills on.
Just remember. Grabbing your kid in the neck to move it through your house isnt considered normal behaviour.l
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 18:05   #59
BCLG100
Deity

congrats on the 'registered partnership'.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 00:01   #60
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Was going to ask for pictures but remembered ther were some posted earlier at some CDZ meeting? Or am I wrong?