Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 01-12-2005, 20:29   #11
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Beamster declared at least once so no submission, fun game 'though!
Old 01-12-2005, 22:26   #12
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Conquest is not that hard but in this game razing cities is not allowed which leaves only the Domination option apparently. I have not declared myself yet but still far away from finish. Also, may be I'm reading the rules wrong but once somebody asks you to join the war, you can agree and you don't have to make peace until AI comes to you and asks for straight peace and your alliance partner had also made peace. Is that right?
Old 01-12-2005, 22:27   #13
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

yes indeed - in epic games, it's always space. At least for me - unless I make a really determined effort to always stay in the wars; then, domination is possible. Sometimes.

In my normal games, I turn Space off.
Old 02-12-2005, 00:30   #14
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:it's always space
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08   #15
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Don't know, I don't think I have violated the rules at least to my stupid knowledge. Also hope it is not much of a spoiler.

Warning! Spoiler information below according to Sirian!

Removed as requested

Old 03-12-2005, 21:22   #16
Sirian

Hi guys. I'm glad to see that interest in the Epics is spreading.

However, I have a request to make. We've got a situation here. It looks accidental, and that is understandable under the circumstances. Link posted, players looking for a good time, game grabbed and played, results posted. Simple enough, right? The problem is that I've received a complaint from someone who is both an RBCiv member and a CDZ member.

The foundation of the RBCiv tournament is the No Spoilers rule. This is far and away our most important rule. It's the thing that led me to create the Epics, since there was no such thing as a spoiler-free tournament at the time, anywhere on the net.

Some of you may not understand or know our rules, but if you want to be part of our community, this rule makes the difference. Some of you may not care about our rules and not plan to have anything to do with our community, and that's fair enough, for your own sake. However, some of our other players do care, and spoilers impact them and their fun. Please respect RBCiv and our membership -- and your fellow CDZ members who are also RB members -- by observing at least this one rule: NO SPOILERS. No info at all about the map, situation, results, or anything else about an Epic that is still Open. The only info that is permissable to share is that you've started the game, or finished it, or are still playing. Anything else is a spoiler. No spoilers please.

Beam and akots, I figure this is just a minor misunderstanding. I'm sorry about that! Not meaning to ambush you guys here, and I am glad you had a good time with the game. (That's the whole point!) We've never had this situation before, with people linking in to our site without any familiarity with our customs or the reasoning behind them. If you would please, I request that you take down the spoilers, out of respect. If you are not inclined to agree, then I would ask you at least to enclose them in spoiler tags so that others are not exposed to them by chance. (I'm assuming you can edit your posts -- I saw that removing a post is against the rules here, but I'm only interested in the spoilers.) The intent isn't to step on your fun, but to protect that of others. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry that your intro to Realms Beyond comes in this form. I hope you won't hold it against us.

- Sirian
Sirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 21:53   #17
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Seriously. I take offense to this

If you take the time to look around here I am fairly sure you'll find that we are quite aware of how to behave in relation to spoilers.

Please refrain from implications of such an attitude as that which you are representing here. I speak only for myself, as usual, and I doubt if I ll ever take part in the RB stuff - but people here are wellbehaved and know their way around spoilers.

We have an entire section set aside for spoiler writing related to our pbem game activity. If you bothered to look before you post, you might have a more reflected opinion, and not come off as condesending (at least this is my view of what you are writing about).

I guess this may or may not be your first and only post here, and I dont know if you ll read this (if not tipsed by someone who tipsed you in the first place ).

But my message to you, put rather bluntly: Sometimes it is better to think before you post (TM).

Edited to include less shouting, seeing as I really am rather polite of nature.
Old 03-12-2005, 22:35   #18
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

@Sirian: OK, I have edited the post. But really, do not want to sound as an asshole, there is no much spoiler info there as my little understanding of the game goes at least in my post. However, it is your game and your RBCiv community, so whatever you decide that is how it is apparently.
Old 03-12-2005, 22:50   #19
Kemal

@paal: Don't know what the fuss is about, really, it reads like a reasonable request from Sirian to me... If you want to play their game, abiding their rules seems like a normal thing to do, doesn't it? Whether you agree with those is a second, but you can simply not play the epics if you don't.
Old 03-12-2005, 22:57   #20
Sirian

akots: I appreciate your willingness to be cooperative.

The standard isn't "not much" spoiler info, though, it's no spoiler info. I do not want to sound like a jerk, either, but your posts aren't there yet. Both of your posts still have spoiler info.

Your question is OK, but anything other than "I'm playing, I'm still playing, and I'm done" is a spoiler. Spoilers only matter while the game is still open. Some things aren't much of a spoiler, but we don't want any spoilers.

The reason for the rule is to keep it simple. "No spoilers" is clear and unambiguous. "Not much of a spoiler" is subjective and subject to argument. It's better for us, all around, not to have any such arguments. Simpler is better and easier.

This is not my rule alone. It's supported by the other RB administrators, by the community, and has held up for three and a half years across more than fifty games. It's a big deal to us. Even if you don't understand why, I hope you will respect it. Krys says I'm being hard about the rules, but I was always hard about the rules. He arrived later, and missed the early fireworks from the Civ3 Epics.

Questions about a variant rule are welcome, but should be posed as hypotheticals, revealing as little about your game situation as possible while still asking your question.

The answer to your question is that you had it right, except perhaps on the "straight peace" thing. If the AI is offering concessions or straight peace, you have to take it, in the situation you described. If they are demanding concessions from you, you can ignore them. This is a variant rule from Epic One, not a regular tournament rule, so you won't have to worry about it again, most likely, if you play another Epic. (And if you had a good time, I hope you come back for more.)

Did you play in an SG with Charis, once? I saw you mention him and Justus II in another thread. We've been leaving Charis alone for the past year or so. He's been very busy with real life activities. I expect him to poke his head up at some point, though for how long is anybody's guess. I hope long enough to play at least one with me. I miss our old two-man games.

- Sirian
Sirian is offline   Reply With Quote