Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 29-06-2004, 08:34   #11
Kemal

I would like to participate too, but as said it may require quite some tweaking to get a right balance, especially regarding the civ traits. I do think giving everyone the same traits takes away some of the fun of the game, but obviously some traits are just way more useful than others.
Old 29-06-2004, 09:03   #12
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

I'd be very interested too, but I also understand if you do not want me in the game, krys!
Old 29-06-2004, 09:14   #13
Aggie
Emperor

I'll do my best to make it a fair map and therefore will follow your discussions closely. I agree with Kemal that everything the same makes it less interesting. I also want to warn that a very specific request for a map (like 21 island, everyone their own resource, etc... etc...)takes away from the fun as well. At least imho.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:46   #14
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

The main topic for discussion is what to do with the traits imo. It is quite easy to give all Civs Seafaring as 3rd trait, but that also implies that the Civs with Seafaring out-of-the-box should get a different 3rd trait.

We couldn't do anything about traits of course, then I fear a run on Seafaring civs.
Old 29-06-2004, 12:35   #15
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

I'd be very interested too, but I also understand if you do not want me in the game, krys!
Lol. I don't think anyone knows about it, but Killer and I had a discussion about not playing against each other again, due to out-of-the-game issues (but nothing important !). From my part, I never say "never", and I'm not one of those who stick to stupid decisions. And BTW this game WON'T be my baby nor Beam's, at least once the game has started. It will be CDZ's baby (we will only allow CDZ members here, to ease communications, like in Diplo). So Killer, you're welcome to take part in the game, all the more if you're "very interested". And as I had said, I understood things, and I'm open to changing, and so can play you again in the future if you feel like it (maybe not now, but why not in some months). [discussion closed here]

It looks like our game is going well. I really feel we need to reach an excellent balance in every area. Once the game has started, there will be no way to change anything without losing a lot of time. Since this will be a more or so pelago map, I assume everyone would like to have the seafearing trait. But what to do with seafearing civs ? Would all these changes make the game less interesting ?

People, this topic if for discussion about how to build this game. Use it extensively.
Old 29-06-2004, 13:11   #16
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

krys, thank you very much.
Old 29-06-2004, 14:54   #17
Banzai

About civ choices..
The Vikings will be extremely powerfull in this game, so I vote for banning this civ..
Unless the Viking player wants to play always war with all players

Banzai!
Old 29-06-2004, 15:08   #18
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

I'd say SGLs should stay in - all can get them. But the SoZ sucks too much, so I'd vote to take it ou. Also, Viks are extremely powerfull indeed, and I second Banzais move to ban them. In human hands they are such an über-civ that they unbalance the game.
Old 30-06-2004, 13:18   #19
Socrates
Emperor

Well, as for SGL's, I really don't know ; I don't mind at all if they stay in, because they are part of scientific civs' benefits, and maybe in a game with no AI it can make the tech pace pretty intense, as every new tech acquired will generate a RNG number for a SGL. So the tech pace could be really important, and you might not want to go for 50-turn gambits all the time (even if the tech pace will be slower than with AIs in the beginning), nor wait for other players to discover techs. I'd like input from players who have already played such C3C games.

As or the SoZ, I don't mind too, the only thing is that having ivory is a real game-breaker ; so ivory should be available to everyone (maybe spread 8 ivory luxuries in the 8 regions, at equal distances from the starting positions (either close or far away), or maybe just put 4 ivory luxuries, in the middle of 4 super-regions combining 2 civs ).

As for traits, well I don't know how many we will eventually be (4 to 8). But, if we're 7 players (why not ?), then we could all agree on being one of the 7 seafearing civs, so that we don't have to choose a 3rd trait for our civs. If we are 8 players, then I believe someone would have to be a non-seafearing civ, but we could think about it and tweak something.

That leads me to this : we should now be sure of how many players we are for this game. No need to delay things any further. From what I read in this topic, people who are motivated for this game (and I hope you REALLY are motivated, this is a game that will last for months and maybe years ?) :
1. kryszcztov
2. Beam
3. Arghis
4. anarres
5. akots
6. Banzai
7. Kemal
8. Lt. Killer M

That means we are 8 players so far ! We won't be more than that, but if anyone suddenly doesn't think he wants to take part in the game, then please say it quickly ! And we could welcome a new player of course.

P.S. : Vikings... I'm not into banning a civ. Maybe Vikings are more deadly in humand hands than other civs. But then, it could lead other players to ally against the Vikings, and the player behind the Scandinavian civ would have to face difficult turns. It's all about being too weak or too strong. Being too strong can lead you to some difficult moments, and please wonder what happened to Napoleon.
Old 30-06-2004, 17:04   #20
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

I am definately in!

I am also for free civ choice with free trait choice - this WILL make things more interesting.

or we disable civ abilities totally, that's another option.

Also, we should pull random numbers for player order