Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 31-01-2005, 10:19   #31
digger760
King

I managed to see Time Commanders for the first time on BBC2 last night...I heard it was on discovery ages ago..but i only recently got cable.

Time Commanders is basically uses the RTW engine (before it was released) with bunch of oldies with no apparent skill in tactics what-so-ever commanding the armies against...the AI i think.

Last nights show had the Human (which i from know on i shall refer to as "The Dumbos") commanding Alexanders army against an indian foe. For some bizzare reason the humans put there weakest units (javelin throwers or archers??) on the right flank..to face the Indian war elephants. In the course of battles the Elephants chased the archers off the map..The Dumbo's still ignoring the elephant threat carried on with there assault against the indians..which consist of an not very effective cavalry charged on the opposite indian flank. The Elephants turned back and had the the bulk of the Greek centre line... about 4-5 Hoplites groups..lined of for rear on attack..lets just say that it was shortly over for the greeks after that.

Near the end of the battle I could here The dumbos saying..what are those guys over there???

They are your units running from the field you idiots!!!

So there you go Aggie...the AI is still smarter than some it seems!!!
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 17:23   #32
anarres
anarchist butcher

Time Commanders is funny - it's amazing to watch people fall apart and fail to assess the situation and forces available.

It makes you wonder what would happen if any of us got to go on, they would have to pull the series as the AI gets nailed at every battle.
Old 31-01-2005, 18:04   #33
DrAlimentado

what's better is that this really very piss poor team were all servicemen! even after the battle they couldn't understand why giving the enemy elephants free range of their own rear hurt them...

They also limply blamed the greek cavalry for not 'performing as expected' - lol, so funny to hear the soldiers blaming the little sprites performance! what they meant was 'like idiots we expected our heavy cavalry to win the battle - cos Alexander was a cavalry hero, right?'

Last week though was a family team - really young kids but the mum barked orders like a proper generalissimo and they kicked ass!

I suspect the 'ai' is actually being controlled as well, it performs rather 'normally' imo. If not there must be a lot of cuts where the ai general marches his troops onto the field and immediately suicide charges the teams front-line but you never know.

dam, thats too much chatter about a pretty weak show.
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 16:24   #34
digger760
King

So far i have only managed to play this game on my laptop. The old desktop PC with an 1600XP processor and geforce4MX440 seemed to struggle with it, this is unfortunatle because the Desktop has a far better sound system then the laptop. I even have a sub-woofer speaker which would make the battles all the more dramatic.

I noticed a thread on one of the links DrA posted about somebody who had it running on a geforce4MX440 with a PCI card!!! So I updated my driver, and with that it gave me the option of taking away control of anti-aliasing and some other graphical controls from RTW. This fixed the framerate problem and now it is playable at 800x600. I also downloaded to the Desktop the total realism mod and played a few historical battles.

I won the first (for get the name but its the one were the Romans are ambushed by General Hanibal and his cronies)

I started the second. The Battle of Gaugamela (had to try this after seeing Alexander the Crappy). Its a bit hard to see whats going on at 800x600 and with lots of units the framerate begins to stutter. But the charge of the Persian units in the battle of Gaugamela was an impressive site. I think i'm gonna have to download the total realism mod to the Laptop and see how it goes with better graphics.

I was even looking for the battle they did on crappy time commanders last week..but did'nt see it in the list in RTW.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 23:23   #35
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

With the patch 1.2 some bugs were fixed but some new appeared. Well, Firaxis is not the only company making glitchy games. And in RTW the bugs are not that bad. It is just that now you set battles for very hard and it is indeed normal but normal is indeed biased and strongly towards the AI. And other multiple issues as well, about a hundred.

Interestingly, people in the totalwar.org and also playing succession games!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=21171

Have not seen a user named Aggie there but the idea seems nice and once I get my skill up with this game, it is certainly worth playing just to make it more interesting. The whole campaign is extremely time-consuming, so nice idea to split it between a few players.
Old 27-04-2005, 08:42   #36
Shabbaman
Administrator

Sounds like a good idea. Although I recently uninstalled it, there's nothing that would prevent me to reinstall
Old 27-04-2005, 12:33   #37

RTW is great game but I prefer Civ and HoI2
Ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 12:34   #38
Aggie
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

Have not seen a user named Aggie there but the idea seems nice and once I get my skill up with this game, it is certainly worth playing just to make it more interesting. The whole campaign is extremely time-consuming, so nice idea to split it between a few players.
One of the consequences of my relationship is that my PC game time is severely limited I would have loved to play R:TW SG's otherwise. I registered on The Guild a few months ago, another R:TW forum, but not nearly as great as either CFC or CDZ... I didn't know about this one.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 14:03   #39
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It is a great fun on very hard/very hard and I'm getting my ass kicked by Gauls playing as Julii. Hope the assasins can help to take care of their nasty generals. The most bizzare is the heavy cavalry bug when attacking heavy cavalry overruns anything, chopping straight through my mercenary hoplite phlanax and beheading hastati by hundreds. Surprisingly, but on normal difficutly it is even worse than that. I somehow mastered the economy though. It seems rather simple indeed: do not build what you don't need and don't build too many troops. Either enslave or sometimes exterminate when the loot is good. But diplomacy and battles are a real pain, especially fighting heavy cavalry. Diplomacy and diplomats are extremely glitchy and it is very difficult to take care of all relationships and wars since AI is extremely unpredictable, even worse than Civ3. Brutii seems the easiest campain once you can master the handling of Macedonian troops. And I have not even started reading or playing Scipii.

The twcenter.net is by far the greatest forum. I have not registered their either, just lurking. On the other hand, the totalwar.org site is rather useless. Their guides suck and don't really help imho.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:39   #40
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I'm still having my ass kicked and really hard this time. Now it is a pandemia of deaths from natural resons. Old fraction leader, heir, an 8-star general and 8-management guy all died within 3 turns along with a few wives but no signs of plague. Must say that fraction leader was 79 years old. Also, I have not saved for about 10 turns playing straight and my fraction leader (10-star general with 8 management and 8 influence) died in battle with Thracian rebels and all his carefully selected and pested retinue is gone. I'm having 13 provinces and am number one in military and trade (number 3 or 4 in population and finances) but only 5 family members. Seems that I have a choice of either replaying from the earlier save (that is going to be a boring task, would hate to do this) or just start another game learning on mistakes made in this one. Seems that I would go for the second option even though it is only 239BC.

The main success from this game is that I'm starting to lear how to wage an efficient siege with minimal losses, use Principes in a right way and how to get to Pontifex Maximus and other Senatorial offices in a very short time (at 245BC I had 4 out of 6 offices). Main setback: Vey annoying agents interface. I've had about 30 diplomats/spies/assassins and browsing through the list and moving them is a real hassle. Money making and keeping citizens happy is a done deal. Rapid growth also seems to be mastered.

Still cannot find a good tactics with training assassins and fighting Gaul.