Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 18-03-2007, 22:51   #41
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

The list of things I need Windoze for is getting shorter and shorter . It basically comes down to:
- Checking old e-mails but the last time I needed to was about 4 months ago. I could convert the Outlook mail to something in Linux but the need isn't to pressing.
- A race sim (F1 Challenge 99-02) some of my friends like to play when they are over here. It runs on Ubuntu / Cedega but less nice. As you can see in the pic I'm working on that issue.
- Some XP support for family/friends but I've got an XP notebook as well which could do the job.
- CDZ get-togethers until I'm 100% sure it is a no-hassle job to put the box in a LAN game no matter what network etc.
- Couple of smaller things related to XP stuff that's just easier in XP but can also be done in Linux if I put some time in it.

138.48KB

From topleft clockwise some games:
- Racer. A free (as in beer) race simulation that runs on Linux, XP and Mac iirc. There is a huge community making tracks and cars. Pic shows a Golf R32 (comes close to my own car) on the legendary Nordschleife in Germany. Good thing to shake of adrenaline.
- Wolfenstein 3D. A 3D (what's in a name) fps that put the genre on the map. Hell, I maybe spent as much time playing this game as I did playing Civ I. It runs in Dosbox another sourceforge project.
- Civ IV of course, PBEM with krys I play from Linux.
- Rogue. The first game ever to use random map generation so imo some of it at least is a predecessor to civ. It still is very difficult to complete a game despite it is 25 years old!
Old 18-03-2007, 23:23   #42
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

You have Rogue!! I spent hours playing that!!!!!
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 23:27   #43
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

You have Rogue!! I spent hours playing that!!!!!
Doesn't make you an addict But if you got say 100k left in your mailbox I could make you one.
Old 16-04-2007, 14:35   #44
Beam
c00l b33r

Because just the thought of having to go into Windoze once a day for the Pitboss game was driving me crazy I spend some effort to get Warlords working in Linux.

Et voila!

For those interested: installing Warlords under Cedega is problematic and I couldn't get it to work. Instead I'm running the exe from the Windoze installtion using a directory of the Cedega Civ IV installation.

120.94KB

188.26KB
Old 16-04-2007, 14:55   #45
grahamiam
Emperor

doesn't cedega cost you $50 per year? Any chance you getting CIV to work with WINE?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 15:13   #46
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

doesn't cedega cost you $50 per year? Any chance you getting CIV to work with WINE?
Yes and no. You need a mandatory 3 month subscription for a total of $15. After 3 months you can quit the subscription but you won't get any updates. I decided to keep my subscription a bit longer but might cancel it soon now Cedega just has released 6.0, maybe wait for the first one or two fixes now. Transgaming support is bad but help on the forums is reasonable.

Haven't tried it with WINE yet but that's on the wishlist.

EDIT: here is why it might stay on the wishlist for quite a while http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?...TestingId=6024
Old 16-04-2007, 22:02   #47
Socrates
Emperor

Not sure what the problem was and what you did to solve it, but anyway, congrats once again ! One thing I notice is the font used by the game : tis the same as in the Linux desktop.

As for me, I haven't logged in Linux for more than a month now. I guess I won't do it before getting a new PC, and you know what ? It's tempting. Maybe once I have a full job...
Old 28-07-2009, 14:12   #48
Shabbaman
Administrator

I found a thread by munzy on that other site, about how to get civ4 run with WINE. Seems easy enough.