Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 04-10-2006, 18:41   #11
Socrates
Emperor

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=188222

I think Mandriva 2007 is worth a shot. Or two. Or three. Shots in Windaube's heart.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:25   #12
Socrates
Emperor

So, as pointed out by myself in the CFC thread, the Mandriva news was a false alert. Cedega built-in in the commercial release only...

Been testing CEDEGA tonight (thanks Beam, you know why )

Conclusion : I'm staying with my dual boot for the moment.

It took me some time to set up the 3D acceleration for the nVidia gfx card. Then I downloaded Cedega 5.2.3, updated it to 5.2.6, and proceeded to install Civ4 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. Took me some time to figure out some stuff, but I eventually managed to get it installed (though I think a n00b on a PC will be clueless as to what to do, plus I must have installed some shit twice or thrice on the HD, not sure, but this isn't good on Linux).

Joy came in as I launched the game and patched to 1.61. I immediately loaded my PBEM against Darkness, and there I was !!

It took me 30 seconds to understand that, unless something changes, I won't play Civ4 on Linux until further notice. I can see ALL the tiles on the map (or maybe only the tiles in the part of the map accessible to the camera), but no city, no unit, no border, no resource, etc... that I can't see normally. Some stuff like trees, jungle and rivers are BLACK. Darkness, if you're reading this, don't worry, I got almost no spoiler info, and forgot it all already. Just to make sure that I could see some tiles near my line of sight that I shouldn't see normally.

The game is slower than on WinXP, clearly. I won't be able to play standard maps in the industrial age, that's for sure (but will I still be alive then ? ). Also some other glitches, like city name and info covered by some blueish pixels, icons being different...

Clearly, the game is unplayable as is, even in solo. Did I miss anything important ? Is my PC too old to handle it ? Beam, how is it for you ? If something can easily be fixed, then I'm all for trying it again. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to forget it for the moment (might try updates for... a bit less than 3 months, but with no conviction).

So dual boot it is. Oh my fucking God, Bill Gates won't let me goooooooooo !!!
Old 14-01-2007, 23:48   #13
Matrix
Administrator

Never took the time to look at Beam's sig, until now. It reminds me of two pictures I have :

34.07KB

33.2KB
Old 15-01-2007, 00:19   #14
Socrates
Emperor

I'll try to test Civ4 with Cedega again soon. Maybe there is a little tweak so that it can work ?...
Old 15-01-2007, 11:51   #15
bed_head7

I may need to join you in this endeavor. I reformatted my hard drive out of some frustration in November, and have since experimented with a couple of distributions, settling on SuSE 10.1 for the time. I had intended upon reinstalling XP for Civ play on a small partition, but I don't know where the boot disk is, and am not paying for another copy.

And, very nice pics, Matrix.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 00:02   #16
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

I'll try to test Civ4 with Cedega again soon. Maybe there is a little tweak so that it can work ?...
I tweaked the Cedega settings which made CiV work for me on Linux, will post those coming days. As said if ya can't run CiV in XP it won't either in Linux. I also extensively tested C3C with the very performance heavy WWII mod. If anything graphical is involved Linux is slower (due to Windoze prop. stuff imo) but the IBT runs much faster. Same with racesims, one of my other favorites. So atm I do everything but games in Ubuntu and maintain a small XP install for gamestuff.
Old 16-01-2007, 01:08   #17
Socrates
Emperor

Been waiting for you to post in this thread for months...

- I'll be waiting for those Cedega settings, and will also resume searching for a solution (after the burden at school is gone).

- Of course it'd better run well on WinXP before you do anything with it on Linux. That's OK here, except on big maps in the late game (no solution but buy a new PC, which I won't do before some time).

- It's perfectly clear that graphics will run slower than on WinXP because of the translation from DirectX. But it's funny to see that algorithms (IBT) can go quicker (do you have a small analysis to prove it ? ).

- So you went backwards ? No more Civ on Linux with Cedega ?
Old 16-01-2007, 22:51   #18
Beam
c00l b33r

So first the settings, this is for the patched version and don't ask me what is what as I'm a Linux n00b:

General:

54.01KB

Audio:

39.24KB

Graphics:

55.7KB

And what it looks like windowed on a 1280x960 Ubuntu Desktop (resized for upload):

135.27KB

Nothing backwards in general as I can play both in Linux and XP as I like, the slower graphics just get annoying in a huge mod like WWII depsite the faster IBT which even under Linux still is long enough to prep some food while under XP it is long enough to do the associated shopping etc.
Old 16-01-2007, 23:11   #19
Socrates
Emperor

Beam, you got a software update ! I hope you did it, it's free and automatic (hooray to Linux).

Seriously, I thought it was "Siebe". Don't think I heard any "d" or "t" last time I went to NL.
Old 16-01-2007, 23:24   #20
Beam
c00l b33r

Krys, if you every decide to take a course in Dutch you'll learn soon we "dt" a lot of words . In this case it might mean "Doom of Thunder"

Please try and keep us posted if you can make it work!