Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 19-10-2008, 22:25   #1
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.
Default Civ 4 The Monk SP Challenge

Credits for the concept go to Herr Doctor Killer: a Tibetan Monk in an isolated position trying to survive against stronger opponents with the help of a few well defendable chokepoints.

Implementation by Beam:
- Large Pangea with an area specially prepared for the Monk
- Always war
- Raging Barbs
- One City Challenge
- No Vassal States

01 version has a fix to prevent the human from capturing an AI cap in the opening turns.

Your task is to survive and have a level 10 unit before the AI achieves a victory condition and post a picture of the whole screen including that level 10 unit. Attaching Great Generals to achieve level 10 is prohibited!

Sample picture (yeah I know there is a Great General attached but hey it is a sample right?)

You can start with three varieties.

Straight

Prince level.

1. socralynnek - 1824AD

Catatonic

Monarch

1. IanDC - 1795AD
2. Beam - 1912AD

Wise Guy

Guess what, Emperor.

The files are true zip files now. Just unzip and put the file in your Saves /Single folder.

Some notes:
- With OCC on there is a max. of 5 National Wonders in your city.
- OCC plays pretty fast.
- Early on the AI probably will seem lame but as the game proceeds there will be bigger and bigger SoDs.
- Qin Sin Huang was selected as leader because a nice allround UU comes along and he builds wonders fast.

Have fun and enjoy!

The files are true zip files now. Just unzip and put the file in your Saves /Single folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MonkWiseGuy01.zip (23.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: zip MonkStraight01.zip (23.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: zip MonkCatatonic01.zip (23.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Beam; 27-10-2008 at 23:08. Reason: 01 fix
Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 22:36   #2
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Winrar says the archive (straight) is damaged or unknown.
what version of what zip program did you use?

Last edited by Lt. Killer M; 19-10-2008 at 22:44.
Lt. Killer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 22:47   #3
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Killer, jsut save the file to disk and remove the .zip extension.

Since it might be confusing for ppl I see if I can install and use WinZip.
Old 19-10-2008, 22:50   #4
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam View Post
Killer, jsut save the file to disk and remove the .zip extension.

Since it might be confusing for ppl I see if I can install and use WinZip.

AARGH!!!!!

I should have read ALL of your post!
Old 20-10-2008, 00:29   #5
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

an interesting challange.

Status so far:
- eliminated one neighbor ASAP
- no serious attempt made to attack me
- am razing another neighbor as fast as I can
Old 20-10-2008, 02:05   #6
barbu1977
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
an interesting challange.

Status so far:
- eliminated one neighbor ASAP
- no serious attempt made to attack me
- am razing another neighbor as fast as I can
I've decided to do the opposite. My niebours will be there to stay, therefore killing their units when they are produced.
Old 05-07-2010, 15:09   #7
SilentConfusion
Chieftain

I know nobody has tried this challenge since 2008. I was looking for something to do and I like challenges like this in general. Also I don't think I've ever made a level 10 unit even with a GG, so why not try. Since nobody had completed it at Emperor difficulty and because it's the closest to the difficulty level I normally play I took the Wise Guy save and played it through.

Completed on first play-through. Got a level 10 Cho-Ko-Nu in the year 1660 AD. I think playing on an easier diff level might make for a later time.

I scouted with my initial archers, trying to meet everyone so they'd declare war on me. They won't send troops if they're not at war. They might not send troops anyway if they're far away, but it didn't hurt.

I had an issue of my defensive positions being too strong so that units would approach but when I moved onto the Fort tile to defend they would leave because of their odds. I took to standing outside the fort, and eventually I chopped that forest to give myself less defense.

I used a Cho-Ko-Nu unit with Drill IV to minimize damage taken when in battle. Defending gets you a lot more XP just because you can defend against any number of units but you can only attack 1. I usually used a catapult to weaken the attacking forces, then when they'd attack my CKN killed them all and a Medic healed him quickly. All of my GGs I settled in my capitol so that by the end my troops were coming out with 15 or 17 XP.

I built a ton of wonders and every GP after the first GS who built an Academy was settled.

Here's a picture of my city at the end and a picture of my Level 10 Cho-Ko-Nu.

SilentConfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 23:17   #8
Beorn
Disabled Vet

1540 AD on Emperor

After an aborted, bashful go with rifles on easy, I realized there wouldn't be enough SoD's to just sit and wait for XP to float in. My plan was to go out, heckle neighbors but leave their city defense stacks alive by 1 unit. That way they reinforce, I get to attack again, etc.

Oracled machinery, rushed 2 raiding parties of 3 ChuKoNus at the neighbors to attack anything I could get a grip on. Gave them reinforcements ASAP with a few Chu's and tons of trebs. On to steel for cannons and the rest is history.

Initial 3 were promoted 1 drill, 1 healer (march asap), 1 strength (march asap). I almost made those initial stacks 2 Chus, 1 spear and 1 axe, but was afraid they'd steal from the lead Chu XP on defense. The AI seldom attacked my stacks early on and I only lost Chu's to very large stacks and/or elephants. The high-XP french raiders got wiped that way. The lead Chu in Ethiopia made it by the skin of its teeth once: there were 3 AIs' stacks right before cannons got in, I cornered them in the mountains and they lashed out trying to escape.

Now, I cheated. Sorry. There was a reload early on where one of my protective, lvl 3 archers got killed in a forest by a barb warrior. That was just bullshit. He's the loser that died from french elephants, which is serendipitous. Still, doesn't deserve to go on the leaderboard.

If I do it again, I'll send a spy or 2 ASAP to meet and taunt all 7 AIs in the hopes they'll come knocking. Other than that, the Chu did surprisingly great.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park

Last edited by Beorn; 17-04-2019 at 23:26.
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote