Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 20-05-2005, 19:53   #41
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Just watched the 15 min one, way cool! Lots of familiar stuff of course, the new concept of promotions seems very promising, all resources (28!) tradeble and last but not least PBEM and server based persistent multiplayer which allows games with a duration of months. Link to the vid: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...niv/media.html
Old 20-05-2005, 20:00   #42
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Since I find Civ to be more fun played versus softdrinks from the USA, bonecollectors from Germany and on team with metal freaks, I think the multiplayer news are really great.

I hope they get stable servers for this. I ve only ever been in 1 successful multiplayer game, where I lost with a terrible start condition relative to my nextdoor neighbour. Besides that one time, I havent been able to host a single event myself, and very often game lauch fail because of something I dont know how to fix...
Old 21-05-2005, 18:57   #43
smalltalk

Multiple unit units.

(Even the word is ugly.)
Old 21-05-2005, 21:57   #44
Matrix
Administrator

I have to say, reading the newest news on the front page (about pollution and unhappy people) I'm getting more and more exciting about it! My only fair is that it's getting too complicated. They do seem to add more stuff in the game than they are removing. We as civ-fanatics () can handle that and will like it, but I fear the threshold will be too big for beginning players.
Old 21-05-2005, 22:15   #45
Matrix
Administrator

Smalltalk, especially for you this poll. I don't give it much chance though.
Old 22-05-2005, 02:45   #46
Markstar
King

Too complicated? With eliminating defense/offense values for units and replacing corruption and pollution with global variables?
I don't think so.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 03:50   #47
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

Too complicated? With eliminating defense/offense values for units and replacing corruption and pollution with global variables?
I don't think so.
First, there would still be a certain probability of winning combat apparently. Whatever the values are, it does not matter how they are called as long as they determine the outcome of a particular combat. It would be just more intuitive and experience-based than rational without a/d/m values. And this is bad.

Second, with global corruption and pollution you don't know how to fight it. There sure would be some ways. But it could have been more tough. It would just be there and no way to do anything about it. If one remembers Civ1 global warming bug, this tells all. This might be also bad.

Third, I don't like the "spinning globe" idea. It speaks of low taste and major harware requirements. This would also mean that there would be an extremely complicated grid calculations and probably the productivity of a certain "tile" would depend on its area. And this is even more complicated. If it does not, then this whole ordeal is not worth a penny imho.
Old 22-05-2005, 15:03   #48
Matrix
Administrator

About the globe: the screenshot below is of the 13 minutes stream video with Soren Johnson. You can see the ice cap is rather big. I think it's just an old fashion, but morphed, map.

24.33KB

By the way, it seems we actually get a majority on the single-unit units poll!
Old 22-05-2005, 15:26   #49
smalltalk

Multiple units imply a different combat system. This is a bad
metaphor, unless the combat system is changed.

Units with hit-points have the same chance to win a rng-round regardless of how much hit points are left.

But a four-man unit obviously would have a far better chance to win against a one-man unit than against a four-man unit.
Old 22-05-2005, 17:03   #50
ERIKK

one man = 1 hitmpoint (hp)
4 man = 4 hp

etc etc, thats what Soren says in the 15 min video.
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote