Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 31-01-2005, 12:48   #31
Socrates
Emperor

Well I'm glad not to play then. ICS is just not my way of playing Civ, and having hundreds of cities Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box isn't appealing. ICS is... not a brilliant RBCiv tactic, so...

Good luck to our team ! (I should stop saying that, they'll get annoyed )
Old 31-01-2005, 17:15   #32
anarres
anarchist butcher

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by col

Back in the days of the tournament, (ask Grandpa Beam) we had one game per season that were fastest culture games. The winning strategy was always ICS. Forget wonders. Two or three temples will give you the same culture for a lot less shields. A few hundred cities with temples and libraries gives a lot of culture. The main difficulty is balancing the military needed to ever-increase land area up to the dom limit, with the infrastructure needed to generate culture.

Hundreds of small cities are the way to go. No buildings other than temple, lib, rax crammed in as tight as its possible to get ie one square apart. It essentially means generating a constant flow of settlers then pop rushing temples.

Its a very different kind of game.
I used to excel at those games, since 95% of people tried to build early temples in all their cities.

col - my only amendment to your comment is that your CORE must NOT be ICS. I can't state that enough!!!! If your core is ICS you won't be able to afford all those rushed temples/libs later on because your max production is much smaller.

The way to win is to play as normal conquest, but when your cities hit 90% corruption to go ICS. Then when you have enough land (enough land < 66% when borders are expanded, but as close to it as possible) you rush temples/libs. a.k.a. loose core, ICS fringes.

If you want to get anal about it (and I do!) then you work out the SHIELDS PER CULTURE POINT ratio of each building and rush all the lowest value buildings first, as cash becomes available (at this point in the game you are only ever waiting for $$$ to rush culture, nothing else).
Old 31-01-2005, 17:38   #33
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

&lt;snip&gt;...as cash becomes available (at this point in the game you are only ever waiting for $$$ to rush culture, nothing else).
But obviously not a concern this time, being stuck in Despo (and/or maybe reaching Communism) its gonna be pop-rushing and all the fun that entails.

30 shield temples will help though.

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 18:32   #34
col
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres
col - my only amendment to your comment is that your CORE must NOT be ICS. I can't state that enough!!!! If your core is ICS you won't be able to afford all those rushed temples/libs later on because your max production is much smaller.

The way to win is to play as normal conquest, but when your cities hit 90% corruption to go ICS. Then when you have enough land (enough land &lt; 66% when borders are expanded, but as close to it as possible) you rush temples/libs. a.k.a. loose core, ICS fringes.

If you want to get anal about it (and I do!) then you work out the SHIELDS PER CULTURE POINT ratio of each building and rush all the lowest value buildings first, as cash becomes available (at this point in the game you are only ever waiting for $$$ to rush culture, nothing else).
With pop rushing the only option with the unhappiness that it will bring, I'm not entirely convinced. Money is worthless except for upgrading units. I think this makes a crucial difference. The core simply needs to generate settlers as fast as possible. Production is only useful insofar as it allows you to build units to conquer territory. The only thing that matters ultimately is how fast you can build temples and libraries.
Old 31-01-2005, 18:43   #35
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It is a complicated balance of expansion (peaceful and military) and early culture. Since other teams also know how to play that kind of game. And apparently lots of workers/slaves to irrigate everything. But we should not discuss too much here since other team members will be lurking in the plans which is strictly prohibited in the SGOTM forum.
Old 31-01-2005, 18:51   #36
col
King

I guess we need a private forum for this.

Anarres?? PP??
Old 31-01-2005, 18:54   #37
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It should be OK at CFC since AlanH and Ainwood (current GOTM mods) keep an eye on team members lurking into competitor threads. We can safely start discussion after the game has started at CFC IMHO.
Old 31-01-2005, 18:56   #38
col
King

I'm gonna get a couple of practise games in. What are the initial conditions?

Quote:
quote:
Playable Civ - Celts
World size - 100 wide by 130 high.
Difficulty Emperor (approximately)
Landform Contiguous Pangea
The map is handbuilt, and therefore may not have a standard configuration.

This Months' sponsored variant is Cultural Celtic Communists the rules for which are as follows.

1. The only allowed governments are despotism and communism.
2. You must win by 100K victory condition.
Old 31-01-2005, 20:53   #39
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

It should be OK at CFC since AlanH and Ainwood (current GOTM mods) keep an eye on team members lurking into competitor threads. We can safely start discussion after the game has started at CFC IMHO.
I would very much like the thread here at CDZ since, well, I never go to CFC and do not intend on going to start that either. But, if the majority decides otherwise, I can cope with it...
Old 31-01-2005, 21:27   #40
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Dunno, since all other teams will be posting at CFC, might be better to have main thread there with turnlogs. But might be possible to discuss here as well.

Good thing, thanks to AlanH, there is no need to upload the saves any longer and all submissions and scorings are automated!