Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Beorn's Wintry Cavern
Home

Old 25-01-2008, 20:42   #31
Beorn
Disabled Vet

And I'm quite new to it []

That's nice to know about 3.13 though, so did they make all the economics retain decimals? How did they do? Is it the same for Sci/Com/Spy and Lux sliders?
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 21:53   #32
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Decimals are not kept or rounded iirc, but they are summed up for total figures for the empire. Thus, if you don't play with the slider you lose 0.9 beaker at maximum for the whole empire, not for each of the cities. I think same is for all other sliders. The bonuses are also there for the primary calculations. The bonuses are applied first for each city and then the result is summed and only then decimal discarded iirc. With slider maxed, you might actually lose something similar. For example, in older versions, if you have 7 beakers in a city with library, 7+7*0.25=8.75 which would have been 8 taken for the calculations. Now, this 8.75 goes to be added to total figures which does minimize the loss. So, previously, if you had 3 cities each making 8.75 beakers, you get total of 8*3=24 and now, you get 8.75*3=26.25 rounded to 26 regardless of slider setting.
Old 25-01-2008, 22:00   #33
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beorn
And I'm quite new to it []
There is another issue to consider here. With that kind of food, you can actually let the city grow, build library and market instead with "normal" pop-rushing, get population there increased and instead of quite hopeless cat-crunching little settlement, one can get a nice city especially on the coast with harbor which would bring 10-12 commerce per turn on its own just by existing there. If there are a few hills here and there, you can probably get production there up to make a cat every other turn with only occasional pop-rushing thus making 15 cats or so over the period of 40 turns.

I've had a Shakespeare's in Riga in CDZ World 1 game and actually while at first used pop-rushing with cats overflowing into Great Theater there for quite a while but then made a few calculations and figured out how much gold I've been losing by not allowing the city to grow.
Old 25-01-2008, 23:00   #34
killercane
Prince

Yep, grow your cities rather than doing this, especially in BTS. If you need a lot of troops, and Globe is available, Nationalism isnt far off, and drafting is where the real moolah is made.

Initiate the one turn growth cycle, draft a mace (70 hammers) or rifle (110!) every turn from Globe city, and put the 4-5 hammers per turn into something else. Any decent HE city can add a knight or cav every other turn with no happiness problems.

Add in the whip and Uni Sufferage, assume 8-10 cities, lots of food and happiness, and you can make 4-5 units per turn empire wide.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 23:00   #35
BCLG100
Deity

but if you'd gone to war then you'd have made up for that with gold and future gold. Which in essence is the idea.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 08:12   #36
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I took way too long to write that post so I'll just link to it and fish for help over at the other site:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...71#post6416871
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 27-01-2008, 11:17   #37
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I looked at your game. Actually, you are doing quite OK for a peaceful win. But you have some really strong AIs in the game which really got ahead in techs. I'm not sure how that happened. Also you could have apparently tried to kill Augustus earlier. Now he seems to be a bit powerful. Again, I'm not sure how that happened. And you apparently set yourself a goal of building every building allowed in the game. I'm not sure what is the point of banks in every city since they bring you 5-7 coins per turn at the cost of 200 hammers. For example, in Satsuma you need a harbor and not bank IMO. If you build military, that could have been more reasonable investment. But Augustus have Statue and war with him could be quite unpleasant. Also, you still seem to have state religion which does not help you tech trades. The only reason for this appears to be Pacifism you run for Tiwanaku but it is quite late in the game and great people are not that important any longer. Also, you do run Mercantilism and probably this loses you a lot of money since you trade income is awful. And also, you have a lot of unchopped forests which is again quite strange and seldom happens.

All this might be due to a lack of clear game plan in the beginning. You are set up for a cultural or UN win or so it seems but this does not seem to happen. Alas, this is not Civ3 and you cannot usually catch up after getting rather far behind. You can catch up but only by military means by hammering upon the opponents.

Otherwise, again, it looks quite nice, you just have a rather bad map with only a handful of health resources.
Old 27-01-2008, 17:08   #38
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Thanks a lot, between this and the other advices from CFC I might be able to win a game eventually

So yeah, the resources had me wish I was Washington for the happy and healthy points.

Civics and religions were indeed poorly chosen, but I was reluctant to change them for some reason - the anarchy didn't sound good enough to me, but it probably would've been.

And I'll specialize!!!!! I remember giving that advice countless times on C3C, and now I'm the one building everything everywhere
Old 28-01-2008, 00:05   #39
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

The Inca is OK overall but I think you missed the main point which is early kechua rush. So, you did not rush neither Augustus, nor Toku. At least, you could have stolen a worker or two to cripple their early development before they hooked up metal or horses. I'm not sure it is always best thing to do but most of the Inca players do that and quite successfully. May be there were something about the early game which could have been changed. So, being left unchecked, your neighbors grew strong and powerful and even though you managed to vassalize Toku, Augustus grew big. On normal game speed, that is quite a possibility. But you can tell more. There were very little early game info in that CFC thread.