Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 04-11-2005, 16:33   #21
Banzai

I like the fact that you can pop a settler from a hut by founding your first city right next to it!

55.16KB

Old 04-11-2005, 16:53   #22
Rik Meleet

WOW !!
Old 04-11-2005, 17:00   #23
DrAlimentado

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

I like that the Economics tech picture looks like a woman with a dildo up her arse ....

4.78 KB

actually I think it is a vibrator as it has a power cord right?
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 22:08   #24
grs
The Nameless One

Thought it was a tampax...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30   #25
digger760
King

Dislikes:
I get a feeling of Call to Power, where there is too much many domestic options, you end up playing 50-100 turns and might have built 1 por 2 offensive units. This is re-inforced by the fact that I have played a game upto ~100AD and not a single battle between the AI!

Can't see units on Auto explore (perhaps there is an option to enable this?)

Build Queue, in the city screen is all pictures. I have to mouse over each one to see how long it takes to build. My work around plan is to leave the build queue empty and normally i get a pop up later asking what to build and this is a much better summary of items to build.

Sometimes I have been given the end of turn option when units can still move.

Very hard to see resources without the toggle resource display thing on. I'm not keen on the gtraphics at all, very hard on the eye sight to distinguish things

I like the breakdown of happiness, heath and relationships with other civs (i.e +2 for this -1 for something else)

So far I like the concept of civics and religion, they have certainly added something fresh to the game

I like the worker options, i.e having to build a road and quarry to connect stone, i took a bit of a hit in my first game not relising you had to build more than a road to connect a resource.

So far I like the upgrade options, but must admit i have no clue what to pick when they arise.

Overall - A very different game compared to Civ1, 2 and 3. Gonna take alot of getting used to.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 16:24   #26
Matrix
Administrator

Digger, you'll get used to the graphics and will recognise everything ok later on.
Old 07-11-2005, 16:35   #27
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

I like the fact that you can pop a settler from a hut by founding your first city right next to it!
Quote from manual.

Quote:
quote:
Note that it is only possible to get a settler or worker from a village on Warlord or lower difficulties.
Shame on you!

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 16:52   #28
Melifluous
Administrator

Oh and to keep on topic

I like the way if you try and attack someone by the right click move and dont let go of the button it shows you a breakdown of how it sees the fight going.

Cavalry WILL NOT beat Pikemen

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 17:07   #29
Banzai

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

Quote from manual.

Quote:
quote:
Note that it is only possible to get a settler or worker from a village on Warlord or lower difficulties.
Shame on you!

Melifluous

Hey... when you experiment with things you do not start on diety right?
Old 07-11-2005, 23:37   #30
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

What I really like most about this game is the very big difference with previous Civ releases. A lot of new things to be learned.

The promotion system is really nice, the unit specific abilities are as well! War elephants and maceman for example have a strength of 8 but the elephant can't fortify and have a bonus vs. Mounten Units while maceman can fortify and have a bonus vs. Melee units. One other thing I like is you can see defending stacks in cities, city defense bonus etc. although I would have preferred the ability to investigate cities. Haven't found it, may have missed it.

Another thing I like is Firaxis got rid of the somewhat cramped min/max number of turns to research techs and the flexibility in the tech tree. The in game tech tree isn't very clear however which techs are needed for a certain improvement / unit / tech etc. You really need to check what are the prereqs for a unit for example.

Although the worker routine seems to be an upgraded version of the Civ III routine I really like the double movement for workers and their workspeed. In Civ III I hated jungle tiles just because it took so long to remove them. In Civ IV it is 4 turns max iirc. Although workers can get instructions to do 2 things with one command (like building a farm on a forest which will provide shields for chopping plus irrigation) most of the time you'll want to split the instruction in 2 seperate steps. But maybe it is jsut something to get used to. Personally I still have little confidence in automated workers.

I really like the new <s>corruption</s> maintenance and <s>pollution</s> health models. There are measurements to the negative effects of both although keeping good health very much depends on an abundant availability of health resources. Fish, crab and clam add health but are among the first to be pillaged once the AI declare war, very often out of the blue.

The city governer looks pretty good although I haven't gone into detailed analysis how well it does its job. Good thing is cities are adjusted immediately once you get a happy face out of a deal for example.

What I really have to get used to is the Diplo (F4) screen. What's good is that 2 mouseclicks are enough to see what the AI is willing to trade. The single most annoying thing is that once talks are finished with an AI you go back to the map instead of the main F4 screen you came from. So you need to press F4 once more to check the next AI and so on. Another annoying thing is that resources and techs from AI are the only stuff available from overview screens, not other things like techs AI doesn't have, cash, gpt, treaties etc. So if you want to do a check of AI status you still need to go and talk with all of them.

Something major to get used to in Diplo is wether the AI wants to trade a tech / resource. First of all I am under the impression this is determined in the IT. I've never seen a change of techs available for trade during a normal turn. The other thing is the mechanism which makes an AI willing to trade a tech. I'm pretty sure religion plays a role and that's about it.

Things I don't like:
- Advisor screens, F1 and military advisors are the major suckers.
- Peace deal exploit.
- In game World Builder.
- Black terrain on a number of platforms.
- Mouse-overs to often don't work.
- Lack of info about AI whereabouts

All-in-all a superb game imo (Firaxis ), released to soon however.