Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

View Poll Results: So, Civ V is on it's way... excited?
Yes! 12 57.14%
No! 2 9.52%
I like cookies 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2010, 02:47   #21
Robboo
King

Started with Civ1, played civ 2 a littel then my computer was too outdated and I couldn't afford a new one till I was out of school. Never played civ 3... Seems I was getting married and having kids so I can not compare Civ 4 to Civ3..

Civ 4 was great in that while every turn counted you can make up headway. To this day my loss in a pitboss game by 1 turn in a space race haunts me as I know that I could have better micromanaged to get an extra few hammers. BUT in the end...I have a life and honestly it was still fun even losing by a turn or a few hammers. Its one of my most memorable games, even over some wins.

I also liked the "political" game in civ pitboss. All the deals and knowing who to trust based on who they played in previous games. Watching teams basically form to stop one player or a group of players and then watching those teams far part and turn on each other. That might happen in other games but CIV 4 was my first multiplayer game.

Civ 5....luckily it will come out later this year when the weather starts to suck and work slows down. So I need something to keep me out of trouble
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 18:57   #22
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Not quite sure yet, Civ4 never appealled to me in the way Civ3 did, as it with most of CDZ I guess. The getting married and having kids argument also worked against Civ4. Lately I have been playing Civ4 a bit more and actually grown to like it quite a bit. Still not the enthousiasm I had for no3 but still.

The 3d in Civ4 is totally unneccesary imo and only makes the game run like crap. My new laptop (6 months old) runs it smoothly but that's over 4 years after the game released, go figure.

Pretty sure I'll buy Civ5 the day it hits the shelves though. It's stronger than me you know......
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44   #23
Shabbaman
Administrator

I think it should be possible to program a 3d-game with a "force isometric view" option, to make it possible to play games on slower machines. Still, civ-games have been tough on the processing side of things as well, so on an old computer you'd be forced to play very tiny maps. I have the feeling there's not really a market for low-graph games, outside of the civ-community there's rarely a voice to be heard for 2d games. Although my computer can run civ5 without a problem I agree that 3d doesn't add a thing to the game. 3d doesn't distract from the game either. Personally I like decent graphics and sound.
Old 10-06-2010, 20:47   #24
ProPain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I think it should be possible to program a 3d-game with a "force isometric view" option, to make it possible to play games on slower machines. .
My sentiments exactly, and that should have been done for Civ4 as well
Old 10-06-2010, 21:48   #25
BCLG100
Deity

It does make it look nicer being played on a better computer but from a personal point of view I would prefer to be able to play the whole game and have slightly worse graphics rather than currently where the maximum is ~standard sized map.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:14   #26
Furiey
King

It definitely needs an option to shut all the fancy stuff off when playing on a low spec computer. With people wanting to play on everything from basic netbooks upwards it's a big range to deal with. I started playing Civ 4 on a PC only slightly below the recommended specs, could not get it to run at all without deoderant and never got it running properly. It looks so much better on what I have now, I would have played a lot more if I had this PC then, except it is so far off the top spec of what was available then. You shouldn't need what is now a high spec computer to play a 4 year old game properly. If it was any game but Civ I'd have uninstalled and forgotten about it.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:08   #27
Shabbaman
Administrator

I don't think you can run civ4 on a netbook, even if it were textbased.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:16   #28
socralynnek

Textbased?

You are located on a plains hill. A tank is approaching from the East.
What do you do?

;-)

We are kind of hardcore fans. We play this game for a few years. At that point, we have already seen the graphics a lot. For us usability and the core logic is more important. But to develop such a game, you need money. Money you get probably more from the occasional buyers who play the game for a few months. So I kind of agree with you that if they would like to please both, then maybe a low-graphics option would be nice.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:23   #29
Furiey
King

I frequent the Civ 4 technical support on CFC and people do manage to run it on a netbook. It's not quick, but the main issues tend to see are problems with the lack of a CD drive and problems with the screensize being less than the minimum Civ 4 likes. All these are solveable, it depends how much the player wants to put up with the crap performance.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 15:16   #30
ProPain

People shoudln't buy netbooks to play games, they're just backlit shopping lists with keyboards.