Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 03-05-2006, 20:57   #1
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Default Pitboss issues

I copy pasted stuff from grs' forum. Here you go you lazy chemist

I dont know what the hell they are talkin about, but since I bothered to copy paste, no way am I gonna let it go to waste
Quote:
quote:
Akots:
As for me, I cannot even start PitBoss application. I've posted at CFC and tried to contact tech support to no avail.

Gyathaar:
What fails?

Akots:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...&postcount=378

Gyathaar:
hmm.. looks like pythonh has problems with cp1251 charset (cyrilic) .. perhaps try to switch your PC settings to english and see if that would make it work?

start -> settings -> control panel -> regional and language settings -> advanced .. then select the language version for non unicode programs
Perhaps see if 1251 ANSI is installed on your PC.. its on same settings page

Dunno if this will fix it thou

Akots:
I tried without success since 1251 ANSI is there by default. That is a strange and weird problem since Civ itself is doing just fine.

Akots:
Ok, I've fixed my stupid PitBoss. What I did is I renamed by cp1251.pyt to cp1251.pyt.backup and copied my cp1252.pyt and renamed the copy to cp1251.pyt. I can now play PitBoss!

Now, still the quality of the Firaxis products is amazing and especially is amazing the quality of fixes to these products that actually help. Might be there is a similar idiotic fix of the Oracle bug.
Note that I left out (I think) comments that have to do with grs (if there were any)
Old 03-05-2006, 21:59   #2
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Thanks, Paal.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:07   #3
Gyathaar

In a way this bug was not really in pitboss.. the bug seemed to be in standard python library files that is included with civ4.
Wonder if there are newer versions of that system file somewhere.
Gyathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:50   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

Well, there was a guy named CivIndeed that was screaming about Civ4 using old versions of Python and zlib -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=141417

Perhaps it's related?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:50   #5
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Well, I ain't no expert with python and things but I might have updated the stuff already just because I don't like to stay vulnerable over the internet. Also, it might be I know the origin of the probem which were the Russian mod for Civ4. I've installed it and it had a modified cp1251.pyt file. Then, during uninstall, the files were supposed to be swapped back to the original one. There could have been some errors associated with this. The mod is very harmless and does not modify anything important except providing for language translating everything into Russian.

But how this might influence PitBoss which is actually a very basic interface without any fancy graphics or convenience of use? It looks like a very old Windows 3.1 program without all required options that have to be changed/edited manually.

It is also quite possible that that multitude of people who actually cannot normally play MP over PitBoss do not indeed have their assets modified but have installed a mod which does not have a proper uninstall mechanism or somehow have altered their system fonts and coding tables.

So, these people are suffering because of stupidity of the programmers which have built this idiotic interface.

Now, I have tried to run it overnight and apparently, I don't have a problem with increased traffic like described by the others. So, I think I can rather reliably host a PitBoss game at home. Unless there is a blackout in Houston similar to what happened recently in mid-April (95F and everyone turned on their AC while two power plants were on scheduled maintenance).
Old 04-05-2006, 02:52   #6
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyathaar

In a way this bug was not really in pitboss.. the bug seemed to be in standard python library files that is included with civ4.
Wonder if there are newer versions of that system file somewhere.
Would the updated version still compatible with Civ or it would call for modified assets again?

I know, it is a good idea to play unprotected games but sometimes you need them protected just to stay competitive and not relaxed.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:16   #7
Gyathaar

I tested and it doesnt seem to check the files in assets/python/System dir for modified assets (its easy to check.. just see if you can load the lastest GOTM6 save or similar)

Also noticed you are referring to the files as .pyt files? On my machine they are all .pyc files (compiled python).. including the cp1251 file..
Gyathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:40   #8
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Sorry, my bad with extensions. It is indeed pyc. I told, I really suck with this kinds of things.

Cetainly, I can load and play protected GOTM just fine. Only need to uninstall Russian mod. Now, the version of the mod had been released for patch 1.61 and I will try it with the GOTM save as well. It should work without need for uninstalling.